Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Copy Machines -- A Security Risk!

I just received this in an email from a friend and was I ever surprised and shocked when I watched it!!!


I'm not sure if the warnings on this video also cover home printers that can be used for copying, scanning and faxing, but I am guessing that it does!

Unfortunately, I have no control over what is copied about my family and I anywhere else but I do have the ability at home to find the hard drive on my home printer [or, I should say, "My husband does!"] and erase it BEFORE selling the old printer or tossing it out to the electronics recycling place in my town!!

Homeowner beware!

6 comments:

Lady Farmer said...

Well, now! This certainly has my curiosity up! I have dial-up and cannot watch video on my computer, but I am assuming this is about personal info being copied? I have a computer wizard for a brother-in-law so I will have to ask him about this. Who would think that the printer has memory ~ I thought it got all of its commands from the computer and not of its self!
Thanks for the tip!
Blessings!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing...so much that we have to think about and be aware of. Blessings!

Jeannette said...

Wow, thank you so much for the heads up!

Abounding Treasures said...

Lady Farmer,

Yes, they show that every copy machine has its own hard drive that is virtually never erased before being sold or discarded from police stations, insurance companies, etc. - whatever you can imagine - and ALL the thousands of pages of documents and personal info that has been gleaned from these re-sold or discarded machines!

***

Teri,

It was unbelievable what was gleaned from the hard drives of various copiers that were checked!

~*~

Blessings,
Dallas

Finding Joy said...

Thanks so much Dallas - I didn't have a clue this happens - wow, what a huge amount of information if it fell into wrong hands.

JO

Tracy said...

Wow. This was a real eye-opener, Dallas. Thanks for sharing it.