When I picked her up at the airport, she gave me the bad news that her hearing aid had died about an hour before the plane landed :o(She was born almost 80 years ago, a typical, healthy child until she reached her 3rd birthday. In those days, childhood diseases as we know them hadn't been completely overpowered as they are now and she contracted diptheria and scarlet fever.
As afraid as her parents and grandparents were, once the ailments had run their course and she survived, they were thrilled!!
Unfortunately, their joy was shortlived because it was soon discovered that those 2 dreaded diseases had robbed her of her hearing ... almost completely, except for 20% hearing left in 1 ear!!
Fortunately, she learned to read lips as a child and even though we managed to communicate that way until we finally arrived at my place, she realized how difficult it was going to be if she had to wait very long in a deaf state, so I managed to find a place in town that would check out her hearing aid as soon as we got there.
Turns out the receptionist had a bit of extra training because after taking her hearing aid and checking it out back, she quickly realized what was wrong and came to the waiting room with a piece of tubing and some sort of *tool* and knelt down beside my mom. She then formed this tubing to my Mom's ear and the hearing aid and suddenly, she could hear again!
She was so excited and so thankful and asked this dear woman how much she owed her. The receptionist replied, "NO charge!"
We left that office feeling thankful and amazed at their generosity and helpfulness and only wish more businesses would act like that :o)It left me realizing how much I take for granted the fact that I can hear!
May I always be thankful for this amazing ability and never for a moment think it might last forever ...
Blessings,
9 comments:
So happy to hear everything turned out well and your moms hearing aid was repaired! I am sure it will be wonderful spending time together!
Kindly, ldh
That is SO touching!!! :)
What a beautiful story.
God is so faithful to us
in each situation we encounter!!
I am so happy your mommy arrived
safely and hope you have a wonderfully
blessed time together.
Love in Christ~ Miss Jen
Dallas,
What an amazing story and what kindness and favor shown to you mom and to you for changing the tubing without charge! God is good!
I pray that you and your mother will have a memorable visit.
Miriam
Praise the LORD for the care you were given and Free...how thoughtful!
I as I'm aging have lost quite a bit of my hearing...very frustrating at times...I should have a hearing aid of some sort...but try to get by for now.
A touching story about your mom's childhood...bless her heart.
Give her a hug ...
HOPE~
Mrs H,
Thanks - we are so thankful too and I'm sure it'll be a great visit.
***
Jen,
Thanks so much :o)
***
Miriam,
The Lord is always so gracious and I am humbled by His care!
***
Hope,
We saw pix of SO many different kinds of hearing aids and you may well be helped by one of those tiny ones that just fits into the ear canal and you can't even see it from the *outside*.
~*~
Blessings to each of you and if it is ever brought across your mind, prayer would be appreciated for her because even after the 31 years since I was saved, she shows NO interest at all in the wondrous message of the gospel.
In His Name,
Dallas
Hi Dallas,
I'm thankful that your mother arrived safely, and was able to get help with her hearing aid. That was so kind of the woman to help her without charging her. You are right, we should never take our hearing for granted, and always be thankful. I hope you have a lovely visit with her.
(I had scarlet fever, along with my mother, when I was seventeen in 1972. We were so shocked to find out that was what we had. We never did find out how we contracted it.)
Susan,
Wow! I didn't realize people were still contracting scarlet fever that late! Glad that both you and your Mom recovered well :o)
Blessings,
Dallas
How wonderful that the right person was there at the right time with the right solution (& even the right price...FREE!)
God is so good!!! His timing is always RIGHT!
Blessings to you both, as you enjoy your time together!
Susan
Amen Susan! His timing IS always right :o)
Blessings,
Dallas
Post a Comment