A warm and cozy Wednesday to everyone! We've been experiencing the longest spell of icy cold temperatures we've had in over 20 years!The forecast for our area tonight is for about 4 inches of snow then freezing rain which is supposed to change over to *plain* rain ~ so it promises to be make driving a bigger challenge than usual :o)
I've got about 10 inches of rows done on my daughter's afghan and I try to work on it a little here and there when I have a few minutes so that it's done leisurely.
After being inspired by Sharon at The Shepherds House, I finally decided Saturday afternoon to try my hand at creating some hand made cards and thoroughly enjoyed it!!
Here are all the ones I've made so far . . .
My daughter phoned Monday and after I told her about them,
she said she would be thrilled if I could make her some
*Thank You* and *Thinking of You* cards :o)
When I told her that would be difficult for me to do
because I love florals and pastels and she doesn't ---
she suggested that I try a few with a *modern* look
and the ones below were the result of that suggestion . . .
My daughter phoned Monday and after I told her about them,she said she would be thrilled if I could make her some
*Thank You* and *Thinking of You* cards :o)
When I told her that would be difficult for me to do
because I love florals and pastels and she doesn't ---
she suggested that I try a few with a *modern* look
and the ones below were the result of that suggestion . . .
Whenever I use dark card stock,
I've decided to make a light coloured inner lining
so the handwriting is easier to read.
You can see it inside the bottom card
which is laying flat
simply because I haven't yet glued on the bow :o)
Any suggestions as to the most effective way
of attaching a bow to the card
would be most welcome!
I've decided to make a light coloured inner lining
so the handwriting is easier to read.
You can see it inside the bottom card
which is laying flat
simply because I haven't yet glued on the bow :o)
Any suggestions as to the most effective way
of attaching a bow to the card
would be most welcome!
Not only will these come in handy for any upcoming special occasions, but I'm aving a ball making them and with time, hopefully I'll come up with new ideas and more intricate designs.
With the bits and pieces of scraps left over after each card is made, I'm planning on making special bookmarks which I'll be able to pop into cards or letters as little gifts that can travel anywhere and hopefully brighten someone's day :o)
Blessings,


17 comments:
Oh, I just love these!!! You have done an amazing job. What a blessing they will be to those you send them to. I am looking forward to seeing your bookmarks too!
Great to visit here today,
Have a great day,
kathy
Both sets of cards (floral and modern) are lovely! You've done a very nice job.
Those are really beautiful. I love scrapbooking, but haven't made any cards yet. I'd like to try it one day. I think your daughter will be pleased with her cards.
~Kristi
A sweet friend recently gave me a thoughtful gift:
a handmade gift bag with 4 lovingly crafted notecards, very similar to the ones you shared on your blog post.
Wow!
Dear Dallas ~
I absolutely love your cards ~ you did a wonderful job on them!! I so enjoy seeing the creativity of others ~ you have inspired me! :)
I love the idea of using the bits and pieces left over to make bookmarks ~ that would be a great addition to brighten up someone's day! I'm so glad you shared these!
I hope you are keeping warm and cozy with the cold weather you've been having!
Sweet blessings to you,
Sharon
They're Amazing, Dallas!
They are beautiful! I loved Sharon's, too.
I am with you. I prefer pastels, but occassionaly I have used darker colors.
Although, I haven't done them in awhile. I need to restock up on supplies. I try to find the frugal deals on them.
I prefer handmade cards and seeing it becoming more of a trend now. It is hard to find store bought cards that have words that even come close to the words you want to say.
As far as your question, there is a blog with another very talented lady named Kelli at "There is no place like home"
http://kellishouse.blogspot.com/
She makes a lot of beautiful cards.
I am glad you got to work on the afghan for your daughter.
Blessings to you,
Miriam :)
Good job on all those homemade cards! Very Pretty. The weather that you are getting tonight is what we (WV) currently have. We started out with snow, then turned to rain/sleet and now it's snowing again. Everything is a sheet of ice.
