I was contacted by the Heart Transplant Clinic this past week to let me know that a special clinic was in place for the day after Remembrance Day at one of the city's large hospitals specifically for heart, kidney and liver transplant recipients as well as those presently receiving chemotherapy.All of us would receive the H1N1 vaccination there so that it could be done quickly ~ we all have *depressed immune systems* as a result of the medications we are receiving and according to the medical community, can't afford to wait.
Other than the usual bruising after I receive any needle of any kind at any time, I'm happy to report that I felt no side effects!
At this clinic, all of us learned that for anyone presently receiving immunosuppressive therapy, there is the possibility that our immune systems may NOT respond like a normal person's to the vaccine ---
For me, that is completely in the Lord's hands ...
REMEMBRANCE DAY itself, although a day specifically set aside to remember and honour all those who have fought for our country at various times throughout history, was for me personally, a day of thanksgiving and a flood of memories.
It was 5 years ago this past Thursday that I received my LVAD, or Left Ventricular Assist Device...a mechanical pump that took over the pumping of the left ventricle of my heart ... This photo was taken of me holding the part of the LVAD that was attached from my heart to the outside of my body on the left side of my abdomen.
It looked somewhat like a transparent, very large YO-YO and you could actually see the blood actually being pumped. It made a constant CLIP CLOP* noise somewhat like a horse prancing down an old cobblestone street.
The newer ones are virtually SILENT and implanted COMPLETELY INSIDE the body, with only a narrow cord showing outside, which attaches to the battery unit carried inside a fanny pack ~ I'm always in awe of all that the Lord enables doctors and medical researcher to discover!
This amazing LVAD kept my weakened heart pumping STRONGLY so that all my organs began receiving oxygen rich blood once again and were healthy for when the Lord blessed me with another miracle, that of having a donor match me in every way necessary so that I was able to receive the Gift of Earthly Life.
Thankfully for me, there was a moment in my life almost 28 years before, when I received the Gift of Eternal Life . . . when finally seeing my my sinful, helpless and lost condition before God, I realized that the Lord Jesus Christ had paid the price for my sin on Calvary's cross and I trusted him as my Saviour and Lord.


9 comments:
This is absolutely amazing! I have never known anyone that went through something like this. May God bless you in a special way as He keeps you.
So glad to hear that you have had no side affects from the needle.
Yes, I to marvel at the wonders of modern medicine - just how far it has come and wonder were it is heading.
God Bless
Jo
Julie,
Thank you so much for your kind words.
Looking back, I realize more every day that it was only the grace of God that kept my husband and I through the entire journey and we praise Him for it.
Of course, it hasn't ended yet so I pray that He helps me keep my eyes continuously focused on Him until He carries me home to Glory!
***
Jo,
I know what you mean! Some so-called marvels of modern medicine bring more questions than answers :o(
~*~
Blessings to both of you,
Dallas
Praise God...
and praying for you
sister in the Lord!
Love~ Jen
Hi,The University Of michigan Hospital in Ann Arbor Michigan built a 35,000 square foot state of the art caradiovascular center. This is where Frank will go to have his transplant when the time comes. Reading your blog gives me so much reassurance that we can have a normal life after the transplant. Like you, we put it all in the Lords hands. Blessings. Dee
Miss Jen,
Thanks so much ~ I really appreciate it :o)
***
Dee,
Between the Lord Himself and this new, wonderful cardiac center, Frank will be in wonderful hands when the time comes for his heart transplant.
I am thankful that this blog gives you both some reassurance that you can enjoy a *normal life* once that hurdle is passed :o)
~*~
Blessings dear sisters in Christ,
Dallas
Isn't it just amazing the technology God has allowed us to acquire?!
I am just amazed by your testimony, your attitude during such a HUGE trial and God's grace during the whole thing.
Dear Dallas, I don't know how I missed this post but I am happy to catch up on this amazing day in your life. It is truly amazing to read and see the picture of your LVAD. I am so thankful for all God has done for you!
Blessings, Dear Dallas!
Kindly, ldh
Michele,
God certainly showed us His amazing grace through that trial!!
And each and every day even now, He does the same, in different ways and I try to remember that -- He's there in the small details as well as the huge :o)
***
Mrs H,
The glory is all HIS ... we praise Him for what He has brought us through and what He is still doing and look forward to that day when we will see Him face to face :o)
I'm glad that I have a couple of pix that were taken of me with that contraption *attached* or after so many years, it would seem *surreal*.
~*~
Blessings to both of you,
Dallas
Post a Comment