I'm not sure about you, but for some odd reason, I've been scratching my head more often than usual when trying to think what I'm going to make for supper :o)
In summer, we often have BBQs with either pork steaks, chicken, steaks, hot dogs or hamburgers but it's the *in-between* times and the times when it's pouring outside and too humid inside to use the oven that I'm talking about ...
Help me out and let me know what YOUR summer standbys are for days like that?
Fortunately, this past Monday was much cooler so I took advantage and made ham and scalloped potatoes in the oven ... the house didn't even get hot!
The temps didn't warm up here until Thursday and that's very odd for this time of year -- it's usually HOT and HUMID and UNCOMFORTABLE :o)
Blessings,
15 comments:
Those inbetween times get me, too!
tacos, chicago beef sandwiches, fajitas, breakfast for dinner :)
I've been at my wit's end about this subject too so I hope lots of people comment about it.
For some reason I keep forgetting to check your homemaking blog. I'll have to do better! (o:
Lizziekristine,
I'm hoping to get lots of ideas so come back and take a peek :o)
My problem is compounded because I have to really be super careful about my sodium intake :o(
***
Julie,
We do fajitas/wraps, breakfast for dinner [less now that my husband has to watch his cholesterol] -- what are Chicago beef sandwiches?
My problem is compounded because I have to really be super careful about my sodium intake :o(
***
Michele,
Hopefully we'll get lots of ideas!
Not to worry about checking my homemaking blog ~ most times I forget to post in it anyway :o)
~*~
Blessings to each of you,
Dallas
I enjoy cooking up some pasta (often spagetti) and then dicing some fresh veggies - whatever I have on hand. I rinse off the pasta, add the veggies, and use either store bought Italian dressing or make my own vinegrette to marinate the pasta & veggies in. Refrigerate and serve.
Rebecca,
This sounds delicious and is something that I hadn't thought of ~ sort of a cold spaghetti salad dinner right :o)
Blessings,
Dallas
One of our favorites is Chinese Chicken Salad. I'm planning to make it for the crafts gals that come over on Thursdays, so will try to remember to snap some photos & post the recipe on my blog. It's easy, doesn't heat up your kitchen in preparation & is always a crowd pleaser.
(I'll post it on Weds., or Thurs.)
P.S. Your picture was so neat! Couldn't tell it was raining until I enlarged it.
Stay cool! Susan
I have been eating a lot of salads. I don't do much cooking anymore. I do like vegetables and salads though.
Mrs.D,
BBQ for me too!! :)
I love to make fresh cold,
crisp salads on hot summer days!
"Lettuce in Your Kitchen" is my favorite salad entree cookbook... almost every salad is amazingly wonderful!!! I think it is out of print but you can find it on ebay... amazon etc... :) Hope you are having a sweet day dear sister in the Lord!
Blessings~ Jen
My sister uses her crock-pot...easy...doesn't heat up the kitchen....we eat a lot of salads...
deby
Hi Dallas ~
I think the summertime can be a more difficult time to plan dinners ~ I, too, can always use more help in this area! I do like to have simple meals ~ like chicken salad, when it is too hot to want to turn on the oven. It is cool here today and we have had some rain recently just like in your picture!
Your ham and scalloped potatoes sounded delicious!
Blessings to you this week,
Sharon
Susan,
I look forward to your recipe for Chinese Chicken Salad and your photo!
***
Cathy,
Salads and veggies are great! But, I think I love them more than my husband and son.
***
Jen,
I'm with you on salads and that book sounds fantastic!
***
Deby,
I should use my crockpot a LOT more than I do ~ seems like I use it only for things like spaghetti sauce, chili and such when I could be doing SO MUCH MORE, especially in the summer!
***
Sharon,
I agree that in some ways, the summertime is a bit more difficult to plan ~ the other times of the year, it seems much easier because virtually anything goes :o)
I keep forgetting my old fashioned SKILLET that my in-laws gave us for Christmas one year rather than the indoor grill that they had thought of ... we told them we wouldn't use the grill that much.
Skillet recipes aren't the easiest thing to find anymore -- they must be *vintage* or something :o)
~*~
Blessings to each of you,
Dallas
We live in South Carolina, and growing up, my mom would do a lot of "cold" plates for dinner - tomato sandwhiches, baloney & cheese sandwhiches, fried spam or fried baloney or fried hotdogs, chicken salad sandwhiches from leftover cold chicken, cucumber / tomato / onion salad (tossed with italian dressing or just vinegar), grapes, any sort of fruits, yogurt, tacos, etc. We did a lot of breakfast-for-supper too (grits, eggs, cheese & leftover biscuits. I ate my weight in cold cucumbers (soaked in vinegar & salt!) during summers when I was little too. :-D
Now that I'm grown, I also like making cold pasta - boil pasta then mix with italian dressing, perhaps chop up some hotdog weiners to go in it. Stir fry is good too since you're not heating up the oven, along with all of the other typical top of the stove fare (steamed veggies, rice, meatless speghetti). You can also boil a chicken in a stock pot, let it cool, cut in pieces, throw in the fridge then munch off of it through out the week (cold chicken is a southern staple! haha). You can also put it on lettuce, toss in some cheese, tomatoes, grapes, & carrots for a good cold chicken salad. For the 1st year of our married life we didnt have an oven to cook in, so all of my dishes were made on top of the stove or in our tiny toaster oven. Not having to heat up the house with the stove was great during those days! :)
oh oh oh oh....might I also add, I have quite the love affair going on with my 6 quart crock pot too! :) I cook tons of stuff in there during the summer. Right now I have a pork butt on low cooking, with plans to have mustard-based shredded pork on sandwhiches tomorrow night. :)
Lisa,
You're making me hungry reading about all the delicious meals your Mom put together those long ago summers!
Your own dishes sound so tasy! I've had a couple of people mention their slow cooker and shredded pork sandwiches so that is something I'm going to make for sure :o)
Thanks for all your wonderful ideas and I've done the chicken on the stovetop and then cut for sandwiches and casseroles for the microwave, later in the week.
Baked a roast beef and did the same thing!
My husband's new high cholesterol count has added more trickiness to my own low-sodium meal prep and given me more of a challenge!
Blessings,
Dallas
Post a Comment