Monday, March 24, 2008

Meat Loaf on Monday

When I asked my son last night what he would like for supper tonight, this was his choice!

Now I realize that meat loaf isn't a favourite of most people, but I've found that combining lean ground beef with ground pork makes for a tastier, juicier dish.

I'm going to be rounding off the dish with mashed potatoes and baked buttercup squash.


The meat loaf is ready and waiting to go into the oven. The laundry is being done and I've got loads of papers and scraps of this and that to sort, so off I go to begin making a "molehill out of a mountain" . . .

2 eggs
1/4 c. ketchup
1/4 c. water
1/2 c. diced onion
1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 c. soft bread crumbs
2-3 lbs. ground beef [I often use 2 lb. beef and 1 lb. pork]

GLAZE:
Ketchup, brown sugar and a touch of honey
Mix together to form a thin paste.

BEAT eggs in a large bowl. Blend in ketchup, water, diced onions, Worcestershire sauce and salt. MIX in soft breadcrumbs. With a fork, MIX ground meat with other ingredients.

Put mixture into a loaf pan and cover with foil. BAKE at 350 degrees for about 1 hour OR until juices run clear and it's no longer pink inside. You may need to drain some of the liquid halfway through the cooking time, depending on your ground meats.

As soon as done, remove the foil and coat the top with some glaze and turn oven to BROIL. Watch it closely, and broil just until glaze starts to bubble. Remove from oven and enjoy!

5 comments:

Karla Cook @ Roads to Everywhere said...

Sounds good to me! Thanks for sharing your recipe!

Sharon said...

I love meatloaf!

Abounding Treasures said...

Karal,

It turned out delicious :-)
* * *
Sharon,

You're an 'oddball' :-)
* *
I don't bother with the foil covering and even though I use a LEAN ground beef and pork mixture, I always find I still have to drain off a bit.

Tomorrow, it's meatloaf sandwich for my husband's work-lunch ~ a favourite of his :-)

Blessings,
Dallas

Abounding Treasures said...

Oops! I guess I thought I could type and look what happened -- I misspelled KARLA's name :-(

~~Deby said...

Oh my goodness...it is a big favorite of mine, I would consider it COMFORT FOOD.
Deby