Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Words from 'Marmee'

"Holding a hand of each, and watching the two young faces wistfully, Mrs March said, in her serious by cheery way:

"I want my daughters to be beautiful, accomplished and good. To be admired, loved, and respected.

To have a happy youth, to be well and wisely married, and to lead useful, pleasant lives, with as little care and sorrow to try them as God sees fit to send.

**To be loved and chosen by a good man is the best and sweetest thing which can happen to a woman, and I sincerely hope my girls may know this beautiful experience.

It is natural to think of it ... right to hope and wait for it, and wise to prepare for it, so that when the happy time comes, you may feel ready for the duties and worthy of the joy.

My dear girls, I am ambitious for you, but not to have you make a dash in the world, marry rich men merely because they are rich, or have splendid houses, which are not homes because love is wanting. Money is a needful and precious thing, and when well used, a noble thing, but I never want you to think it is the first or only prize to strive for.

I'd rather see you poor men's wives, if you were happy, beloved, contented, than queens on
thrones, without self-respect and peace."

Although these words were penned by Louisa May Alcott over 140 years ago, the same sentiment lies deep within the heart of every mother and father, for their beloved daughters. Even in our present day.

These are the very things I wish my own daughter.

The screen version depicted on the Right side is a favourite of mine.

I can hardly believe that this is my 101st posting! I've only been blogging since late November but it seems a lot longer -- in good ways :-)

** NOTE: The best and MOST NEEDED experience a woman or anyone, can have, is salvation ~ a personal relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ!

That was my most urgent prayer for each of my children, far surpassing any other, and I am thankful beyond words that over the years, at unique times in their lives, it was answered.**

No comments: