Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Baking and Baking Mishaps

I've been trying to bake different kinds of cookies to get a head start for my family and for gifts.

I made shortbread cookies on Monday and as per a suggestion I read, I divided the dough into 4 and into 3 of them added: milk chocolate chips, white chocolate chips and butterscotch chips, leaving the last one plain.

Tuesday I went to a friend's home for lunch and we had a wonderful afternoon. An older woman who has grandchildren in their late teens and early 20s, she is very much an inspiration for me.

We both hold dear to our hearts the Scriptural view on mothers and wives working outside the home and being UNavailable for their own families or for the downtrodden, elderly or ill in the greater Church family and not even for the unsaved who we can all be a testimony before.

I came across a new recipe for gingerbread men the other day and this afternoon decided to give it a try.

The mishaps began when I relied on my unaided vision reading the recipe card I'd written and when the dough was ready to roll out, I discovered I had left out the 1/2 tsp. of salt that was required :o(

Knowing that the bulk of these might be used for gift bags, I tried to *rescue* the dough by sprinkling salt lightly over the dough and working it in with my hands.

We won't know until after supper whether or not that was successful as far as taste goes but these gingerbread men certainly grew much thicker than I ever expected!

I thought I had rolled them out fairly thinly but no so thin that they would either brown too soon or be super hard . . . well, they were neither!

Then the recipe called for warm corn syrup to be brushed over them and because that would stay sticky for 30 minutes, it would be easy to put decorations on them.

This proved to be true except that the sides of the tops where the corn syrup ends, ARE sticky! So, now I have fat, sticky gingerbread men ~ not what I wanted or expected :o(

IF anyone has a favourite gingerbread men recipe that is fool-proof [for the likes of me!] OR any other favourite cookie recipe that would pack well in a parcel, please feel free to share it via an EMAIL to me and I would be most grateful :o)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those shortbread cookies look delish! And I think the fat Gingermans are way too cute! The sticky part wouldn't be good for gift bags though, unless your recipients enjoy eating cellophane ;).

Sorry I can't help you with a fail proof recipe, I've never made a real gingerman :)

Abounding Treasures said...

Tara,

Thanks anyways! Those fat gingerbread men are tasty enough but more like gingerBREAD ... very moist and chewy and would be yummy warmed up with a big dollop of whipped cream on top :o)

Blessings,
Dallas

Susan B said...

The shortbread cookies look very yummy! Sorry to hear about the mishap with the gingerbread men. They are cute!! Glad to hear that they taste good. I don't have a recipe either...my family doesn't like gingerbread at all. I love it!! (You can ship some of those my way!) (o:

Anonymous said...

Dallas, I have done things like that before. I don't know if I have a gingerbread man recipe, but I'll look.
Terri @ On Hearts in Service blog, she said she had a gingerbread man recipe she is going to share.
You both inspire me to get out my cookie recipes and heat the oven.
Miriam :)

Abounding Treasures said...

Susan,

I am baking all sorts of goodies since I'm planning to courier some to my son+wife and little ones as well as to my daughter ~ all the other side of the country!

These gingerbread men - sticky and fat - just won't travel well so that's why I'm hoping to find a fool proof recipe :o)

***

Miriam,

Thanks! I'll check out Terri's site and see what it sounds like.

You can tell from what I told Susan that I need one that will hold up well to travelling :o)

~*~*~

Blessings to each of you,
Dallas

sherry said...

How refreshing to learn that other ladies experience mishaps, just like me!

:o)

Abounding Treasures said...

Jane,

I surely do!

I had hoped this recipe was going to produce much thinner, firmer gingerbread men rather than puffy, cake-like men because I want to ship them quite a distance by courier and they need to stand up to that!

The search is still on for such a recipe ...

Blessings!

Jodi said...

I think the only way that a person avoids mishaps in the kitchen ... is to never cook or bake - lol. :o)

Shortbread cookies are my hubbie's favorite, and yours sound yummy.

I love that your chunky, chewy gingerbread men are all so glossy; they are truly beautiful! While your recipe didn't work for what you wanted, maybe you can use it again -- when being sticky isn't an issue.

Abounding Treasures said...

Jodi,

So true *LOL*

The glossy gingerbread are fine but I wanted to ship them as part of a gift and they won't travel well so that's why I was disappointed :o)

I'm going to use them as *local gifts* closer to home ...

My husband's favourite shortbread cookies are made with brown sugar & white so I've got to get hold of that recipe as well from my sis-in-law.

Trust you're keeping well and getting enough rest :o)

Blessings,
Dallas