Tuesday, September 30, 2008

The Magic Spell


Have you ever told a story
To a little child of five
And watched her eyes grow bigger
As the drama comes alive?

Have you ever felt her quiver
With excitement and delight
When the wicked king is vanquished
By the good and noble knight?

And when the story's over
Do you wish you needn't leave
This lovely land of fantasy
This world of make-believe?

Well, that's because,unknowingly,
You've cast a magic spell,
Not only on the little child,
But on yourself as well :o)

~ Alice E. Chase ~
This was often how my children felt when we read stories together and it's often how I still feel as an adult, curling up in my favourite chair, either reading a new story or an old familiar one!

Some books are so real that you feel a part of them :o)

Does anyone else remember the magic of stortelling to a child or the feeling of becoming one with a book they have read?

Blessings,




8 comments:

Sharon said...

The last time I remember feeling as if I were right in the middle of a story was when I read The Mitford series by Jan Karon. She made each character and the town so real. :)

Abounding Treasures said...

Sharon,

That's exactly what I was talking about :o)

Those kinds of writers make the stories truly come alive!

Blessings,
Dallas

Susan B said...

Some authors have the ability to draw you into a story so that you feel you are a part of it. I know when I read those kinds of books, I want so much to know how the story ends, but on the other hand, don't want it to end. Those are the stories to read, and read again!

Abounding Treasures said...

Susan,

Stories like this I never tire of but read over and over, usually every year :o)

Blessings,
Dallas

GRANDMA'S KITCHEN said...

I know I found myself in this situation many times with my children and then with my grandchildren. They are moments that I would take nothing for. connie

Abounding Treasures said...

Connie,

You are so right ~ they ARE priceless!!

Blessings,
Dallas

Anonymous said...

I love getting drawn into a story and not be able to put down the book. I feel like I have to know what is on the next page.

Abounding Treasures said...

Theresa,

That's exactly how I feel when I'm reading :o)

Blessings,
Dallas