Monday, May 3, 2010

The Gift of a Bible - UPDATED

This afternoon, my DH and I had a wonderful visit with an elderly friend who lives in a nearby nursing home.

When they were talking about a Christian book store in the city that this gentleman hopes to visit next week, my husband mentioned that he needed to begin looking for a new Bible since the one he uses is coming apart at the binding ~ this was news to me and surprised me because it is less than 10 years old.

Anyways, our friend immediately gave him the choice of 2 brand-new KJV Bibles he still had in boxes that he had purchased several years ago! **One of them happened to be a Bible that my husband has always hoped he'd own one day but thought went out of print many years ago . . .

Both of us were touched and amazed at his generosity and thoughtfulness and ultimately to the Lord who laid it on his heart to present such a wonderful gift in the 1st place :o)

Blessings,


** UPDATED: In answer to Michele's question ~ the Bible he chose is sometimes known as The Englishman's Bible -- the King James Version with Hebrew and Greek notations and references throughout ... a great study Bible.

9 comments:

Susan B said...

That was very generous of your friend to give a Bible to your husband. God blesses us in so many ways...thank you for sharing this. :)

TO BECOME said...

What a truly thoughtful thing from the man to do for your husband. I know it must have meant so much to him to know that the Bible he had would be used by such a Godly man. Sweet post, loved it. connie

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

How special ~ Both the time you spent together and his gift!

Dee said...

What a nice ending to your visit. This gentleman has a kind heart and your husband was fortunate to get a bible he wanted.

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

Sounds like a beautiful gift was given by all...you and your husband of your time and him of his gift of a Bible, and the Lord who delighted to bring it all about for your pleasure!

Anonymous said...

What a blessing! What kind of KJV Bible was it?

C said...

Praise God!! That is so awesome.

This past Christmas I bought each of us (hubby, my 2 boys, and myself) new (KJV) Bibles. I had my eyes opened up a bit about the "other" versions. I bought myself the Life Application Study Bible and my husband the Evidence Bible...both are KJV. Well I fell in love with my husband's and used a gift card that I got to Barnes and Noble to order another one.

Again, that is so awesome....I love it when God just blatantly blesses you like that.

Take Care!!!

-Cafe

Anonymous said...

Hi Dallas ~

What a wonderful blessing!

Hope your week is going well!
Sharon

Abounding Treasures said...

Ladies,

I knew you'd all appreciate how we felt when this gift was given!

I love how Cafe put it - "I love it when God just blatantly blesses you like that."

Blessings to each of you dear sisters in Christ ~ I value your taking the time to leave me sweet comments :o)

Dallas