One has written this testimony: "Many a night, as I remember lying quietly in the little upper chamber, before sleep came on there would be a gentle little footstep on the stair, the door would noiselessly open, and in a moment the well known form, softly gliding through the darkness, would appear at my bedside.First there would be a few pleasant inquiries of affection, which gradually deepened into words of counsel. Then, kneeling, her head close to mine, her most earnest hopes and desires would flow forth in prayer. How largely a mother can wish for her boy! Her tears bespoke the earnestness of her desire.
I seem to feel them yet where sometimes they fell on my face. Rising, with a good night kiss, she was gone. The prayers often passed out of thought in slumber, and came not to mind again for years, but they were not lost. They were safely kept in some secret place of memory, for they reappear with a beauty brighter than ever. . .
It would seem to be worth while for every mother to try to weave such memories into the early years of her children’s lives. . .
Where is the busy mother who cannot find time enough to spend thus a few moments every night with each child before it falls asleep, in sweet, loving talk and tender, earnest prayer? Far down into the years the memory of such sacred moments will go..."~ J. R. Miller in his book "HOME-MAKING: Home Memories"
I treasure in my memory all those nights when either my husband or I, read stories to our little ones and cuddled and talked and laughed and sang and prayed.
At the time, I wasn't purposely attempting to create memories .... we were just doing what we enjoyed and treasured ~ time with each other and our children. Little did I realize at the time, but we were making memories that would last a lifetime and always be precious to parents and children alike :o)
This is something either parent can do and should ... our children are only young once and our chances are limited. The resulting blessing from this treasured shared time together are unending and we'll never know in this life, just how far-reaching.
No comments:
Post a Comment