Monday, January 26, 2009

Secret of Happy Home Life

Winter Moon by Bill Saunders

Home
is among the holiest of words.

A true home is one of the most sacred of places.

It is a sanctuary into which men flee from the
world's perils and alarms. It is a resting place to
which at close of day the weary retire to gather
new strength for the battle and toils of tomorrow.

It is the place . . .

  • where love learns its lessons;
  • where life is schooled into discipline and strength;
  • where character is molded.
What are some of the secrets of happy home life?

The answer might be given in one word: Christ.

  • Christ at the marriage altar;
  • Christ on the bridal journey;
  • Christ when the new home is set up;
  • Christ when the baby is born;
  • Christ when a child dies;
  • Christ in the pinching times;
  • Christ in the days of plenty;
  • Christ in the nursery, in the kitchen, in the parlor;
  • Christ in the toil and in the rest;
  • Christ along all the years.

Christ is the secret of happy home life!

~ JR Miller, also author of Home Making, 1882 ~

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dallas,
What a timely post.
When we let life's worries cloud our focus instead of Christ being the focus it puts everything so out of order.
May I write this down in my journal? I like to gather quotes to put along with scripture.
I love the picture, too. I love art!
Blessings,
Miriam

Lois Christensen said...

I agree! Christ needs to be at the center for a happy home and life. Love the picture you included as well!

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

Amen!!!

Abounding Treasures said...

Miriam,

Be my guest -- the author is well-known as having written HOME MAKING in 1882 and I have set it up now that when you CLICK on his name at the bottom of the quote, you'll be taken to where virtually ALL of his writings are available online :o)

***

Walking on Sunshine,

I love the art of Bill Saunders, the artist :o)

~*~

Blessings to both of you,
Dallas

susansspace said...

I too, would like to copy this for my notebook, (if that's okay) & will be sure to check out HOME MAKING in 1882.
Thanks for sharing this timely post!
Susan

Abounding Treasures said...

Mrs Rabe,

:o)

***

Susan,

Be my guest ~ you've probably heard of JR Miller before ... he wrote all sorts of books on the home and family and if you click on his name at the bottom of the quote, you'll be taken to a site where volunteers have transcribed virtually ALL his works :o)

~*~

Blessings to each of you,
Dallas

Susan B said...

This is such a wonderful quote, and so, so true! I enjoy JR Miller's writings. I have "Homemaking," and have enjoyed it very much. The picture you used is lovely too.

the voice of melody said...

What a great quote! I agree, our lives would be empty and meaningless without Christ. How glad I am to have Him in my life, in my family, and home!

Abounding Treasures said...

Susan,

As soon as I read it, I knew I had to post it and I love the art of Bill Saunders :o)

I used to want to get JR Miller's book that you refer to but then I found it online!

***

Melody,

Amen! I couldn't have said it any better :o)

~*~

Blessings to both of you,
Dallas

Anonymous said...

I am so thankful for my Christ-Centered life on this earth. God bless you, Dallas.
Bren

Anonymous said...

Dear Dallas ~

Thank you for sharing this with us! I have heard of that book ~ so I will look forward to checking it out online. I, too, love the picture you posted.

I hope you are enjoying a lovely week so far!

Blessings,
Sharon

Abounding Treasures said...

Bren,

So am I :o)

May the Lord bless you too as you live your life for His glory!

***

Sharon,

You're welcome! I was thrilled when I found it online because it's not the easiest book to track down otherwise :o)

I love Bill Saunder's paintings!

~*~

Blessings to each of you,
Dallas

Kathy Butryn said...

This is a beautiful post...full of truth that we need to hold dear!

sherry said...

So often we allow Christ entrance to our foyer but not in our living space. Your post is a loving exhortation to allow Him complete and unconditional ownership of our lives in their entirety.

<><

~~Deby said...

oh this is good....REAL good...
what saddens me...these days is NO one is home....everyone is gone all day, they re-group around a screen in the evening to start all over again.....I love being a stay at home wife and I am so thankful for the priviledge, I know not all women can do it because of situations out of their control.
Deby

Abounding Treasures said...

Kathy,

Welcome :o) Amen ~ full of wonderful truths that we need to hold dear!

***

Lady Jane,

Oh! I love how you put that ~ beautiful and so very true :o)

~*~

Blessings to both of you,
Dallas

Abounding Treasures said...

Deby,

That is true of most homes and is very sad.

Like you, I'm thankful for the priviledge of being a homemaker.

I know personal situations sometimes render it difficult for some who would love to and I know there are those, even Christians, who have no interest in doing so!

Blessings,
Dallas

Paula said...

Dear Dallas,
Thank you for sharing this beautiful excerpt. I love JR Miller and Home Making is one of my favorite books! Yes, Christ is truly the secret of a happy home life!!! I am so thankful for Him!!!!

The homemade cards you have been making are just beautiful! Thank you for the inspiration!

Oh yes, we are blessed with a great deal of songbirds here. I think living by the lake and being in the country has a lot to do with it. We are very thankful to enjoy such a lovely part of God's beautiful creation at our feeders everyday!
Love, Paula

How are you doing? You are in my prayers!

Abounding Treasures said...

Paula,

Home Making was a book that I wanted to buy but when I found it online, completely transcribed, I was happy!

Thanks for your encouraging comments about my hand-made cards :o)

You are very blessed with where you live and to be able to see all those lovely birds is wonderful.

Have a wonderful weekend,
Dallas