Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Recent Days

This last week of September has been busy around our home!

My husband had his birthday this past weekend and to celebrate, we went out for our favourite Chinese dinner on Friday evening, consisting of Beef and Broccoli, Fried Rice, Almond Chicken Soo Gui with Sweet and Sour Sauce on the side ~ mmmmm!

A friend of mine and her husband had a wedding to attend Saturday afternoon but couldn't find a sitter for their 6 yr old daughter, so I offered to do the honours after checking with my Mom that she didn't mind spending her last Saturday afternoon that way :o)

I guess I had forgotten just how busy a child that age is! I sure discovered that I'm not as energetic as I was when my own 3 children were that age :o)

I used some of my cardmaking supplies as well as some of my scalloped circle punches and we made all sorts of neat things.

Monday morning rolled 'round and the dreaded hour came when I had to take my Mom to the airport!

It was raining so heavily that I could barely see out of the windshield and was going slower than most of the traffic simply because I don't like the feeling of losing control in that kind of weather on the highway.

We passed the scene of a recent horrendous single vehicle accident where the top of the car was sheared right off and have heard since that a young 19 yr old male was killed instantly at the scene.

Seeing something like that reminds me all over again just how fleeting the moments of life are!

The most important thing is that I had a moment in my life when I trusted the Lord Jesus Christ as my Saviour and Lord ... anything else I might do or be or accumulate, will do NOTHING for me at that moment of death. Praise His Name!

Good-byes are never easy, especially as both my Mom and I are getting older and as my mother-in-law told me a few days before she died, you never know what a day may bring forth.

When she visited us when our children were toddlers, they always cried so hard when she left and I always told them that was the small price they had to pay for the privilege and joy of seeing and visiting with her ~ I had to remind myself of that yesterday :o)

Blessings,

9 comments:

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

I am sorry that your mom had to go home, and am thankful that you had time together, which is so precious!

NanaNor's said...

Hi dear Dallas, So sorry you're mom had to leave but what treasures the two of you have with time spent together making memories. So glad that Lord's hand of protection was upon you both on the way to the airport.
Blessings on your week.
Noreen

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

Birthday wishes to your husband! Should you ever come to NJ we should go out for Chinese together... it is my favorite!

Nice that you had this time with your mother and that you arrived safely at the airport in such bad weather.

Thinking of you as you re-adjust after her visit.

Kindly, ldh

Anonymous said...

Saying goodbye is never easy and it never gets easier! I'm glad you had such a long, memory-filled visit with your mom, what a blessing!

Mrs. E said...

Happy birthday to your dear husband!
I am so glad to hear your mother
arrived safely!!

Love~ Miss Jen

Abounding Treasures said...

Dear Friends,

Thank you so very much for all the caring and thoughtful comments!

May each and every one of you have a wonderful week - end :o)

Blessings,
Dallas

Susan B said...

Hi Dallas,
I'm glad you had the lovely long visit with your mother, even though it is always difficult to say goodbye. I'm sure you have many wonderful memories of her visit. Happy Birthday to your husband! Chinese food sounds so yummy. :o)

susansspace said...

I'm late catching up on blogging this week, & suppose by now your mom is safely back at her home! So glad you two had a special time together!
Also, belated b'day wishes to your hubby! The menu sounded wonderful, as we love eating Chinese food, too!
Susan

Abounding Treasures said...

Susan & Susan,

My Mom is now safely home and our Chinese dinner for my husband's birthday was DELICIOUS ~ it's our very favourite kind of food but because I'm not allowed much sodium, we only have it a very few times a year for very special occasions :o)

Blessings to you both,
Dallas