Monday, June 29, 2009

Tucking the Little Ones In

Bessie Pease Gutman

"The clocks were striking midnight,
and the rooms were very still,
as a figure glided quietly from bed to bed,
smoothing a coverlid here,
settling a pillow there,
and pausing to look long and tenderly
at each unconscious face,
to kiss each with lips that mutely blessed,
and to pray the fervent prayers
which only mothers utter.


~ Louisa May Alcott from Little Women, 1868 ~

As I read this quote from a little 2nd hand treasure that I recently bought, so many similar scenes danced across my mind as memories flooded in . . . of times that I tiptoed into dim, quiet rooms and stood transfixed by the soft breathing of sleeping children, nestled safely in their beds.

I would stand by their beds and listen, knowing all the while that those days would all too soon be memories as time passed and their lives moved on.

After a time of silently praying for them, I would smooth the covers and their tender brows, then plant kisses on soft, warm cheeks, tiptoe out and gently close the door.

I'm sure many of you have similar memories that keep you company when you are in a reminiscent mood such as can be brought on by a quote such as this :o)

Blessings,

7 comments:

susansspace said...

Oh yes, those were very special days! Now, even the grandchildren are nearly grown. It is sweet to recall all the tender moments, though.
Loved the Gutmann picture you used! I have several framed prints of her 'children' on my wall, but not this one.
Have a blessed week!
Susan

Dee said...

Oh, i do, i do, have these memories. They are forever in my heart. I really like your blog background, it goes so well with your writing style and the pictures you choose. Dee

Susan B said...

Hi Dallas,
I know what you mean, I remember doing the same thing when my daughters were small. Their sweet faces brought such joy to my heart. A lovely quote from "Little Women." This book is one of my favorites from childhood. I still read it...such a timeless story. Thank you for sharing.

Mrs. E said...

What beautiful memories indeed! :)
Love the Little Women excerpt too!

Blessings~ Jenny

Abounding Treasures said...

Jenny,

One day, Lord willing, you'll have similar memories to enjoy :o)

***

Susan, Dee, Susan,

Isn't it wonderful that we have our memories intact, something to be thankful for and NOT to take for granted ...

Remembrances of those precious days gone by warm our hearts as we reminisce and it's wonderful to be able to share that with each of us :o)

Blessings,
Dallas

sarah said...

Praise God for precious memories such as this.

They are a gift from God,

Our Lord Jesus loves us even more than a mother can love her children, how can we comprehend that kind of love?

Abounding Treasures said...

Sarah,

Precious memories indeed :o)

As you say, the love the Lord Jesus has for me / us, is more than my little mind can comprehend ... I just thank Him for the amazing fact that it is FOREVER!

Blessings to you,
Dallas