Monday, June 9, 2008

Such Joy in Simple Things

Rose Room©2008 Susan Rios

I HAVE FOUND SUCH JOY IN SIMPLE THINGS


I have found such joy in simple things;
A plain, clean room, a nut-brown loaf of bread
A cup of milk, a kettle as it sings,
The shelter of a roof above my head,
And in a leaf-laced square along the floor,
Where yellow sunlight glimmers through a door.
I have found such joy in things that fill
My quiet days: a curtain's blowing grace,
A potted plant upon my window sill,
A rose, fresh-cut and placed within a vase;
A table cleared, a lamp beside a chair,
And books I long have loved beside me there.

Oh, I have found such joys I wish I might
Tell every woman who goes seeking far
For some elusive, feverish delight,
That very close to home the great joys are:
The elemental things--old as the race,
Yet never, through the ages, commonplace.

~ Grace Noll Crowell ~

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was very beautiful. I like the picture as well :)

Abounding Treasures said...

Theresa,

I'm glad you enjoyed it and I love the art of Susan Rios too :o)
* * *
Michele,

I couldn't agree with you more :o)

Sharon said...

I loved this and it is oh so true. :)

There is a wonderful peace in being content and happy with your own home and the little joys that we find each day.

Lib said...

Amen sister! Love the poem and pic.
Have a great wk.
Blessins',Lib

Sunny said...

What a lovely BLOG...
I have been through much sickness...so @ the moment don't have computer but can come to our library...
I spent 6 mostly wonderful ytrs in the us. and have been back many times and God has given me many new friends for which I am eternaly grateful.....
I have started two new blogs one on poetry and prose.....
I cannot download pics the same @ the library but their are some earlier ones.....
Today here in the Uk is in the upper 70's and low humidity...
I am now able to spend more time out of bed...
God bless your site and day...
Hope you can view mine.....

TO BECOME said...

Such great truth expressed in such a pretty way. I wish all women knew this, how happy they would be. Thanks, connie from Texas

~~Deby said...

I love this...the sentiments are perfect..
Deby

Abounding Treasures said...

Sharon,

Welcome back to blogging! I'm happy to see you're well enough to *visit* around a bit :o)

I am still learning the truths of this delightful poem as I still from time to time, almost feel *guilty* staying home now that my children have all grown.
* * *
Lib,

Glad you enjoyed both and have a great week yourself!

Thanks for visiting my blog :o)
* * *
Sunny,

I'm so glad you feel well enough to *visit* blogs and wish you well. I look forward to visiting your blog a little later!
* * *
Connie,

I know what you mean but the teachings of society are so powerful that even other sisters in Christ have not yet realized these truths.

As I mentioned above, I still *fight* the slightly 'guilty' feeling about staying home even though my children are all grown.
* * *
Deby,

I agree ~ the sentiments are perfect!

Your new header is lovely! Did you do it all yourself?

Trust all you dear ladies have a wonderful week ahead :o)

Dallas

Michelle Baird Designs said...

Thanks for stopping by Shabby Creations. I love all your sidebar images. They are very charming. The name of the font you were asking about is called scriptina. It is one of my favorites. Have a fabulous evening.
Michelle
Shabby Creations

Abounding Treasures said...

Thanks for letting me know its name Michelle! Your designs are fabulous by the way.

Dallas

Anonymous said...

I love this poem! Thank you for sharing it ~ I had never read it before! I think with each passing day I am learning more and more to find joy and to delight myself in the simple everyday things in life!

What a blessing it is!

Have a sweet day!

Sharon

Abounding Treasures said...

Sharon,

As soon as I read this lovely poem, I knew I had to blog it.

I am learning to enjoy the simple blessings of *everyday* more and more.

Have a wonderful day!
Dallas