Thursday, July 24, 2008

My Little Blankie

This has been my favourite blankie,
Since the day that I was born.
Even though it's dirty, thin and frayed,
And just a little torn.

Mommy tries to coax me,
To let her wash out all the grime,
But I sneak it out from the laundry,
Just in the nick of time!

Saved from suds at least for now,
it goes everywhere with me.
It has my smell and the feel I love,
It's my bedtime security.

Someday I will be brave enough,
To give my cherished blankie away.
Then you'll say how big I am,
And how that will be such a great day!

Long after I have grown up,
In my scrapbook I will see,
Pictures of that treasured blanket,
That was so special to me!

~ Author Unknown ~

All 3 of my children know what it is to have had a special treasure that gave them a warm feeling of security in their little world.

This Fisher Price bunny, called a SMOOSHIE, was my daughter's and she loved it just like the Velveteen Rabbit was loved ~ until it was worn and *fragrant* :o)

Did you or your child[ren] ever have a beloved childhood treasure that they could not do without?



7 comments:

Jodi said...

So sweet! Two with blankies (one of which has retired) - one with a doll named Baby (retired) - one with a bear named Stinky Bear - and one just settled for his own two fingers. ;o)

sherry said...

Smooshie is adorable. :o)

My daughter still has her favorite comfies from babyhood. They're very well loved to the point of fraying, but so special, still.

Anonymous said...

Well I don't have any children but I still have a Winnie the Pooh that my grandparents bought for me when I was 7. It's quite tattered but it means a lot to me.

Abounding Treasures said...

Jodi,

Both my sons had blankies and my daughter always called her Smooshie *Bo Bo* for some reason :o)

* * *

Lady Jane,

Isn't it adorable all the memories associated with their *comfies* ~ I love that word :o)

* * *

Michele,

How very special to have a treasured old Winnie that your grandparents gave you that many years ago :o)

Blessings to each of you today,
Dallas

Sharon said...

My daughter's favorite was the Snuggles bear. Remember him?

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, Dallas, both my boys have special teddies that mean so much to them. They call it their most important possession. :)
One boy is 13yrs old and the other is 10yrs old. One is a snowman the other is a teddy.

Thanks for sharing.

mari

Abounding Treasures said...

Sharon,

I'm not sure if I remember the *Snuggles* bear ... can you describe it? Were they soft and furry?

* * *

Mari,

That is so precious! My daughter called her Fisher Price Smooshie *Bo Bo* for some reason and she loved it so much and couldn't go anywhere without it.

The little thing was only about 5-6 inches long, and soft and *smooshee*!

I enjoyed your photos of your little cottage kitchen as well as the dilemma over preparing menus that you *remember* to use :o)

Blessings,
Dallas