Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Biopsy and Good Results

You cannot imagine how amazed I was to find so many comments awaiting me when I logged on!!

To know that so many of you dear ones took the time to pray on my behalf and to offer me encouragement was humbling and delightful all at the same time . . . my thanks to each and every one of you :o)

I've decided to give a little glimpse of what transpired yesterday.

When I arrived at the hospital for the procedure, you can imagine my feelings as I glanced at their board to locate my name and discovered that the interventional cardiologist scheduled to perform the biopsy was the very same one who had performed the biopsy through my jugular vein that had gone wrong back in September!

I kept reminding myself not to worry ~ after all, it is the Lord who is in full control.

The nurses had me prepared in plenty of time for the 8AM start but the doctor didn't arrive until 15 minutes later and even then, stood in a little antreroom talking to someone and apparently taking his time because a nurse commented about it to me :o)

Because I'm so used to these procedures, I decline the valium that is offered to calm a person beforehand and as a result, I am wide awake and aware of what's going on.

The doctor in this case wondered WHY they were going through the groin for an out-patient biopsy when the norm is via the jugular vein. I had to remind him of what happened back in September and it rang a bell in his mind and he then told me that such an event could happen either way! That would not have been very comforting if I hadn't already known that to be the case :o(

He carried on and managed to get the blood samples needed and then attempted to get some heart muscle/tissue samples for the biopsy.

After several attempts, he appeared to get a little frustrated and said that I was *challenging*! One of the nurses said with a little laugh, that perhaps that was not something the patient wanted to hear! He quickly said that it wasn't a problem, just a challenge! Apparently the biotome [the little thingy that *grabs* a microscopic piece of tissue] did not sit where it was supposed to and that was causing the problem.

A nurse asked me who had done the procedure the last time and whether or not there was any problem. When I answered and indicated that there had been no trouble - no problems -- this doctor said, "He's a better doctor than me then!" . . .

Several times I noted that my pulse went from 45 to 102 to 60 to 38 to 133 and asked the Dr what that meant?

I guess he had been so intent on getting *pieces* that he hadn't even paid attention to it because he glanced up at the screen and then said something to the effect that it was probably just picking up interference!

In his poking and apparent frustration at not being successful, I had a couple of episodes where I felt very light-headed but when the nurse checked my blood pressure, it was actually much higher than my norm, rather than lower! After the 2nd episode, I was left with a throbbing headache :o(

When I realized that this doctor was having *challenges*, I earnestly prayed that the Lord Jesus would guide his hands and help me to relax and not pay any more attention to the apparent bizarre heart rates on the screen .... I didn't even realize that I had stopped praying and must have closed my eyes and relaxed because a few minutes later I heard one of the nurses clap her hands and say that he finally got a good specimen!!

The procedure was finally complete once he had gotten 3 specimens and I was wheeled out to the waiting area where I had to lay on my back for 1.5 hours and then I was off to the Clinic for my visit there.

I received a phone call not too long ago telling me the wonderful results ~ GRADE ZERO which means NO rejection at all.

I had been praying that the Lord would keep my eyes and heart turned to Him so that I was prepared for anything ... Needless to say, I was overjoyed and thankful for this wonderful result.

When I asked if I could now decrease to 5mg of prednisone, the nurse hesitated and then said she'd wait for the full report and perhaps I could decrease to that dose around Feb 2 which is 1 month before my 4th annual check-up ~ if those results were as good, I could stay with that and if those results indicated otherwise, then 7.5mg would be my new dose of prednisone.

All the medications taken post-transplant are known as IMMUNOSUPPRESSANTS -- they all suppress the immune system ... the key is to get them to suppress it just enough to prevent rejection of the new organ but not too much so that you catch every sickness going around :o)

You might think that 2.5mg isn't much of a difference, but not only can it make all the difference in the effect it has on the immune system to prevent rejection, but in the negative side effects it has on the body!

Blessings,


23 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my! What a situation to trust the Lord through.

It would be great to lower your dose of the immunosuppressant. Obviously I'm not on those particular kind of drugs, but I do find that incremental increases or decreases in drugs have a big impact on my health.

Glad everything went well in the end!

Anonymous said...

Dallas,
I am praising the Lord with you for the ZERO REJECTION!
I was praying the Lord's presence to be with you and those attending to your procedure!
May the Lord move in the heart of that particular doctor. It sounds as though he needs Him.(I mean that with all kindness)
May the Lord bless your heart,
Miriam :)
p.s.--hope you can get some rest.

Cathy said...

I am so happy for you, Dallas, and for the good report! I'm just sorry you had to go through all that. I believe I probably would have taken a valium. I just posted a link to one of your lovely posts.

susansspace said...

Oh, Dallas, That's such good news!
Sorry you had such a difficult time, but glad God gave you the patience to get through it all.
I'll still be praying that you get to cut back from 7.5 to 5.
God bless!
Susan

Mimi said...

what wonderful news...God is still in control...and He was able to calm you down even in the midst of confusion by the doctor...
He does answer prayer!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow, I'm amazed at how calm you were able to remain. That doctor could use a refresher course on his bedside manner!

Praising the Lord with you about the wonderful test results. (o:

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

Thank you for sharing!

I am so pleased for you with the results - Praise The Lord!

Abounding Treasures said...

Lizzy,

Thanks! In addition to the prednisone, most cardiac transplant patients also take 2 other immunosuppressants and like you, tiny dose changes have a huge impact on me as well.

***

Miriam,

Thanks! And yes, from some other things that this doctor talked about with the nurses regarding junior staff, I would say that he really does need HIM in his heart!

