Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Wednesday's Simple Adventures at Home

Heavy rains and some blasts of thunder caused only a few minutes power outage yesterday afternoon but it was enough to destroy our router.

Because my husband works shifts, I thoroughly enjoy the Net in the evenings but last night, managed just fine without it :o)

Today was actually cool in my neck of the woods, so I took full advantage of being able to use the oven and made some jumbo *banana-nut-blueberry muffins* as well as some cherry confetti cupcakes and 6 small *cakes*.

All except 2 cupcakes and 3 muffins are now resting in their frozen state in my freezer.

They await the day when they'll be needed for a celebration of some sort for a friend, relative or elderly person living in a nursing home--as a way of saying "I care! and I remember that this day is special to you" :o)

I love baking but since we rarely eat desserts and don't really want to have a lot of baking around, I still bake a lot but in smaller containers. That way, I always have something on hand for *spur-of-the-moment* guests or for those times that the Lord impresses my heart to share with various dear ones!

While waiting for another load of laundry to be washed and dried, I prepared the veggies for mashed potatoes and carrots for tonight's roast beef, gravy and yorkshire pudding [aka *popovers*].

I always add 1 whole medium onion [quartered] and a bit of creamy horseradish to the bit of liquid the roast cooks in and it adds wonderful flavour to the gravy since I don't add any salt.

A couple of weeks ago, I had purchased a ready-made graham crust which I re-discovered in the fridge this morning, so I also put together a banana cream pie for tomorrow.

For the past couple of Wednesday evenings, my husband's other brother has been joining him and their youngest brother in practicing and playing guitar . . . it's been ages since the 3 of them have done anything together, so it's kind of special and we just pray that the Lord uses it to their eternal blessing.

Hope YOUR day was blessed in many small, *everyday ways*!

Raindrops by Dratch & Beringer; Guitar by Jill Barton ~ both at All Posters

5 comments:

Sharon said...

Wow! You accomplished quite a bit today! The horseradish in the gravy sounds delicious! :)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a lovely a productive day.

And I like your idea about baking and freezing most of it so that you have it ready when needed. With only 2 of us I don't like to bake because I end up throwing half of it away. I'm going to try your way. (o:

Blessings,
Michele

Abounding Treasures said...

Sharon,

I guess I did :o)

Try the horseradish and let me know what you think ... here we can get a bottle of very creamy stuff and I use 2 knife-fulls :o)

* * *

Michele,

It was and the temps were cool enough that the house didn't get too warm!

If you enjoy baking, I think you'll find freezing most of it, in smaller sized containers than you might normally use, works really well :o)

Trust tomorrow will be a lovely day for both of you,
Dallas

Anonymous said...

Dear Dallas,

Lots of yummy baking was happening at your house! Your dinner sounded delicious too!

Dallas, you always encourage me by the way you are always looking for ways to be a blessing to others! I appreciate this so much!!

Have a blessed Friday,

Sharon

Abounding Treasures said...

Sharon,

Thank you so much for your kind words and I'm glad I did baking then because today is *hot* again and they'll be NO oven used here!!

Blessings,
Dallas