Tuesday, March 4, 2008

My Journey to Transplant

I received my SECOND CHANCE at life by miraculously receiving a donor heart on March 3, 2005.

My personal journey to that day took almost 9 years and along the way I met so many caring and compassionate individuals.

In Septtember 1996, I was diagnosed with 'Dilated Cardiomyopathy' as a result of viral myocarditis which had been caused by a very slight 2-day sore throat between Christmas and New Year's 1995.

This viral infection didn't cause that much of a sore throat but just when I thought it had gone, it was instead 'attacking' the heart muscle, destroying it just the way multiple heart attacks would have.

By February 1996, I had developed a constant dry hacking cough. I became "winded" just delivering a few of my sons' newspapers while they were playing afterschool sports. I was only 39 years old at the time and never thought of anything major being wrong at that point.

Blood tests at that point revealed nothing untoward and my heart was not yet enlarged enough to show up as such on the chest x-ray.

From May to July 1996, the cough seemed to decrease a little. By mid August we stayed with my husband's folks at their cottage for a couple of days and I had never "minded" the heat so much in my life. I could hardly even walk back the few hundred yards from the beach to the cottage.

By the end of that summer, I got short of breath just sitting on a couch reading a book! Something was definitely wrong but the extent of the problem was something I could never have imagined. My ankles were so swollen that when walking downstairs, they felt 'spongy'.

I made an appointment with our family doctor and various tests were performed, all of which indicated that I was suffering from DILATED CARDIOMYOPATHY which in turn had caused me to suffer from symptoms of advanced CONGESTIVE HEART FAILURE.

A subsequent cardiac catheterization showing clear arteries, confirmed that this DCM was caused by a simple virus!! I was place on a barrage of very helpful medications specifically for CHF and they kept most of the symptoms at bay for several years.

My 1st major hospitalization was a direct result of the congestive heart failure and required that I be in hospital for 6 weeks in Jan-Feb 2002.

In October 2003, a gangrenous appendix which had caused peritonitis, required emergency surgery. My husband was told to be prepared because my chances of surviving weren't good.

In the spring of 2004, I was admitted to our local hospital for a few weeks and when somewhat stable, was transferred by ambulance to the city hospital about an hour away to try to get rid of the 25 pounds or so of excess fluid in my body tissue. Once that goal was reached about 6 weeks later, I returned home feeling so much better than I had in a long time.

That feeling of wellness lasted only about a month at which time I had gained back ALL the fluid even tough I was following a 'super low', low sodium diet. Once again I was short of breath just by walking a few feet from my bedroom to the bathroom. My appetite was almost nil and the specialists were worried about my various electrolyte levels which were dangerously erratic.

My regular appointment with our local Heart Function Clinic led to my being directly admitted to the Cardiac unit where once again over several weeks, excess fluid was removed with large doses of Lasix, a diuretic.

Just when I thought I was going to be released once again, my husband and I received word that it was best to stay longer and begin the assessment for a future heart transplant.

Various tests were performed; multiple doctors of various specialties interviewed me and examined me; various immunizations were received . . . I was told that I would be given a beeper so that I could be reached anywhere, anytime.

Suddenly though, things took a turn for the worse and just days before qualifying for "the official waiting list", I was told that unless something drastic was done, I would no longer even be a transplant candidate because of worsening major kidney failure.

A surgeon who was specially trained in Left Ventricular Assist Devices was sent in to my hospital room to explain all about these "mechanical heart pumps" and how they work. I was overwhelmed and amazed and I think at that point, so weak and tired and so ready to leave this scene of time if it was the Lord's will, that I told him, YES! I would let them implant one.

The day after Remembrance Day 2004, I received an LVAD, an amazing mechanical heart pump that provided me with what is called a 'bridge to transplant'. I felt like a whole new person almost immediately.

During the surgery and immediately afterward, my husband was once again told to be prepared because they couldn't be sure that I would make it.

Many hurdles popped up during those 4 months of waiting and living in a private room in the cardio-vascular unit, but the Lord was over all, helping the brilliant medical team come up with solutions [sometimes a little out of the ordinary], until the day came when I was told that a miracle had taken place and I had matched with a donor heart!

The two surgeons performing my heart transplant surgery were the same ones who had performed the surgery to implant my LVAD four months previously so I was in familiar and caring hands.

Needless to say, I do not remember anything about the surgery but I have been told many times by my husband and the doctors how delicate and how long it was! Generally speaking, heart transplant surgery lasts from 6-12 hours. I was in surgery for almost 24 hours and even then, doctors could not close my chest because of bleeding and swelling.

As a result of those complications, I was left sedated for a total of about 90 hours with a special gauze covering my open chest, while they waited for the swelling to decrease. My husband was once again told that he should be prepared for the possibility that I wouldn't survive.

Almost 3 days after the surgery was begun, they were finally able to close my chest and told my husband that the next several days were the most critical, especially after the severity of the whole procedure.

Well, I survived and thrived and by early April was asked by the city newspaper to do an interview with one of my surgeons. I felt fabulous and could hardly wait to go home.

About a week after that, I felt sharp pains in my abdomen that no one on the cardiac unit could diagnose. Because of recurring kidney stone problems during the last few years of my heart problems, a urology resident was called in to see if that was the problem but it wasn't.

To make a long story short, I had to have emergency surgery to remove an obstruction of the bowel which turned out to be caused by the old adhesions from my 2003 abdominal surgery!

