Friday, August 15, 2008

A Checkup and Treasure Hunting

Yesterday was a very busy day! I had to drive to the city in the morning to have an *echo* done, which is an ultrasound of the heart. It took about 30 minutes and it was fascinating to watch my heart on the screen while the technician did her thing!

Simple amazing to actually see the little valves opening and closing while my heart was beating powerfully!

In a couple of weeks I return for an early morning heart biopsy which is done to ensure that my body is dealing well with the donor heart :o)

Truly, we are fearfully and wonderfully made :o)

After the test, I met with the post-transplant nurse and a cardiologist for a physical exam which showed that all is working wonderfully well. I then made a trip upstairs to the ward that I *lived in* for 4 full months and met 3 nurses that I had before and who remembered me after all this time :o)

While there, I visited a man who recently received the newer, much smaller 'Heart Mate' LVAD [mechanical heart pump] which is literally implanted completely in his body ~ wires, hoses and all.

The only thing on the outside is the machine holding the battery and the dials and switches! He can virtually do ANYTHING he wants except leave the hospital because his home is too far away! If he lived closer, he could go there to await word of his transplant ~ ** ~ When I had my version of the heart pump, I had to push a boat-size battery on wheels everywhere I went; my hoses and wires were outside and I could NOT sleep on my left side which is the ONLY way I can sleep at night ~ even now!

Considering mine was one of the early ones, it's incredible how things change in just a few years!

Next on my agenda was a trip to my favourite thrift store to do some *treasure hunting* ~
This small hand-made quilt cost $.99
and here's a closer look at the detail ~
This hand towel cost $.69 and I bought it especially for the
detail of the crocheting along the edge to give me ideas :o)
Grand Total = $1.68 :o)

9 comments:

Sharon said...

I'm so happy that you are doing well!! :)

I love your treasures. The quilt is beautiful with such nice details. And, of course, you knew I'd like the towel with the crocheted basket. ;-)

Anonymous said...

I do admire your spunk and how you look back at your surgery, my father would have given anything to have the gift of a new heart but it wasen't meant to be.Our bodies are incredible aren't they!!

Abounding Treasures said...

Sharon,

Thanks so much!

I've checked the little *quilt* more closely and it turns out to actually be a queen sized pillow holder :o)

Oh well, I love it and you can't beat $1.68 plus a bit in taxes!!

Isn't the towel with the basket and edging lovely! I'm hoping I can figure out how to add on edging like that on hand towels and pillowcases as they'd make great gits :o)

Do you know of any good links that would help me with figuring it out?

* * *

Diane,

Welcome back! Thanks for your kind comments :o)

Our bodies have been fashioned in an amazing way and I'm so glad that you have wonderful memories of your dear father.

I thank the Lord as well as my donor every day for this gift of life :o)

Blessings to both of you,
Dallas

Anonymous said...

Dear Dallas,

How wonderful that the "echo" went well :-)

Your thrift finds, lovely...

blessings dear friend,

mari

Anonymous said...

We are so blessed to live in a day and time where such technology is available. I'm glad you're doing well. (o:

Your finds are *lovely*. (o:

Anonymous said...

Dear Dallas,

Such wonderful news on your health checkup! :)

I love your thrift shop finds! When Abigail was born a lady at church made a receiving blanket for her ~ a piece of pretty flannel with a very similar crocheted edge all around. I would love to learn how to do that as I think they make wonderful baby gifts. I know I treasure the one we have. The quilted pillow cover is so pretty too!

Sounds like it was a wonderful day for you!

Have a lovely weekend,

Sharon

Abounding Treasures said...

Mari,

Thank you so much :o)

* * *

Michele,

Modern day technology is unbelievable and it was amazing just to watch :o)

* * *

Sharon,

If you ever find instructions on how to *attach* edging to either a baby blanket or a hand towel, please let me know :o)

A wonderful weekend to all of you and thanks for the kind wishes on my good *heart health* report :o)

The *big test* comes in about 2 weeks ...

Blessings,
Dallas

~~Deby said...

I am a thankful person as you are for all the technology today...
You sure did get some treasures...and WONDERFUL price....I have one big project to do that will take me most of next week...then I will make JAM...I will take pictures...
~~Deby

Abounding Treasures said...

Deby,

I *love* treasure hunting and I look forward to the pix of your jam :o)

Will you be posting pix of this project you're working on?

Blessings,
Dallas