They may be a little dusty because the dough was a bit softer than I expected, but otherwise, I am pleased with how they turned out :o)I got late my mother-in-law's recipe from one of her daughters and I cut it in half *just in case* it wasn't what I wanted.
I made it up in the evening and let it sit in the fridge overnight and by the next afternoon, it was the easiest dough to work with, once I kneaded in more flour, that is :o)
GINGERBREAD MEN
- 1 c. margarine [softened 1st]
- 1 c. brown sugar
- 1 c. molasses
- 4 c. flour
- 3 tsp. ginger
- 1 egg
- 1/2 c. milk WITH 2 tsp. baking soda;1 tsp. salt;1 tsp. cinnamon
2. Blend together the flour and ginger.
3. Mix the baking soda, salt and cinnamon into the milk.
4. Beat the egg with a fork and mix into the milk mixture.
5. Add the milk mixture into the sugar/margarine mixture and blend.
6. Add the flour into the bowl and mix well.
Chill overnight. Roll out and cut in desired shapes.
Bake at 350 deg. for about 10 minutes, depending on your oven :o)
[Check them to be sure because mine tend to be browner on the bottom than I'd like because of my oven ... I should really use an oven thermometer!]
As I mentioned above, I divided this in half and it still made about 16-18 medium gingerbread men which is enough for our family. They can be decorated however you like once they are cooled.
I decided to ice these sparingly and I've frozen the rest so my daughter and I can decorate them once she's here :o)

The same day I made these, I made another batch of microwave chocolate fudge and this time I added about 1/2 cup of pecan pieces when I added the vanilla extract ~ it is delcious :o)
I tried a different shortbread recipe as well and am very glad that I made only half the recipe because they are definitely NOT a favourite! I'm going to stick to my own grandmother's tried and true shortbread recipe and make a batch next week.
Between Friday night and Saturday morning we received about 14 inches of snow and I will breathe a sigh of relief when I get our new snow tires put on this Tuesday because they make a huge difference on these snowy and sometimes, very icy, roads :o)Blessings,
11 comments:
I like your little guys.....I mean men.......be careful in the snow!
I adore gingerbread men. When I had my third baby, on December 7, 1004, my mom had my two other children at her home. They made gingerbread men and decorated them with raisins, and then brought them to the hospital for me. Boy did they hit the spot! And the molasses was good for my low iron, too!
oh those are cute little guys....and dipped in milk or coffee or tea...yummmm...love that flavor.
Deby
Thank you for sharing your goodies. I need to get started baking & cooking. But, I am trying to loose weight & if I fix it I eat it!!!! I noticed you like Susan Wheelers art. I have a lot of it. When I owned my gift shop I carried all of her cards & gift line. I have framed many of them.
Mobunny,
Thanks and I will :o)
***
Tracy,
What a special activity for your children with their grandma and what a treat for you at the hospital :o)
It's amazing how foods sometimes bring back special memories for us!
***
Deby,
They are tasty and remind me of my mother-in-law now that they are made ... it was one of her special recipes every Christmas!
~*~*~
Blessings to each of you,
Dallas
Charlene,
Welcome to my blog and thanks for taking the time to comment :o)
I nibble too, that's why I either give some away as gifts or freeze them!
I love Susan Wheeler's art and know that framing any you had would be a lovely idea :o)
Blessings to you,
Dallas
Dear Dallas ~
Those gingerbread men are so cute! I'm sure they are very tasty too! How fun to put some dough aside for you and your daughter to do later!
That is alot of snow you received! I hope you are keeping warm and cozy!
Blessings on your week,
Sharon
We used to make them and then thread a ribbon through a hole in the top, to hang on the Christmas tree!
Sharon,
My son said they were delicious so that's a relief :o)
I've baked them all but put the rest aside so we could decorate them together.
Because it's so cold, the snow that was cleared from the roads has hardened at the sides of the streets and the yards and hills are perfect for sledding :o)
***
Elizabeth,
What a great idea! I'd heard about it before but had never seen it done ...
~*~*~
Blessings to each of you,
Dallas
Can you post your MICROWAVE fudge! I'd love a quick recipe.
I made gingerbread boys/girls every year when my children were home...also a gingerbread house.
Today..I am working on the house.
Aren't they fun...and I love the taste!
Congrats on your success!
HOPE
Hope,
You should have seen my *odd* looking fat & sticky gingerbread men from the 1st recipe that I tried!
They were sad looking things :o)
I'd love to see a photo of the house once you're done ~ are you planning on posting it on your blog?
Blessings,
Dallas
Post a Comment