Wednesday, December 3, 2008

The Mother & Homemaker

My days are days of small affairs
Of trifling worries, little cares --
A lunch to pack, a bed to make,
A room to sweep, a pie to bake,
A hurt to kiss, a tear to dry,
A head to brush, a bow to tie,
A face to wash, a rent to mend,
A meal to plan, a fuss to end,
A hungry husband to be fed ---
A sleepy child to put to bed.

I, who had hoped someday to gain
Success -- perhaps a bit of fame,
Must give myself to small affairs,
Of trifling worries, little cares.

But, should tomorrow bring a change,
My little house grow still and strange ---
Should all the cares I know today
Be swept, quite suddenly away,
Where now a hundred duties press
Be but an ache of loneliness,
No child's gay ribbon to be tied,
No wayward little feet to guide;
To Heaven then would I rise my prayers ---
"Oh God, give me back my little cares."

~ Author Unknown ~

Jesus Loves Me by Kathryn Fincher

I am now in that period of my life where my children are grown and 2 of them are on their own and I have 2 tiny grandsons.

This is a poem that I had written down while our children were all young and read many times, reminding myself that those wonderful, hectic, busy, amazing days of little feet running around the house and little hearts to guide, would be over sooner than I realized and that I should treasure every single moment.

I wish I could say that I always did, but alas, there were times that I complained and times that I was frustrated and tired.

Thankfully, there were more times that I was amazed, filled with wonder, overjoyed and humbled to be a part of something that has eternal results!

13 comments:

Kristi said...

Wonderful, precious poem. And oh, so true. I have three children. The oldest 16, the youngest 8. Of course my 16 year old still needs me, but not near as much as the 8 year old. *sigh*

I wouldn't want to stop time, but I do wish we had a pause button from time to time.

~Kristi

NanaNor's said...

Loved this-and your new header.
Isn't it wonderful to think back on little ones and now just be able to enjoy this season-with little ones visiting.
Blessings to you today!
Noreen

Lady Laura said...

That's the wonderful thing about this life with which we've been blessed, we live it in different stages, or phases, or whatever term you choose to use.

I was adrift for a little while when my (only) child became an adult and started his own life (as well he should). But then, like you I became a GrandMother and I have never known such JOY!!!

He's growing up by leaps and bounds and one day soon won't need a spoiling grandmother hovering over him. But like the Alan Jackson song (Remember When) "I won't be sad. I'll be glad for all the time we had". And I'll look forward to the next stage/phase/whatever that the Lord has planned for me.

Life just keeps getting better and better, doesn't it?

Tracy said...

I love your winter look. What a wonderful poem for mothers of all ages and seasons!

Anonymous said...

Dallas, thank you for sharing this Mother's poem. I remember reading it when mine were little. Now one is grown and on her own. We have one still at home for just 2 short years before he sets out on his own.
They grow so fast. I know that has been said many times before. I definitely would have kissed those sweet cheeks even more.
Miriam :)

Anonymous said...

Lovely little poem that brings back many memories . . . also enjoyed your illustrations. The one reminded me of a story book that I read to my youngest, called "Seven Little Rabbits" walkin' down the road . . . walkin' down the road . . . Seven little rabbits walkin' down the road to call on old friend toad. One little rabbit said he was tired, walking down the road . . . and it goes on, a delightful beautifully illustrated little bedtime story. Thanks for the memories and

Blessings!

the voice of melody said...

This poem is so beautiful, thank you for sharing it! My little boy is growing up much too fast already and I know I'll be missing this special time when he's all grown up.

Many sweet blessings!

Susan B said...

What a beautiufl post, Dallas. And how true it is. It is important to treasure the time with our children as they are growing up, because it happens so quickly! Though living our daily routines makes it hard to remember that sometimes. I have many wonderful memories of my children when they were young that I cherish. Thank you for sharing.

Abounding Treasures said...

Kristi,

I know what you mean about not wanting to stop time when they are young, but a pause button would be nice from time to time :o)

***

Noreen,

I love Thomas Kinkade's work and this was always a favourite!

I've got another sweet poem that talks about little grandchildren visiting, leaving and what Grandma is thinking when all is quiet that I'm going to post later -- I think you'll enjoy it!

***

Lady Laura,

Amen! Thanks for sharing a glimpse of your own life then and especially, now! It was wonderful to have a little glimpse :o)

***

Tracy,

Thanks and Thanks :o)

I love your description of this beautiful poem being for *mothers of all ages and seasons* :o)

***

Miriam,

So would I have :o)

~*~

Caryn,

It is lovely and I'm glad I was able to prod some beautiful old memories for you :o)

***

Brenda,

It is a beautiful poem ~ it always touched a chord in my heart many years ago!

***

Melody,

Enjoy every moment because they all pass by so quickly ...

~*~

With regard to what most have said, have any of you read Karen Kingsbury's childrens/parents' book called *Let Me Hold You Longer*?

It covers all the *lasts* rather than the typical *firsts* ...

I'd love to get it someday because as Tracy put it, *It's definitely for mothers or grandmothers of all ages and seasons*!!

Blessings to all of you,
Dallas

Charlene said...

What a precious poem. Thank you for sharing that. And oh how we don't know what we should know during those times. WE WILL MISS THIS! But, see we get to start over in a different but, similar role once the GRANDS start arriving. Now you know!!!! Use your widom & enjoy.

Abounding Treasures said...

Susan,

I am so glad that this poem has resonated in the hearts of so many of my dear blog friends!

***

Charlene,

It's delightful that we get a 2nd chance with our grandchildren, especially when they live close enough that we can see them often!

~*~

I am thankful that more often than not, I remembered the words of this poem and don't have as many regrets as I might have had I not read it way back when :o)

Blessings to each of you,
Dallas

HOPE said...

How precious.

I too have thought upon times I grumbled...and then one of my daughters..now grown and with children..said, Mom..I remember this and I remember that, those are the memories of you I cherish.

I needed those words..such comfort.

How thankful I am for the priviledge of being a MOM...and now Nana.

Another..."Season" ;)

thank you for sharing this sweet post Dallas.

HOPE

Abounding Treasures said...

Hope,

Yes, we can be encouraged that the things that bother us are NOT the things that are children remember or cherish about us :o)

Blessings!
Dallas