"At noon, Mama always stopped for lunch and naptime. No one -- on any day -- escaped the nap. Papa went quietly to his study. The house grew still. The children slept. Mama rested 30 minutes [surely she didn't sleep], then rose quietly. She brushed out her long brown hair and put on a crisp starched dress and apron.To complete her preparations for the second half of her day, she sat down and opened her Bible. After reading, she quietly slipped to her knees for her afternoon talk with God. Mama's prayer time was a sure as the sun coming up in the morning. Even the youngest child knew to be quiet until Mama finished.
The Bible closed, Mama, smelling fresh like Palmolive soap and starch, put on the coffee pot. That was the sign that made the sleepy house bound with life. Papa emerged from the study. The children, dressed in starched, afternoon clothing, came to the table for *coffee*. For the children, hot water with milk and sugar accompanied the rye bread and jam and the coveted treat -- a lump of sugar dipped in Papa's coffee..."
from FIRST WE HAVE COFFEE by Margaret Jensen
3 comments:
Oh man! I wanted to read the rest! I was so engrossed. I'm really going to have to get that book!
I have this book - it is a treasure!
Theresa,
Check your local library - they might have it handy on the shelf just waiting for you :o)
***
Mrs Rabe,
I'm so glad that I found it at our Thrift Shop and am enjoying it because now I know the author has several more titles and I've already reserved one at our library!
~*~
Blessings,
Dallas
Post a Comment