Stay warm and take advantage of days like this. It's a good day to do some crafting!
Brenda
Oh Dallas, your cards are *lovely*! I've been wanting to try my hand at card making but have felt intimidated by it. I also don't have a lot of different papers and such so I wasn't sure if I could make them pretty enough. But sometimes simplicity is *lovely* too so perhaps I should try anyway.
I like both styles of cards that you made. (o:
Blessings....
Dallas,
All your cards came out so pretty! I'm sure your daughter will be pleased with what you have done.
Loved your handmade cards, Dallas!
You've inspired me. I have some ladies from church coming over on Saturday evening for a 'Crafts Get-together', & I think we'll make some greeting cards, or maybe Valentines.
Blessings,
Susan
I am so ready to get back crafting and I have been a cardmaker for years Dallas..these are gorgeous...now maybe after this *bug* lifts a tad more I will get the room in order (see post tomorrow)...you did such a great job.
Deby
Kathy,
Thanks! I had fun :o)
When I figure out how to make the bookmarks, I'll show a few.
***
Lady Laura,
Thanks for the words of encouragement!
***
Kristi,
I am intimidated by scrapbooking so if you can do that, you'll find making cards SO EASY :o)
***
Lady Jane,
What a marvellous idea you've given me! I don't know about the handmade gift bag though ~ I'd probably buy those little ones at the dollar stores :o)
***
Sharon,
Thanks for posting your own cards so that I was encouraged to give it a try!
We are staying very warm -- I had my portable heater on all afternoon while I was *creating*!
Not sure yet what the bookmarks will look like but they'll come in handy.
***
Miriam,
I find that Wal-Mart doesn't have inexpensive pastel card stock so I bought a pad of 32 that are different shades on each side and are 6"x12" so I can get 1 regular and 1 little card from each one.
I use pastel papers to cover the top and go from there as the darker colours look great with my preferred florals too :o)
I'm with you on *frugal deals*!!
***
Brenda,
It was a great day to do crafting as I had most of my laundry done, everything prepared for supper and my portable heater on :o)
The storm has begun so it'll be interesting to see if we get just what they're forecasting!
***
Michele,
I was intimidated too! I realized the worst that could happen was that I'd waste a few papers and such so I took the plunge and had too much fun!
Go to your nearest Dollar type store and stock up on whatever suits your fancy and go from there!
You'll love it :o)
***
Susan B,
Thanks for your words on encouragement!
***
Susan,
Have fun on Saturday! I know all of you will enjoy making the cards :o)
~*~
Blessings to each of you dear ladies for taking the time to comment on my little creations!
~ Dallas
Thanks Deby for those words of encouragement from a seasoned card maker!
I look forward to your post tomorrow by the way :o)
Blessings!
Mrs.D,
What BEAUTIFUL cards!! ;)
Isn't fun to do crafty things?!
Blessings~Miss Jen
It most definitely is, Miss Jen :o)
Blessings,
Dallas
Hello from also snow-white winter-Finland!
With regard to your question about attaching bows (or anything to cards) the most effective method I've come across is special narrow two-sided crafting tape sold in places where scrapbooking materials are in stock. I only found it recently, it's totally clear and very sticky indeed. I use it to attach paper, ribbons and all kinds of decorations to cardstock. Glue makes cardstock bend, the tape doesn't. Yours are so perfect that You probably used tape to begin with!
Greetings and blessings.
Kirsti
Kirsti,
Thanks for the idea ~ I'll have to look for this clear, thin, 2 sided crafting tape and use it for ribbon, bows, etc.
I did use double sided mounting squares for attaching all paper to the card stock and I LOVE it because as you mention, it keeps the card laying absolutely flat.
Thanks so much for visiting and taking the time to leave a sweet comment :o)
Blessings,
Dallas
Post a Comment