Monday, September 29, 2008

Let the Rain Kiss You


Let the rain kiss you.

Let the rain beat upon your head
with silver liquid drops.

Let the rain sing you a lullaby.

~ Langston Hughes ~

It wasn't until a friend's mother
told me she wasn't allowed out to play
because it was raining
that I ever realized other families
didn't have the luxury of playing in the rain
and having lots of fun!

Does anyone else remember times in childhood
when you loved playing outside
in ANY weather!


Blessings,

9 comments:

Sharon said...

Oh yes! I remember as a child that we always wanted to be outside playing no matter what the weather. After a rain, we made the best mud pies! ;-)

Lady Laura said...

What a pretty little image to correspond with your poem & post.
We always played outside in all kinds of weather. The one thing I remember from my childhood that I didn't realize about how others lived was riding in the car.

We were a large family and all of us children fought to get a window seat in the car. As we were going down the road with wind blowing in our hair, I actually felt sorry for the cars next to us whose car windows were rolled up. I figured (in my little girl mind) that their window cranks didn't work, or that they were too fussy and didn't want to mess up their hair. It never occurred to me that they had air-conditioning and were better off than us for how could anyone be better off than sitting next to the window in a moving car crowded altogether with your entire family?

Those were the days!

Abounding Treasures said...

Sharon,

Mud pies ~ Yes! those were the days weren't they!?

It seems children these days often are told it's unsafe to make mud pies but we always had lots of fun and it never hurt us :o)

* * *

Lady Laura,

What a delightful memory you've shared!

As a child, I had no idea about air conditioning and LOVED being near the window so the wind could blow in my face :o)

~*~

Blessings to each of you,
Dallas

Kelli said...

The painting is so beautiful. The light is gorgeous! I looked up the artist - what an wonderful talent! Mum has old photos of my sister and I enjoying a rainy day after church. We were photographed wearing our Sabbath best, beautiful velvet pinafores trimmed with exquisite cording and underneath satin blouses with full sleeves. Mum made all our clothes in those days. We are also wearing Wellington boots and holding umbrellas, smiling at the camera with ruffled hair and ponytails half falling out. I remember that day clearly, even after all these years! Thank you for a lovely walk down memory lane!

Abounding Treasures said...

Kalianne,

Thanks for sharing such a beautiful and poignant memory :o)

Blessings,
Dallas

Susan B said...

Dallas,
What a sweet picture! I liked the little poem. I used to love to play out in any kind of weather, though my mother wasn't too keen on us playing in the rain! Like another commenter said, after the rain, mud puddles were the best!

Abounding Treasures said...

Susan,

My mom didn't mind us playing in the rain and we *loved* it ... mud puddles and all :o)

Blessings,
Dallas

~~Deby said...

We couldn't play in the rain...but my husband and I when we were dating loved taking walks in the rain...and here I live in RAINLAND..the Pacific NorthWET....
Surprise...
Deby

Abounding Treasures said...

Deby,

The *Pacific NorthWET* ... I like that!

I used to love walking in the rain but haven't done it in awhile so it's something I must do again and I found a neat raincoat at my favourite Thrift Store so have no excuse :o)

Blessings,
Dallas