Monday, December 15, 2008

Her True Career

Homecoming by Jennie Augusta Brownscombe

One expression in Titus 2 deserves special notice.


It is the word homemakers.
The Greek word is oikourgous,
which literally means “workers at home.”

Oikos
is the Greek word for “home,”
and ergon means “work, employment.”

It suggests that a married woman’s first duty
is to her own family,

in her own household.

Managing her own home
should be her primary employment,

her first task,
her most important job,
and her true career.


~ John MacArthur ~


12 comments:

TO BECOME said...

This has been all that I ever wanted to do be a good wife and homemaker. God has truly blessed me by giving me a fine husband and children to teach to love Him and riase to be Godly. I hope and pray that I have done my very best. Thank you, connie

susansspace said...

Love your art pics! They are eye candy.
Also, have noticed your quotes from John MacArthur. His understanding & explaination of the Scriptures are some of the best available! My husband uses his teaching materials in expository (Bible study group) teaching.
Hope you are having a good week!

Abounding Treasures said...

Connie,

I'm sure if we were to ask your dear husband and children that they would agree that you had :o)

I feel the same way about my husband and children!

***

Susan,

I love finding new artists whose works affect me in a special way!

Because our anniversary is coming up, I searched for quotes on marriage and husbands/wives and John MacArthur seemed to have a lot ... they are not subjects that many make a stand about, especially in quotes, so I was happy to find such excellent ones!

~*~

Blessings to each of you,
Dallas

Anonymous said...

Dear Dallas,

Amen! What a blessing it is!

I hope you have a wonderful week!

Blessings,
Sharon

Abounding Treasures said...

Sharon,

I couldn't agree with you more!

So far, I am :o)

Cathryn said...

Hey There, It is your blog that led me to Snapshots of Joy. I clicked on that lovely pic at the bottom of your blog to see if it would take me to its origin and bam it worked. :) Anyways, yes, her work is so beautiful. Blessings ~ Cathryn

Susan B said...

What a great quote Dallas. I totally agree. I also enjoy the pictures you have been using. Thank you.

Abounding Treasures said...

Cathryn,

That's too funny :o)

***

Susan,

I'm glad that you're enjoying the pictures I've been using ... I love finding *new-to-me* artists whose art delights me and I save them :o)

~*~

Blessings,
Dallas

Anonymous said...

Your post is outstanding! Taking the time to study these important words in the original languages can really enhance our study. So often we are "stuck" in the twenty-first century not realizing what we are missing. Being keeper of a home is an awesome, blessed responsibility, our children precious gifts of God and our husbands beloved forever. Your illustrations were choice!

Thank you again, Dallas!

Anonymous said...

Dallas,
I love the John MacArthur, A.W. Tozer, and John Newton quotes.
Which MacArthur book are you getting his quotes from?
I love the pictures too! How do find them?
Your quotes have touched my heart.
Miriam :)

Kristi said...

This is a really good and simple breakdown of the Titus 2 woman. I wish more women would take the Bible to heart concerning these verses.

~Kristi

Abounding Treasures said...

Caryn,

Thanks for much for your kind words!

***

Miriam,

I am not getting MacArthur's quotes from any book but from a site online that I found ~ I have no idea about the other part of the site but the quote section is very handy and filled with so many good ones!

http://www.thegracetabernacle.org/quotes/

***

Kristi,

Amen! Even today in big cities or small towns, it IS possible!

*~*

Blessings to each of you and please accept my apologies for taking longer than I expected to respond to your comments :o)

Dallas