
White + Pink Roses by Friedrich Strauss
"Housekeeping requires knowledge and intelligence ... the kind that is complex not simple, and combines intellect, intuition and feelings. You need a memory good enough to remember *how* things are done, where things are, what the daily routine requires, what everyone in the home is up to as it affects the housekeeping, the state of supplies, budget and bills.
You have to be able to decipher insurance policies, contracts and warranties, manage a budget and master the technical language of instruction manuals for appliances and computers.
The ability to split your attention in several ways and stay calm is essential. You need to exercise creative intelligence to solve problems and devise solutions: efficiency measures that save money or time; pyschological or social measures to improve co-operation; steps to improve physical comfort; analyses of why and how some routines break down.
Housekeeping comprises the ability to find, evaluate and use information about nutrition, cooking, chemistry and biology, health, comfort, laundry, cleaning and safety.
Above all, housekeeping must be intelligent so that it can be empathetic, for empathy is the form of intelligence that creates the feeling of home.
Good housekeepers know intuitively what needs to be done in their homes because they know how their homes make people feel."
~ Cheryl Mendelson ~
[HOME COMFORTS: The Art & Science of Keeping House]
9 comments:
WOW is this good, Dallas..
the feminists have gotten it so WRONG...and well as all of TV..
Great post..
Deby
I SO agree!
Very well said. I especially love that last line!
Wow! Well said! No more of that "I'm just a homemaker". (Not that I feel that way myself, I don't.) Just the other day a lawyer asked me what my daughter wanted to be/do now that she is graduating from high school. I told him she wants to be a homemaker, wife and mother. He just stared at me with a blank look. He just didn't get it.
God's ways are not the ways of the world.
So, Yay for homemakers!
Gloria
Very true! Isn't this a wonderful book? Not one to read cover-to-cover but I'm glad I have my copy on hand ready for whenever I need it. (o:
WOW...my homemaking abilities just took to new heights!
Thanks..enjoyed this!
HOPE
Deby,
You're right on that score!
***
Tracy & Lori,
The writer is a lawyer who thinks that homemaking is far more interesting and far less monotonous :o)
***
Gloria,
I can just imagine the look on that lawyer's face ~ he's not the only one who doesn't *get it*!! Hurray for your daughter that she has learned an appreciation for what the Lord wants :o)
***
Michele,
It is a fantastic sourcebook and I love so many of the quotes in the early sections :o)
~*~
Blessings to each of you,
Dallas
I've often wondered what was in this book - thank you for sharing a wee bit of it. The words are so true and are an excellent reminder of what we're to include in our 'position title'. :o) I'm going to read your post again. :o)
Miriam,
I know exactly what you mean!
***
Lady Jane,
Yes, it certainly does give a fuller picture of what every homemaker does :o)
~*~
Blessings to both of you,
Dallas
Post a Comment