"Why are we experiencing such an epidemic of *open* - and *not-so-open* - sin, in the church today?. . . (Because) we have promoted a “gospel” that says it is possible to be a Christian while stubbornly refusing to address practices or behaviors we know are sinful.
We have accepted the philosophy that it’s OK for Christians to look, think, act, and talk like the world.
We have made it an offense to admonish people about their sin, either privately or, when necessary, publicly.
If only we were as loath to commit sin as we are to confront it!"
Nancy Leigh DeMoss
"HOLINESS, The HEART of GOD PURIFIES", Moody Publishers, p. 175-176.
UPDATE: One of the many comments I received on this post, was quite an *eye opener* and it seems to be the case among so many of the Lord's own. Because the practice is so UNSCRIPTURAL, I thought I'd share it here!
"I heard a theory about 'sin' a long time ago.
If you shut your eyes, I'll shut mine. We are willing to overlook things in others because of what WE ourselves are guilty of.
Leave me alone and I'll leave you alone. It's an unspoken agreement."
16 comments:
So true!!
I thank God every day that He led us to a church of Biblical integrity. So many people (yes, even Christians) are unaware because they are not in the Word, & therefore have no compass or discernment.
That hits the nail right on the head! Excellent truths! Thank you for posting this. :)
Thank you so much for posting this truth. Oh that we could say this to anyone, especially our christian brothers and sisters, and it be recieved as wonderful truth. I cant help but feel like I should be living this much more openly and my prayer today is that I do. It won't be easy but that isn't the point. I plan to read your post at church tomorrow, I know it will be recieved well. Thanks again for speaking truth.
Dear Dallas, What a wonderful, relevant and appropriate post. Thank you-may the hearts of the redeemed repent and change their ways thus glorifying God.
Hugs and blessings.
Noreen
What a powerful quote!!!
So true... this is brilliantly
put. Thank you for sharing this, Mrs.D!! Hope you have a blessed Saturday!
Love in Christ,
Miss Jen
Wow....what a great quote! This to me hits right to the heart of the problem in our churches, and even within our own lives personally.... we so often do not take sin seriously.... the way our Lord does! Our Savior took on the full wrath of God for our sin.... in order that we would be "transformed into the likeness of His Son." (Romans 8:28-30) This is truly "Good News" that should make us flee to the cross for help in being "mindful" to put our remaining sin to death.... by the power of His Spirit! Thank you so much for this post!
Blessings to you!
I so agree with this quote!
What did Jesus say about someone who was luke warm? Yikes.
The evil is definitely showing in our world. I pray the real Church will stand up and be heard.
My daughter and I were just talking about this Wed. Churches are so dead now a days. Everyone goes there with a care free attitude and don't want instruction in righteousness. They call themselves Christians, but if they didn't tell you, you wouldn't know it. And you are right, they take offense to any clear bible teaching. I told one of my daughters today, that even if the whole world turns their back on God, we don't have to. Good post.
I heard a theory about 'sin' a long time ago. If you shut your eyes, I'll shut mine. We are willing to overlook things in others because of what WE ourselves are guilty of. Leave me alone and I'll leave you alone. It's an unspoken agreement.
These are wise words...
this is so true. Todays church or gathering as I call it, its not really a church,has no absolutes. Everything has a grey hue to it and if it feels good they do it...
My bible tells me we are not to be like the world, and if the world calls me weird, well hey, thats a compliment. Its refreshing to see someone like-minded!
God bless you!
Glenda
Dear 'Abounding Treasures',
thank You for this lovely and strengthening blog!
I read this text of yours a few days ago and my mind went back to the idea and I was left wondering where did I read about this theme.
Now I came to look at your blog again, and here it is!
This matter is of utmost importance. We are compelled to keep the truth alive and heard and yielded to, since the consequences of not doing so are devastating to ourselves and those around us. Our disobedience is multiplied in other people as we deprive them of the example we are supposed to carry of the gospel.
I am bold to write this now, because I have only learned the significance of agreeing with God (which is agreeing with His written Word)through my of negligance. I wandered away and saw my life become weighed down by such a burden of unconfessed sin that in my confusion I for years didn't know where to start on my way back to any peace or clarity of mind. I have become mentally ill, as my burn-out and depression prolonged and I was eventually diagnosed bi-polar. I believe I would have been able to avoid this had I heeded to the truth in time. In my case things gradually became worse and worse. This does not mean that in any other case this sickness might have been avoidable, but in my case I believe this was so.
My sickness makes me unfit to become a mother ( in my own eyes, I know I would not be able to handle the responsibilty). My ability to handle stress is considerably compromised. This is just one of the consequences I have heaped up on myself.
