Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Memories of My Grandma

When I think of my maternal grandma, I always think of shelling peas while sitting in her backyard on a comfy lawn chair, picking rhubarb right out of her little side garden and dipping it in sugar to eat on the spot and baking shortbread cookies.

My grandparents' last little home had a front porch just large enough to hold a double bed and a walkspace between it and the wall. I always enjoyed the privilege of sleeping in it because it made me feel special.

One of my most vivid memories of that porch was laying in the big bed watching a lightning storm outside and seeing the sky light up every so often ... I can still see it in my mind's eye!

Across from the bed against the other wall, stood a beautiful cedar lined hope chest that I dearly loved and which my grandma had promised I would receive one day.

She came to live with us after my grandfather died and brought her hope chest with her. She was only with us a couple of years and true to her word, she left me that cedar chest which brought back so many wonderful memories for me of times spent in their little home.

Because of some unfortunate circumstances a couple of years after we were married, I lost that precious heirloom when it was badly damaged during shipping via Air Cargo, a method I had used in ignorance and would NEVER use again :o(

I was sad for awhile, then reminded myself that my memories were locked away in my heart and whether or not I had something tangible to remind me of my grandmother, I would never forget her!

Blessings,





The hope chest pictured above is from GOOGLE Images.

21 comments:

Lady Laura said...

Loving tribute to your GrandMother. Whenever my grandson and I spend time together I always wonder what will his memories be of me when I'm gone? That thought often helps me to control my tongue and to smile at him and to tell him "I love you" every chance I get.

We grandparents have an awesome opportunity to let our grandchildren know how special they are.

Lady Farmer said...

Grandma's are so wonderful! I was raised by my Grandparents and I feel so blessed because of it! What unconditional love! My Grandma was my *Mom*. I loved her dearly. I only hope to be the kind of Grandma to my little treasures as my Grandma was to me.
Thanks for sharing your memories of your sweet Grandma!

~~Deby said...

oh those are sweet memories, Dallas--and you are right, you have your memories although it is sad that you don't have your chest.
Your attitude is good and that is what count--and let's face it--we can't take our possessions with us and I hope you will see your sweet grandmother again.
Deby

lizzykristine said...

Oh, that's too bad! I'm sorry you lost the chest.

Beth in NC said...

What beautiful memories Dallas! So sweet!

Anonymous said...

I have *lovely* memories of my grandmother too.

Thank you for sharing your memories with us. (o:

Mrs. Julie Fink said...

What beautiful memories, thanks for sharing.

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

ah, Dallas. you tell the sweetest stories and have a great way of putting things into perspective!

Kathy Butryn said...

What a precious story. The picture of the hope chest is beautiful.
So glad you have these sweet memories tucked away in your heart!

Abounding Treasures said...

Lady Laura,

I agree that we grandparents have an awesome responsibility to let our grandchildren know how special they are!

Your grandson is very fortunate to be able to spend time with you :o)

***

Lady Farmer,

Your Grandmother sounds like a very special woman ~ your memories are so vivid :o)

***

Deby,

I was devastated at first when the hope chest was so damaged that it wasn't worth shipping across the country again and had to tell myself that *things* have no lasting importance :o)

I would love to see my sweet grandmother again but sadly, she left no hope at all of being saved. So far, I am the only believer in my entire family so there are many to pray for!

***

Lizzykristine,

So was I :o(

But, I reminded myself that *things* can't be taken with me and I still have the wonderful memories :o)

***

Beth,

Thanks :o)

***

Michele,

Yes, I remember a couple of your posts about your grandmother!

Good memories are a wonderful blessings :o)

***

Julie,

I'm glad you enjoyed them :o)

***

LDH,

Thanks! This was a surprise to me but I guess others sometimes see things that we don't realize ourselves :o)

***

Kathy,

I am too! By the way, I'm going to *label* the photo because it's actually a Google image ... my hope chest's picture is only in my heart and my memory :o)

~*~

Blessings to each of you,
Dallas

Anonymous said...

Your beautiful post brought back many pleasant memories of my grandmothers this morning. I have been looking for a candy dish like the one Grandma had.
I am so glad I found your blog.
Karen

susansspace said...

Dallas,
Thank you for sharing these beautiful memories of your Grandmother!

Abounding Treasures said...

Karen,

I'm so glad that you enjoyed those wonderful memories this morning and I hope you're able to find a candy dish like Grandma had :o)

***

Susan,

Glad you enjoyed them ... I loved reminiscing :o)

~*~

Blessings to both of you,
Dallas

Susan B said...

Dear Dallas,
What beautiful memories of your Grandmother, thank you for sharing them.

HOPE said...

Such a precious post Dallas!

This really touched my heart and reminded me of my grandmother. I just told my g'kids the other day about some things that bring her back...like a simple cup of hot jello in a cup. The smell to this day, puts me back in her kitchen.

Abounding Treasures said...

Susan B,

You're very welcome :o)

***

Hope,

*Hot jello in a cup* ~ what a neat remembrance of your grandmother!

Blessings to you both!
Dallas

Jack's Mommy said...

"I was sad for awhile, then reminded myself that my memories were locked away in my heart and whether or not I had something tangible to remind me of my grandmother, I would never forget her!"

I am 26 now, and my Granny died when I was 17. I loved her dearly!! When she died, I didn't really get anything, but managed to sneak out a few treasures from her home before her 5 kids...my aunts & uncles..cleaned the place out. Among my few treasures were a used bar of soap from her sink (which I still have stashed away) and a very old holographic framed photo of Jesus knocking at the door that lit up when plugged in. It had always hung in Granny's living room as far back as my memory could take me, and must have dated further back into the 1960s. That framed photo was damaged by water in storage at my parents house (where I still lived at the time) a few years later and I was heartbroken. I had planned on saving it and putting it in my own living room someday.

It was a long time before I came to the same conclusion you did - my Granny is in my heart and my memories of her will always be there. It was extremely refreshing when that "light bulb" clicked on. :) Treasures are nice, but memories are far more precious.

~Lisa

(p.s. i've been reading your blog for a year but don't think i've ever commented. i feel like i'm "mothered" everytime I read your posts..in a good way :)..they're always so comforting and they help me in my own walk in life! it's nice to put a face to you too with your new photo on the side!)

Abounding Treasures said...

Oh Lisa,

What wonderful memories you've shared of your dear Granny and how I was touched to reach your comment about my blog being a blessing to you!

I understood just how you felt when you were thrilled to have a bar of used soap to remember her by along with the frame and smiled at the memories of just how that felt/feels :o)

I am so glad that you left me a comment after a year of *browsing* as you have encouraged me so much.

In blogging, you never knows who is reading and what impact your blog may or may not have ~ thank you so very much for letting me know :o)

Blessings!
Dallas

Abounding Treasures said...

Lisa,

I went looking for your blog so I could leave a comment but couldn't seem to find any posts on which to comment :o(

Dallas

Jack's Mommy said...

Hey Dallas! :) Thank you for responding! I just made my way back to this post to see if you had, because I notice you always seem to have a kind word for your commenters.

My blog is at
http://littlejackscorner.mrscoles.com

I don't use a blogger blog - I have my own wordpress one and use it to post pictures of my 9 mo old son for family and stuff. My new posts can be found in the middle, and if you click on the title of a post and scroll to the bottom of the post page it has the comment section. :) My most recent post is named "Hey Mama" and here is the link for that one: http://littlejackscorner.mrscoles.com/hey-mama/

Abounding Treasures said...

Lisa,

I'm so glad that you came back to read my comment because I had no other idea of how to thank you :o)

Blessings,
Dallas