You may have tangible wealth untold;
Caskets of jewels and coffers of gold.
Richer than I you can never be ---
I had a mother who read to me.
~ Strickland Gillilan - The Reading Mother ~

I was at a friend's home yesterday for lunch and an afternoon visit and one of the things we talked about was the importance of a child SEEING their parents read and having their parents READ TO THEM.
Without words, the 1st shows the child how enjoyable reading is and what value the parents place upon it in their own lives.
The 2nd shows what value the parents place upon time spent with their child and how very much they enjoy the closeness and wonder of reading with them.
In our family, I read stories to our little ones at various times through the day. But the close of every day was always highlighted by a bedtime story, something we all looked forward to and something that helped soothe and calm them before they fell asleep.
This continued for many years and my daughter and I shared chapter books well into her teens and these times engendered many wonderful conversations.
I don't know how they feel about it, but I know that I treasure every one of those moments :o)
Blessings,


7 comments:
Good morning and thank you for sharing! My husband and I both love to read! So many sweet memories reading to our son when he was little and even as he got older. Our son and "daughter" both love books! Such a blessing! Simple blessings ~ Teri
I read to my girls, too! Together we enjoyed the Little House books, The Chronicles of Narnia and so many other childhood classics. Today, my oldest reads to her two little girls every evening, along with a Bible verse, a song and a prayer! What a blissful way to head off to dreamland!
Oh I agree, Dallas!
My son just made me a grandma and I am already thinking of what book to buy her first!
I read and read and read to our first kids, then less and less as more came along. When I see or think of the books we shared my heart smiles. Where is the bear when the wind blows cold? I should have been more faithful to read to all six of the kids.
I think one of the most precious gifts a parent can give their child is the love of reading. It allows them to read and discover. My mother use to read to me, and when my children were little I would read to them.
And for Christian children - they can read their own bibles and that is a lifetime gift.
My mother read to me alot, and also sang while she went about doing her housework. It just came natural to do the same with my daughters. The love of reading and of enjoying music are two wonderful legacies we can pass on to our children.
Blessings, Susan
P.S. I love that little poem! S: )
Teri,
Aren't those special memories made over the years wonderful?!!
***
Lady Farmer,
I remember those happy evenings when they were little ~ a bath, a bedtime story, a little singing and then a prayer ~ so very wonderful and special indeed!!
***
Mrs Rabe,
Let me know which book you buy her 1st ~ you're going to have such special delightful times all curled up with her on your lap, reading stores and even before she understands what's being read, she's going to LOVE the sound of your voice!!
***
Mrs Mobunny,
I know how you feel about wishing you had read more to all the children, but I know the memories of all of them cherish the times you were able.
I smile and remember often books or titles that we loved :o)
***
Jo,
It is one of the most precious gifts a parent can give their child and as you said, it enables Christian children to read their own Bibles and that is a treasure beyond measure :o)
***
Susan,
The joys of reading and music are indeed two very special gifts we can share with out children!
~*~
Blessings to each of you as the weekend gets underway,
Dallas
Post a Comment