Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Heart Month

I'm not sure about other countries, but in Canada, February is HEART MONTH.

It's for that reason and *not* Valentine's Day that I used HEART shapes in my new header :o)

Over the next month I am going to share a few important items about heart attack, stroke and cardiac arrest warning signs and symptoms.

I am starting today with the SIGNS of a STROKE because of something that happened to me personally a couple of years ago during my 1st annual heart biopsy and dye test following my heart transplant in March 2005.

During the dye test and before the actual biopsy, a tiny clot formed in the catheter that was used for the dye test [aka an *angiogram*], and I began to experience some of the symptoms described in this email.

I started to feel numbness in my left cheek. At first I did NOT realize what was happening and because I figured it *might* be normal during that procedure and would go away, I said nothing at this 1st sign :o(

Then the numbish feeling spread to my neck area and around my ears on the left side of my body. It travelled down my arm too!

At this point I was scared and called out to the nurse who was nearby as the cardiologist was doing the dye test and the biopsy ... I tried to say "Something's wrong!" but it just didn't come easily like it should have!

They told me later that my words were a little slurred.

The doctor called out to the nurse to give me oxygen immediately and to monitor me closely & visually. The doctor immediately withdrew the catheter that was in my groin artery and told all of us that a tiny clot could be seen within the catheter -- that it was very fortunate that I told them SO QUICKLY, that I had been asked to take 81mg of coated aspirin daily and that I was IN HOSPITAL already, otherwise the outcome could have been very different.

I realize that mine was brought on by the procedure, but it still goes to show how IMPORTANT it was that I told them as soon as possible!

INFORMATION EVERYONE SHOULD KNOW

The symptoms of a stroke depend on what part of the brain and how much of the brain tissue is affected.

  • Stroke symptoms usually come on suddenly - in minutes to an hour.

  • There is usually no pain associated with the symptoms.

  • The symptoms may come and go, go away totally, or get worse over the course of several hours.

  • If the symptoms go away completely in a short time (fewer than 24 hours), the episode is called a transient ischemic attack (TIA) --- THIS IS WHAT I HAD.

  • One third of all strokes occur during sleep, so people first notice the symptoms when they wake up.

  • These are the common symptoms of stroke:

    • Weakness in the arm or leg OR both on the same side: This can range from total paralysis to a very mild weakness. Complete numbness or a pins-and-needles feeling may be present on 1 side of your body or part of 1 side of your body.

    • Weakness in the muscles of the face: Your face may droop or look lopsided. Speech may be slurred because you can't control the movement of your lips or tongue.

    • Difficulty speaking: You can't speak, speech may be very slurred, or when you speak, the words sound fine but do not make sense.

    • Coordination problems: You may seem uncoordinated and stumble or have difficulty walking or difficulty picking up objects.

    • Dizziness: You may feel drunk or dizzy or have difficulty swallowing.

    • Vision problems: You may develop difficulty with vision, such as double vision, loss of peripheral [side] vision, or blindness. [Blurred vision by itself is not usually a symptom of a stroke.]

    • Sudden headache: A sudden, severe headache may strike like "a bolt out of the blue." Some people have called this the worst headache of their lives.

    • Loss of consciousness: You may become unconscious, stuporous, or hard to arouse and could die.
Face Arm Speech Test - is used by paramedics to diagnose stroke prior to a person being admitted to hospital. By diagnosing the possibility of stroke before reaching hospital, it is possible for appropriate referral to a stroke unit to be made as quickly as possible.

Anyone can do this FACE, ARM, SPEECH Test as soon as someone has suspected problems!

Facial weakness - can the person smile? Has their mouth or eye drooped?
Arm weakness - can the person raise both arms?
Speech problems - can the person speak clearly and understand what you say?
Time to call 9-1-1 *IMMEDIATELY* ~ this is of UTMOST IMPORTANCE!

If the person has failed any one of these tests, you must call 911. Stroke is a medical emergency and by calling 911 you can help someone reach the hospital quickly and receive the early treatment they need.

Prompt action can prevent further damage to the brain and help someone make a full recovery. Delay can result in death or major long-term disabilities, such as paralysis, severe memory loss and communication problems.

What if the symptoms go away?
A Transient Ischemic Attack [TIA] which is sometimes called a mini stroke, is similar to a full stroke, but the symptoms may only last a few minutes and will have completely gone within 24 hours.

DO NOT ignore it. It could lead to a major stroke. See your family doctor or clinic as soon as possible and ask to be referred to a cardiologist. This should happen within 7 days.

NEW Sign of a STROKE

Ask the person to STICK OUT THEIR TONGUE -- If their tongue is crooked or leans to the left or right, this is another sign.


GET HELP IMMEDIATELY -- DON'T WAIT and WONDER.

Believe me, from all the times I've been in cardiac wards and emergency departments listening to medical staff talk to other patients, the doctors ALWAYS prefer that you err on the side of caution and NOT TAKE CHANCES!

Better to be told that it was NOT a stroke or a heart attack or ??, than to NOT EVEN GET IT CHECKED OUT . . .

Blessings,

11 comments:

Dee said...

Thank you ~Thank you~ Thank You~ For this information. I am going to copy it and keep it in a visual space. I worry about my husband getting a stroke with all the problems he has with his heart. Dee

Abounding Treasures said...

Dee,

I am so glad that you found it helpful :o)

Blessings to you and your husband!

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

I am going to print this out too. Something to read and know before something happens. Thank you!

~~Deby said...

I need this information---and need to be told to call 911 right away...so often---I just ignore things..way to often.
Deby

Abounding Treasures said...

LDH,

Yes, do print it out and I hope no one in your family ever needs it!

***

Deby,

Yes, call 911 - don't wait, even if you feel silly because you're not sure!

Like the old worldly saying, "It's better to be safe rather than sorry!"

~*~

Blessings to each of you,
Dallas

NanaNor's said...

Dallas thank you for posting this-it is so important for people to know this info. My mom had a massive stroke when I was 21 yrs old and I didn't realize it. By the time I did call the doctor it was too late to treat and she died that night; I have often wondered if I would have gotten help sooner if she would have lived. The good news is she is with Jesus.
Blessings on your day. Noreen

Cathy said...

Thanks for that helpful information, Dallas. That is terrible you what happened to you during the test! The info about the mini stroke kind of scares me, because my arms have gotten numb before. Seems like I mentioned it to the doctor.

Abounding Treasures said...

Noreen,

How traumatic that must have been for you when you were so young :o(

Praise the Lord that she had already been washed in the blood of the Lamb!

***

Cathy,

If you told your doctor about the numbness in your arm, he would have asked you what other symptoms you were having and probably deduced that it was nothing serious.

~*~

My prayer is that telling about these warning signs might help someone or their loved one.

Blessings to each of you,
Dallas

Unknown said...

We have Heart Month here in the States also, in fact tomorrow is WEAR RED DAY, in honor of Heart Health month.

Anonymous said...

Dallas,
Thank you for posting this information.
That must have been very scarey for you.
You are a living testament of God's goodness and mercy! I am grateful to the Lord for restoring your health, because I was now able to meet you.
Miriam :)

Abounding Treasures said...

Rose,

Thanks for letting me know :o) Sounds like a great way of promoting awareness!

***

Miriam,

They are warnings that are easy to check for ~ especially the ones in the F.A.S.T. and sticking out the tongue.

It was a scary experience and needless to say, it made me more nervous than usual last year when I had that same test :o)

I am thankful to the Lord for restoring my health for a multitude of reasons and one of them turned out to be for the joy of blogging and meeting such wonderful, kindred spirits :o)

~*~

Blessings to both of you,
Dallas