Ruth went to her mail box and there was only one letter. She picked it up and looked at it before opening it, then she looked at the envelope again. There was no stamp, no postmark, only her name and address.I'm going to be in your neighborhood Saturday afternoon and I'd like to stop by for a visit.
Love Always,
Jesus
Her hands were shaking as she placed the letter on the table.
"Why would the Lord want to visit me? I'm nobody special. I don't have anything to offer." With that thought, Ruth remembered her empty kitchen cabinets.
"Oh my goodness, I really don't have anything to offer. I'll have to run down to the store and buy something for dinner." She reached for her purse and counted out its contents. Five dollars and forty cents.
"Well, I can get some bread and cold cuts, at least." She threw on her coat and hurried out the door. A loaf of french bread, a half-pound of sliced turkey, and a carton of milk . . . leaving Ruth with a grand total of twelve cents to last her until Monday. Nonetheless, she felt good as she headed home, her meager offerings tucked under her arm.
"Hey lady, can you help us, lady?"Ruth had been so absorbed in her dinner plans, she hadn't even noticed two figures huddled in the alleyway. A man and a woman, both of them dressed in little more than rags.
"Look lady, I haven't got a job, ya know, and my wife and I have been living out here on the street, and, well, now it's getting cold and we're getting kinda hungry and, well, if you could help us, lady, we'd really appreciate it."
Ruth looked at them both. They were dirty, they smelled bad and, frankly, she was certain that they could get some kind of work if they really wanted to.
"Sir, I'd like to help you, but I'm a poor woman myself. All I have is a few cold cuts and some bread, and I'm having an important guest for dinner tonight and I was planning on serving that to Him."
"Yeah, well, okay lady, I understand. Thanks anyway." The man put his arm around the woman's shoulders, turned and headed back into the alley. As she watched them leave, Ruth felt a familiar twinge in her heart.
"Sir, wait!" The couple stopped and turned as she ran down the alley after them. "Look, why don't you take this food. I'll figure out something else to serve my guest." She handed the man her grocery bag."Thank you lady. Thank you very much!"
"Yes, thank you!" It was the man's wife, and Ruth could see now that she was shivering.
"You know, I've got another coat at home. Here, why don't you take this one." Ruth unbuttoned her jacket and slipped it over the woman's shoulders.
Then smiling, she turned and walked back to the street . . . without her coat and with nothing to serve her guest.
"Thank you lady! Thank you very much"!
Ruth was chilled by the time she reached her front door, and worried too. The Lord was coming to visit and she didn't have anything to offer Him. She fumbled through her purse for the door key. But as she did, she noticed another envelope in her mailbox.
"That's odd. The mailman doesn't usually come twice in one day." She took the envelope out of the box and opened it.
Dear Ruth,
It was so good to see you again. Thank you for the lovely meal and thank you, too, for the beautiful coat.
Love Always,
Jesus
The air was still cold, but even without her coat, Ruth no longer noticed.
When I first read this simple story last week, my heart was touched and my conscience pricked. Many of us are like Ruth, thinking that we aren't anyone special. We don't have the means. We don't have the time. The Lord wouldn't ask me to do that, would He?A dear friend quoted this poem to me last week and it is so true.
Christ has no other hands but my hands to do His work today;
No other feet but my feet to guide them on His way;
No other lips but my lips to tell them why He died;
No other love but my love to win them to His side.
Do I use all the opportunities
the Lord brings across my path?

And let us not be weary in well doing:
for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.
As we have therefore opportunity,
let us do good unto all men,
especially unto them who are of the household of faith.
~ Galations 6:9-10 ~

No other feet but my feet to guide them on His way;
No other lips but my lips to tell them why He died;
No other love but my love to win them to His side.
Do I use all the opportunities
the Lord brings across my path?

And let us not be weary in well doing:
for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.
As we have therefore opportunity,
let us do good unto all men,
especially unto them who are of the household of faith.
~ Galations 6:9-10 ~

10 comments:
Oh Dallas, this brought tears to my eyes. When we allow the Lord to work through us, we are blessing Him! not ourselves.
A great post as always :)
mari
What a powerful story!
Thank you for visiting my blog. I just read your "The Letter" story and it touched my heart. How precious!
I enjoyed your beautiful blog as well and plan on returning soon.
Have a wonderful day!
This was very good, thank you for the reminder. (o:
I came to your blog via Lady Lydia's home living blog. You have a lovely header. This post was very moving. Thanks for the reminder to be more aware of opportunities around us that the Lord sends our way.
Jenn
mari,
It brought tears to my eyes when I first read it too!
I have several of these little stories and try to be prayerful about which one the Lord wants me to post and when ...
* * *
Tracy,
It is, isn't it! Really touched me when I read it.
* * *
Nancy,
Glad you could *pop in* and that this little story touched your heart as well.
I enjoyed your blog, especially the photo of your dear mother and your precious grand-daughter :o)
See you soon!
* * *
Michele,
You are very welcome :o) It was certainly a pointed reminder to my own heart!
* * *
Jenn,
Thanks for *stopping by*! Thanks for your kind comments on my header which is a photo I took of a view of my front yard & house.
This little story really hit home with me and pricked my conscience about many lost opportunities that I've had.
To each of you ~ thanks for not only visiting, but taking the time to share a little of your own heartfelt thoughts!
May each of you have a wonderful week!
Blessings,
Dallas
So good Dallas...and a reminder that we EVERYTHING I (we) do is done unto Him. This was a great story...a keeper for sure.
Deby
Transforming our heart to be more like His. This story humbles me.
Deby,
That's what I am realizing too! All of His own are His hands, feet and lips while in this scene of time and hopefully we'll yield ourselves to be used by Him.
* * *
Lady Jane,
I was humbled by this little illustration as well. It brought to the fore how much *I* am still in the way!
May both of you have a special day today,
Dallas
Where do you find these powerful stories?! Thank you for sharing thus one x
Post a Comment