I spent today at home doing whatever little jobs came to mind and it was fun!

***

Cathy,

Thanks! In the very early days of all this, I did take a valium but it doesn't make me all that drowsy so I guess it wouldn't really make all that much difference in the end -- but I can understand why a person would go for it :o)

***

Susan,

Thanks! And so will I :o)

***

Mimi,

Yes He does ... I am so thankful for that as it makes all the difference in every experience, even when His answer isn't what we hope it will be :o)

***

Michele,

Thanks! And yes that doctor could -- often I think they are so used to patients being *out* / asleep that a few of them aren't sure what to do when the patient is awake :o)

***

Mrs Rabe,

I thought sharing a tiny glimpse would give visitors a little better idea of what happens ...

~*~

Blessings to each of this wonderful Wednesday,
Dallas

Dee said...

Dallas, What a relief to know all is well. Thank God, as a christian you know to turn to the Lord and trust him at times like this. My Frank had a scary experience with his heart biopsi. They accidentally poked a hole in his heart, and he was in intensive care for three days. The doctor told us that was the second time that had ever happened. You just never know what can happen. Thank you for sharing this recent experience and God Bless you with many healthy years. Dee

Abounding Treasures said...

Dee,

What an awful experience that must have been for Frank AND for you!! I have heard that all sorts of things *can* happen during a heart biopsy and the doctors just hope they never will.

Thanks for your kind words of encouragement and blessings to you and Frank,
Dallas

HOPE said...

Praise the LORD for this answer to prayer! What a wonderful testimony of trust and patience (play on words there! not intended..but funny!) God did indeed skill the doctor's hands to finish!

I agree..what beside manners!

Thank the LORD we have HIM to be by our side no matter where we are!

Hugs..
HOPE

Cathryn said...

Dear Friend ~ Dallas ~ God has such great things planned for you. Prayer ~ we have to keep it uppermost in our thoughts that we need to stay in that prayer mode ~ and when we do ~ bam ~ God delivers. When reading your experience I felt as if I was there and it made me feel uncomfortable. I can only imagine. I remember when I had a far far less serious problem and it took 10 doctors to find one that could diagnose me and help me. I don't think I was in prayer like I should have been at that time. Sometimes it is a challenge to find doctors that truly care and really listen to us. At least down here in Kentucky. But the Lord has led me now to some very good ones and I am thankful.

I am tremendously thankful that you came through the procedure safely and that there is no rejection. All praise to our God. Blessings - Cathryn

Jodi said...

Dallas ~ Praising God at your good news! And what a beautiful testimony. It's so peaceful to think of God just carrying you off to a near doze while you were praying. What a treasure it is to lean upon God in the hard moments!

Mrs. E said...

Oh, Mrs.D, praise the Lord!
Rejoicing with you in this answered prayer!!

In Christ,
Miss Jen

"Praise the LORD! Oh give thanks to the LORD, for He is good; For His lovingkindness is everlasting."
-Psalm 106:1

Abounding Treasures said...

Hope,

Thanks for your sweet thoughts and I love the play on words you used and how it just came out :o)

BTW - I loved the dishes and place settings on your craft blog ~ just beautiful and it's so true that we should do special things like that everyday :o)

***

Cathryn,

Amen ~ praise be to our Lord for His care! I am glad that you now have good doctors taking care of you when needed :o)

~*~

Blessings to both of you,
Dallas

Debra said...

Wow and here I am all concerned about a little ole thyroid biopsy coming up! So happy that things turned out well..hopefully you will be able to dose down on the prednisone!

Anonymous said...

Dear Dallas ~

Praise the Lord for these wonderful results and also for His care for you while the biopsy was being performed! He is so good!

Blessings to you!
Sharon

Susan B said...

Dear Dallas,
So happy to hear of the good report of your test results. So sorry that you had to go through that with the doctor! I am praying that they will still taper your prednisone dose. I am so thankful for no rejection! Praise God! God bless you.

Abounding Treasures said...

Jodi,

Thanks! And you know, for those few moments when I was praying and had my mind stayed on Him, it was very peaceful ...

***

Miss Jen,

Thanks so much!

***

Me Maw,

I wouldn't call your upcoming procedure a little old thyroid biopsy ... I pray that you have peace during the procedure :o)

***

Sharon,

If we just call out to Him, He's always right there ready and waiting for us to lean on Him!

***

Susan,

Thanks and I'm hoping that when I have my 4th annual in about 6 wks that the results are still good and I can stay on the lower 5mg dose ~ time will tell and I need to lean on the Lord so that I am prepared for anything!

~*~

Blessings to each of you,
Dallas

Paula said...

Dear Dallas,
I am praising the Lord with you! I am so very happy there is zero rejection! I was so blessed by how you prayed and put your trust in the Lord to care for you, instead of focusing on the doctor and his challenges, and your heart rate! That is such a wonderful testimony. God is so good to care for us!!! I pray your dose of medication will be able to be lowered!

Blessings,
Paula

Abounding Treasures said...

Paula,

Thanks so much for your kind words and have a blessed weekend :o)

Dallas

~~Deby said...

oh my....I have to be honest with you, I wuld have taken the Valium, probably TWO of them...as even going to the dentist I have to. Such a wimp....
I am praising the Lord for such a good report...thanking God for meds that keep us alive....
Deby

Abounding Treasures said...

Amen about the meds Deby!!

My sister is like you ~ she has to take something just to sit in the dentist's chair and getting a blood test almost makes her faint :o)

Blessings to you and take it easy getting your new house together!
Dallas