Thursday, June 10, 2010

Finding Treasures

I had a wonderful visit with my elderly friend who was a hospital room-mate of mine over 5 years ago at the time I received my mechanical heart pump.

When I went thrifting at my favourite *new-to-me* store, I found some delightful treasures!

The books were all 69 CENTS -- buy 4 and get 1 FREE ~ isn't that fantastic!!?

If You Take a Mouse to School and If You Give a Moose a Muffin are thin and therefore excellent for mailing to my grandson.

Something from Nothing is adapted from a Jewish folk tale and I plan on using the richly coloured pages for some of my Butterfly and Baby Elephant Wimsy collages. I'll be doing the same with the 2 vintage Beatrix Potter books.

Joan Walsh Anglund's book is in mint condition so I'll keep it on hand for a gift and the bottom Teddy Bear book is to have on hand when little ones come along for dinner with their parents ~ this will give them something to look at that is fun :o)

This is the interior mat of an 8 X 10 frame that cost $3.99 - it's in mint condition and I know from having seen the work of others, that quilling takes a LOT OF TIME and PATIENCE so I appreciated the beauty of these flowers and leaves that accent the top left and bottom right hand corners of the oval mat :o)

I hope your week is going well and that you are enjoying the magic of ordinary days!

9 comments:

HOPE said...

Love the quilling on the mat..how very pretty!

Great find..and I love your store shoppin name..NEW TO ME...cute.

My daughter calls the Salvation Army...Sally's.

God bless you Dallas..
HOPE

NanaNor's said...

Thursday blessings to you Dallas, Loved your grateful heart and what a treausre to have made such a good friend when you were in the hospital-but I imagine you are such a treasure to those you meet, a true friend indeed.
Love all the books.
Have a wonderful day dear one!
Love, Noreen

Jeannette said...

You personify the feeling of the rhyme that Robert Louis Stevenson penned: "The world is so full of a number of things, I sure we should all be as happy as kings."

Anonymous said...

Wow those are some wonderful treasures! I'm *so happy* that you're having such a lovely time during your 'stay-cation'.

Blessings!
~Michele

Lady Farmer said...

Dallas, you did find some treasures! Books are some of my favorite things and you've found some nice ones! Oh and that wonderful quill work! That alone would make the trip worth it (except for the visit with your hospital room mate!) How wonderful that you still keep in touch with her! I know she feels so blessed by your visits!
Blessings to you!

Finding Joy said...

I love the quilling - the colours and design is just beautiful.

Love cheap books - always makes me happy:)

Have a lovely weekend.

Abounding Treasures said...

Hope,

I call anything that I buy that's *used* ~ new-to-me treasures :o)

***

Noreen,

Thanks for the sweet words! I'm going to post something else about this dear lady shortly ... she is tiny, sprightly and full of warmth and it was a joy having her for a room-mate :o)

***

Jeannette,

How sweet of you to say that :o)

***

Michele,

Our STAYcation was officially over on Monday ... the weather was not great so we didn't take many day excursions :o(

We did have a wonderful time, just being around the house together and sharing meals during the day, etc ... special in their own right :o)

***

Lady Farmer,

I love checking out the book section when I'm thrifting!!

The quilling was a last minute find and I love it!

The visit I had with the elderly friend was delightful :o)

***

Jo,

I LOVE used books!! The quilling is gorgeous and I had a great visit with my friend :o)

~*~

Blessings to all of you dear ladies as the weekend approaches,
Dallas

susansspace said...

Glad your visit well well!
Great finds with the pretty quilling, & the nice array of books!
Blessings, Susan

Mo said...

I have had The Tailor of Gloucester for years....I've always enjoyed *mice* books. I love finding books.....