As you can probably already guess, my dear husband was told yet again that the prognosis did not look good and to be prepared for the worst.


Well, once again, I survived. Obviously, it was not my time to go home to glory and as I look back over those days and weeks, I am amazed and awed by the grace that the Lord poured into my husband's heart and soul as he prepared not once, not twice, but several times for my death. I am reminded of His wondrous promise:

And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee:
for my strength is made perfect in weakness.
Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities,
that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

I Corinthinans 12:9

First and foremost, I thank the Lord Jesus Christ for overseeing my "entire journey", from the implantation of the LVAD to helping me cope with having to live in a hospital ward for almost 7 months, separate from my family and secondly, I want to thank the donor's family for their selfless and difficult decision in the midst of their loss and sorrow . . . without them, I wouldn't have this "second chance" at living.

Last but never least, I thank my dear husband for his love, care and unfailing devotion to me and I thank all our family and friends for their love and support during a very long, emotional and sometimes stressful experience.

Blessings,




The photo on the middle LEFT above shows me holding the part of the LVAD that hung outside my body on the left side of my abdomen.


It looked somewhat like a transparent, very large yo-yo and you could see the blood actually being pumped. That machine basically took over the pumping of my Left Ventricle!



12 comments:

TO BECOME said...

Your story was such a blessing. I am so thankful that God chose to save your life. I just cannot imagine all that you went though, but I know that it was the Lord who saw you though it all. You have been very blessed. Thank you so much for sharing this great story. connie from Texas

Abounding Treasures said...

Connie,

I feel blessed just to be here to be able to share my story, as it really is a story of the Lord's matchless grace and presence!

Just this sinner's story of how the Lord carried me in His everlasting arms, through the fire and was with me every step of the way. Praise His precious Name :o)

Blessings,
Dallas

Deborah said...

What an amazing story you have to tell! God is so good!

Last year my dad had his second heart valve replacement...this time because of endocarditis...infection in the lining. So much of what you wrote was so familiar...being out of breath, no appetite..the difference being, my dad turned 80 two months after his surgery! I was so prepared for him to go home...but God had other plans!
I'm so enjoying catching up on your posts!

Abounding Treasures said...

Deborah,

How wonderful that your Dad is doing well now with his 2nd value replacement and that he is able to spend more time with his family.

I am glad that you are enjoying some of my older posts :o)

Blessings,
Dallas

Susan B said...

Dallas, I have just read about you heart transplant. What an amazing story. Everything that you went through, the Lord has truly blessed you.

Our youngest daughter Michelle had a liver transplant when she was 13 months old. She is now 21, and we feel so blessed that God choose to save her. We are thankful that she continues to do well.

Thank you so much for sharing your story. God bless you.

Abounding Treasures said...

Susan,

How wonderful that your daughter Michelle is still doing so well, many, many years after her miraculous liver transplant!!

May the Lord bless you and your family,
Dallas

Cathryn said...

Hi Dallas, I've been looking around your blog and I decided to click on your transplant story. Oh goodness gracious - what a testimony. What a story. Wow. Amazing. I'd like to be a follower of your blog, if that is okay. I'm gonna keep checking it out. Lord Bless You. Cathy P.S. What mighty work God must be using you for. He held you here again and again for reasons only He may know.

Abounding Treasures said...

Cathy,

Thanks so much for visiting my blog and leaving wonderful comments here and there :o)

I agree with what you said - that the Lord held me here for only reasons that He knows.

Because of that, it's my prayer that the time left to me isn't ill-used and that in some small measure I am doing what He wants as I make my vain and muddling attempts to listen to and heed His still small voice.

In His Precious Name,
Dallas

Adrienne said...

Dear Dallas -
After reading today's post and leaving my comment I came here to catch up and get better acquainted with your story. What an incredible picture of the fact that God was not finished with you! My first thoughts were from the Scripture that tells us that he has a plan and a future for us. Your dear husband and you went through so much to get to today. Praise God for His strength for each day of your journey.

Blessings to you,
~Adrienne~

Abounding Treasures said...

Adrienne,

Thanks for taking the time out of your busy days to leave a comment :o)

In retrospect, my husband and I went through some very challenging situations to get to where we are today although at the time, it didn't seem that way.

And that's probably because the Lord carries you and gives strength and grace where and when needed so that in weakness, we were able to trust.

Even at the time of being told that I needed an LVAD to survive long enough to see if I matched a donor heart, I didn't realize how close to death I was ... one of the surgeons told me about 6 weeks later!

Because the Lord has plans for all of us, my prayer is that I continue to bow and yield as He makes them known to me :o)

Blessings to you and your family,
Dallas

Anonymous said...

I am so encouraged and blessed to read this story! My own 11YO daughter was diagnosed with dilated cardiomyopathy over 9 years ago, and she still has her own heart! Such wonderful grace the Lord has given to us and such wonderful care here on earth! She is on status 2 listing for heart transplant, but we are expecting the Lord to heal her completely and to not need another heart. Thank you for sharing your story! God bless,
Susan

Abounding Treasures said...

Susan,

I too pray that your dear daughter is miraculously healed ...

It was about 9 years after diagnosis that I ultimately needed a transplant and through the entire journey, the Lord was my Strength and Stay!

He knows our every breath and what He has in store for us ... and I always pray that I won't ever take anything for granted again.

Blessings,
Dallas