Friday, November 26, 2010

A Legacy Lives On

When a family is faced with the unexpected death of a loved one who has not made their intentions known in advance, they are also faced with the question of whether or not they want to donate their organs.

I just watched this 7 minute video of those whose lives were saved by Chris Henry last December when he died suddenly and tragically in a vehicle accident.

His mother [who made the decision after laying her head on his chest and still hearing his heart beating but getting no response] meets the 4 people who are forever grateful for their 2nd chance at life.

I know that you will be as moved by this story as I was.

Something worth being aware of ~ Even if you sign your DONOR CARD, you must still TELL your family of your decision because ultimately, upon your death, it will be THEIR decision that will stand and they will need to be aware of what YOU want.

I am forever grateful to the father and fiancee of the young man whose heart I received in the spring of 2005.

4 comments:

sarah said...

amazing!

Susan B said...

A touching video. Organ donation is a gift of life. I know we will always be grateful to the family that donated a liver to my daughter Michelle twenty-two years ago. (We were never able to find out anything about the family due to hospital policy...even today.) Thank you for sharing this Dallas.

Dee said...

Thank you for sharing this Dallas and thank you for leaving an answer to my question on my blog. I am so happy to actually see someone doing so well that has had a trasnsplant...it is very encouraging to me. Also, congratulations on your gallery sale. I am sure you will have many more. Dee

Abounding Treasures said...

Sarah,

It definitely is!

***

Susan,

It certainly is a gift of life! It's amazing how well people do who have received kidney transplants!!

Our hospital has the same policy of anonymity in all cases.

I'm going to write a post explaining how I came to meet the donor family since it's too long to explain here :o)