Friday, March 13, 2009

A Little Nook in the Very Heart of God

From This Day Forward by Susan Rios

God's plan for every marriage is happiness.

Marriage is meant to be a miniature of heaven
a fragment of the celestial blessedness,
let down into this world.

Marriage is meant to be a little sanctuary,
into which husband and wife may flee
from earth's storms and dangers,
where in love's shelter,
their hearts fed with affection's daily bread —
they may dwell in quiet peace.

Marriage is meant to be a shelter in which,
covered from the frosts of the world
and shielded from its cold and tempests —
two lives may grow together into richest beauty,
realizing their sweetest dreams of happiness,
blending in whatever things are true,
whatever things are pure,
and attaining the finest possibilities of godly character.

Marriage is meant to be a holy ark,
floating on the wild floods of human life —
like Noah's ark on the deluge,
bearing to heaven's gates, to the harbor of glory —
the lives which God has shut within its doors.

A godly marriage is
a little nook in the very heart of
God,
where faithful souls are held close to the Father's heart,
and carried safely, amid dangers and sorrows,
to the home above!

~ J. R. Miller, "The Marriage Altar, 1898" ~

13 comments:

Beth in NC said...

That is beautiful Dallas.

I thought that was how our marriage would be when we said "I do" ... but it didn't work out quite like that. Of course, almost 20 years later, it is starting to reflect the marriage that God intended.

Bless you for sharing this!
Beth

Mrs. Julie Fink said...

I LOVE this! Thanks for sharing it.

Anonymous said...

Dallas,
How sweet marriage can be when God brings two of His children together.
God bless you for sharing this beautiful article by J.R. Miller.
Your sister in Christ,
Bren

susansspace said...

This was such a beautiful poetic summary of a Godly marriage! Thanks for sharing.
Have a happy weekend!
Susan

Karen said...

Beautiful words. Thank you.

Abounding Treasures said...

Beth,

I understand just what you mean!

Hearts and wills yielded to the Lord are more of what's needed in every marriage :o)

***

Julie,

I loved it the first time I came across it and just had to share it!

***

Bren,

How sweet it can be not only when God brings two of His own together, but when both are yielding to Him and wanting to honour Him ...

***

Susan,

It most assuredly is a beautiful poetic summary of just how the Lord intended every marriage between two of His own to be :o)

Have a delightful weekend!

***

Karen,

They are, aren't they!! You're very welcome :o)

~*~

Blessings to each of you and your families as the weekend begins,
Dallas

Susan B said...

Dallas,
This is such a lovely description of a Godly marriage! So beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing. Have a wonderful weekend.

TO BECOME said...

That was such a wonderful piece. It is all so true. I have lived it so I know. Thank you. connie

God's Girl said...

I love the quote that a godly marriage is a little nook in the very heart of God!

My experience is much like Beth's. God is so faithful to do an amazing work in the hearts of my husband and me. I am so thankful to the Lord for changing us more and more each day.

I found you from Beth's blog.

Nice to meet you. : )

Julie

Abounding Treasures said...

Susan B,

This poetic description touched my hear too :o)

***

Connie,

It is, isn't it! Your photos of you and your husband on your wedding day are lovely and I am so thankful on your behalf that the Lord has blessed you with so many years together!

***

Julie,

Welcome to my blog :o)
I'm glad that this post touched your heart as it did mine and others!

~*~

Blessings to each of you,
Dallas

Cathryn said...

Hi Dallas, Thank you for the reply to my email. It is most appreciated. And your post - I appreciate it too - as you can surely know why. I hope you are doing okay. Love, Cathryn

Mrs. E said...

Mrs.D,
This was beautiful!
I can not wait to share it with my dear mother!! Though I am an un-married maiden I still have hope and think that marriage can be a humble, beautifully and most blissful union... contrary to what the world thinks sadly! With Christ we have much joy in any relationship, although we are still sinners and struggle everyday with our flesh, we have victory in Christ..... that is why I am praying, Lord willing, for a godly man, of integrity, humility and strength who is willing to forsake everything for Christ's Kingdom!!! Thank you for a beautifully encouraging post!

With Much Love in Jesus,
Miss Jen

"A woman's heart should be so hidden in Christ that a man must seek Him first to find her."
-Anonymous

Abounding Treasures said...

Dear Cathryn,

Good to hear from you! Although my marriage is definitely not perfect, I found this quote so wonderful that I had to share it as a way of encouraging myself and others :o)

As the Lord leads, I pray ...

***

Dear Miss Jen,

I am so glad that you found this quote inspiring and wonderful ~ so did I :o)

I remember when I was a young, unmarried maiden - I heard a preacher say that if the Lord intends marriage for us, then the young man is already alive somewhere in the world and that we should be praying for his spiritual growth in the Lord ~ that was such a beautiful thought that I did that, although marriage was the furthest thing on my mind when He brought my husband across my path :o)

You are such an encouragement to the hearts of all mothers as any of us would be delighted to have daughters like you marry our sons!

~*~

Blessings to both of you at different stages in your lives,
Dallas