If some might say I am unbelieving in God's grace, let me assure I am not denying it. I am blessed in His grace with the life I now have. Just as David sought forgiveness for His sin yet had to bear the consequences, so do we reap what we have sown. This is terrible, and our hope is in relying only on Him with whatever we have to endure. He is not changed if I suffer the consequences of my actions. This is how serious this matter is.
I was deeply offended years ago, when I was confronted with my way of life by an American baptist pastor couple here in Finland. I was appalleed and furious and found their words abominable and violent. Yet I now see that it was the truth, I was so confused with my fear that I saw enemies where my only hope was.
There might be others out there struggling with loyalty to the wrong individuals. We may have bent the truth in such a way that we may have become significant to people we have no business having loyalties with. We need to bring ourselves down from the throne! It is not by keeping contact with me whose mouth speaks of the gospel, but whose feet run quickly into unfaithfullness to the very same Lord I confess I belong that people will come to the Lord through. This can not be so! Your heart will be in pain with your double standards. when you try to please people and God at the same time. No matter if this person seems the prince charming you've waited for all your life. What's wrong in the beginning will be so until the end. Consider your ways! You know the right way right from the start.
The way back begins in agreeing with Him. In everything. The sins that I had harboured in my soul, ones that were behind in life but of which I still wanted to think preferably, had to be brought in agreement with God. There's no way a sinful relationship might have been a blessing in secret. It was sin and that's the end of the conversation. Even for me, finally, now it is.
It is God's truly amazing grace that He has not left me in my darkness, but has pulled me back close to Him. I want to follow Him and not waste my life thus stealing from the Lord. My life belongs to Him. I pray that I may be able to heed His Word as it comes to me and confront sin in my life and have the boldness to step aside when brought before a situation I should not enter in.
Thank you for bringing this topic up. We must see sin for what it is, it is rebellion against God and rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft and stubbornness is as the sin of idolatry. (1 Samuel 15:23 NKJV)
The Lord help us put on Him every day and walk in freedom of bondage.
In Him,
Helena
Susan,
Amen! I feel the very same way!
***
Lori,
It certainly does, doesn't it! From the time I first read it, the Lord kept encouraging me to share it!
***
Deb,
How was this post received on Lord's Day when you read it?
Thanks for the encouragement about speaking the truth!
***
Noreen,
Thanks for your words of encouragement! These words are very necessary today when many of the Lord's own, are doing *that which is right in their own eyes*!
***
Miss Jen,
You're right ~ it IS a very powerful quote and so necessary in these days!
I had a wonderful Saturday by the way :o)
***
Welcome Mrs L :o)
The verses you refer to are some of the very ones on my mind while I prayed about this post, long before I actually made it!
***
Mrs Rabe,
AMEN! So do I :o)
***
Beth,
I often think of the Lord's words about being *lukewarm* ... I think being in that frame makes it even harder for me to be reached than if I were hot or cold in heart ~ don't you!?
Being *lukewarm* seems to imply a *come what may* sort of blase attitude about everything of importance, even sin :o(
***
Welcome Sandra!
How wonderful that you and your daughter are able to talk these things over :o)
Unfortunately, a *profession* of salvation does not mean a person has *possession* ... I heard that many times years ago and it stuck with me!
***
Mobunny,
I think your very simple but powerfully profound quote hits home with many hearts and I pray that I would be constantly open to the Lord's dealings so that I never subscribe to such an anti-Christlike belief and attitude!
***
Welcome Bill and thank you for your words of encouragement!!
***
Glenda,
I agree with everything you have said!
Besides, the Church is His body and is made up of saved ones from all over the world now and already in Glory.
Local gatherings of believers meet in various areas of towns and cities all over the world and are His testimony today in this world.
May He help each of us to be a bright and shining light that reflects Him to those who have no hope!
***
Helena,
Thank YOU for sharing your heart in your comments ... all the while praying that your experience might help a fellow believer that they might not experience the pain and suffering your steps have caused you ...
Praise the Lord that He has drawn you close to Himself again and is keeping you there and my heart goes out to you in what you suffer as a result of what you have sown and I do understand the problems associated with mental illness and limitations because of a similar diagnosis in a family member back a couple of years.
May the Lord continue to strengthen and encourage your heart in loving and obeying Him and growing in His grace ~ may His everlasting arms continue to carry you through this scene on your way home to Heaven where there will be no more tears or suffering!
~*~
Blessings and appreciation to each and every one of you who were as affected by this quote as I was and who took the time to leave such encouraging comments!
~ Dallas
More preachers need to get hold of this. I am in total agreement.
Sharon,
All I can say is AMEN!!!!
Post a Comment