Friday, July 31, 2009

Nudged by the Lord

Have you ever felt the Lord nudging you to do something that was sort of contrary to what you might have chosen?

That happened to me the other day shortly after I had visited an elderly friend in a senior's complex near us.

There was a quartet playing some old hymns in the common room for veterans from the other nursing home side of the complex and I stopped to listen awhile before I took the elevator downstairs.

In the process, I passed the door of an elderly woman that I had heard was a missionary for many years in Africa ... on the door was a big sign with the words HAPPY BIRTHDAY and a few colourful balloons.

The Lord nudged me to knock on her door, wish her a Happy Birthday and to tell her that my daughter shared the day with her.

Now, I am basically a shy person and as I turned to go, I almost put it off with thoughts like, "I don't even know her!" ...

The Lord gave one BIG nudge and I realized in that moment that if I didn't do it RIGHT THEN, I would walk away and likely never bother to do it.

So, over I went and my hand tapped on the door.

A big smile spread across her face and this dear 86 year old sister in the Lord delightedly told me the story of how she felt the Lord had called her to mission work in Nigeria for 42 years!


It was a wonderful visit and I was blessed so much by her message, her smile, her obvious love for the Lord and her yieldedness to His will . . . because of our conversation and the turns that it took, I was even able to share this whole story with her and she smiled knowingly :o)

I told her I would be back again!

Happenings like this remind me to listen to His still small voice, even when I don't understand why!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh how wonderful!

I'm glad you obeyed.--I've had the Lord speak to me like that before and *not* obeyed and the feeling afterward is terrible.

And I'm sure you made her day. (o:

Elizabeth Mahlou said...

This is a very nice story. And yes, God has nudged -- and more than just nudged -- me on multiple occasions. One nudge was so big that I ended up with someone else's child and being responsible for him for 15 blessed years!

Mrs. E said...

God is SO good.....
what a wonderful testimony of
His providence in all things!!!

Love~ Miss Jen

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

What a blessing to you both!

TO BECOME said...

I hate to think that I have missed out on any of the "nudges" that God has given to me yet, I know that I have. They have always brought me great blessing, even though, I started out thinking I was trying to be a blessing to someone else. God is so wise. He know just what we need, and when we need. it. Loved the post, thank you for sharing it with us. love you too, connie

Abounding Treasures said...

Michele,

I'm glad I obeyed because the visit with her was a blessing to me :o)

***

Elizabeth,

Thanks for visiting my blog and sharing such and encouraging and inspiring happening from your own experience!

***

Miss Jen,

Amen! And to think I might have missed it ...

***

Mrs. Rabe,

That it was :o)

Her face just radiated and whole demeanour just radiated joy in the Lord the whole time she spoke with me!

***

Connie,

Thanks so much! I know just what you mean!

Initially thought maybe He sent me to her room to be used to bless her in some way and I left having *been blessed by her* ~ He knew what we BOTH needed at that moment :o)

~*~

Blessings to each of you,
Dallas

Anonymous said...

Hi Dallas ~

Sunday blessings to you ~ and thanks for sharing this encouraging story about listening to His voice! What a blessing for both of you!

Have a lovely week,
Sharon

Abounding Treasures said...

Sharon,

Hello to you too :o)

It was a blessing to both her and I!

Trust you are having a lovely week where you are ~ I am but it's just too warm to be really enjoying it as much as I'd like :o)

Dallas