Wednesday, February 4, 2009

A Woman's Best Ornament

My Sweet Rose by John William Waterhouse

"Don't be concerned about the outward beauty that depends on fancy hairstyles, expensive jewelry, or beautiful clothes.

You should be known for the beauty that comes from within, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is so precious to God." [1 Peter 3:3-4]

This "beauty that comes from within" is that . . .
  • meekness,
  • quietness,
  • gentleness,
  • brokenness of heart,
  • contrition of spirit,
  • humility of mind,
  • tenderness of conscience,
which are fitting to the children of God.

A gentle and quiet spirit is a woman's best ornament.

As to other gay and unbecoming ornaments, let those wear them, who wish to serve and to enjoy . . .
  • the lust of the flesh,
  • the lust of the eyes,
  • and the pride of life.
Let the "daughters of Zion" manifest they have other ornaments than what the world admires and approves.

Let them covet . . .
  • the teachings of God,
  • the smiles of His love,
  • the whispers of His favor.
The more they have of these, the less will they care for the adornments which the "daughters of Canaan" run so madly after..."

~ J. C. Philpot, "Every Man's Work to be Tried with Fire" ~

14 comments:

Tracy said...

Beautiful, Dallas. How I long to be a woman after God's heart!

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

Beautiful picture and thoughts!

Cathy said...

A lovely post, thanks ~

Kathy Butryn said...

My, these are words that we need to be reminded of more often. Thank you for sharing...I breathed a prayer for a gentle and quiet spirit as I begin today.

God bless you!

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

This is so good and such an encouragement! I am going to have my daughters read this - they are "daughters of zion" and I think this will encourage them too!

NanaNor's said...

Love your post today. We older women need to teach,by example, the younger ones these qualities.
I love seeing your picture-it makes me feel like we are old friends...not old in our age, but close in spirit.
Blessings to you this day.

Mrs. E said...

Mrs.D,
What beautifully wise words!!
My favorite part was...

"Let them covet . . .
the teachings of God,
the smiles of His love,
the whispers of His favor."

That was truly wonderful....thanks so much for sharing it. ;) Hope you are having a blessed day!

Love & Blessings,
Miss Jen

"This is the day the LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it." -Psalm 118:24

Sharon said...

A very good post.

~~Deby said...

This is so good Dallas...I don't know what else I can say--womanhood has sure missed the mark--may be take the charge to be different--to be so close to our Saviour they see Jesus in us...great post...
Deby
BTW--I LOVE your profile picture...my kind of lady

Abounding Treasures said...

Tracy,

It's the desire of my heart too!

***

LDH,

Thanks for the comment on the picture and I so enjoyed the quote too!

***

Cathy,

You're welcome!

***

Kathy,

They are most definitely words that we need to hear in these last days!

***

Mrs Rabe,

How wonderful that your dear ones are *daugthers of Zion* too and I do hope they find these thoughts encouraging ... especially during these times!

***

Noreen,

You're so right! We older ones ought to teach first and foremost by example!

Thanks for the sweet thoughts regarding seeing my picture ~ I feel the same way when I see someone else's, so know just what you mean :o)

***

Miss Jen,

The part that you quoted really touched my heart when I read it!

What more could I ever want but His teachings, the smiles of His love and the whispers of His favour ~ as Tracy at the top said, "How I long to be a woman after God's heart" and I'm so thankful that it's the Lord's work in my heart and not something I can do on my own ... or I would fail miserably!

***

Sharon,

Thanks! Trust you've been enjoying your *break* from blogging :o)

~*~

Blessings to each of you,
Dallas

Anonymous said...

I love the whispers of His favor! A wonderful post! God bless you.
Bren

Abounding Treasures said...

Deby,

Thanks :o)

I agree that is *key* to our witness in the world ~ to be so close to our Saviour that they see Him in us and are drawn to Him ...

***

Bren,

Thanks :o)

This quote really touched my heart when I first read it ...

~*~

Blessings to both of you,
Dallas

Susan B said...

What a wonderful post (and picture)! This is so beautifully written. Thank you for sharing it.

Abounding Treasures said...

Susan,

You're welcome :o)

It sure touched my heart when I read it and I knew that others would be blessed by it as well ...

Dallas