Thursday, December 11, 2008

Actions Speak Loudly


"What you are speaks so loudly,
I can't hear what you say"

Last evening Caryn's post at verycalm touched my heart in a very direct way because of something that happened earlier that day.

I am a member of a small support group for those who have friends or family living with mental health problems and had occasion to invite the ladies over to my home yesterday mid-morning to put together 20 gift bags.

These were large cloth bags with handles that we filled with all sorts of wonderful, needful items as a way of saying Merry Christmas to those with very limited financial means and no family support of any kind, at what is often a very difficult time of the year.

I'm not sure about the rest of you, but I am not used to praying aloud in front of virtual strangers!

Although I had previously had the opportunity of sharing with only one of them that I was a Christian, I knew that *I needed to start the way I meant to finish*, which in this case meant giving thanks aloud for the food in front of these dear unsaved [as far as I am aware] ladies.

I asked the Lord to help me not be nervous and used the opportunity to pray for Him to bless our getting together as well as the recipients of the gift bags :o)

I am happy that now all of these dear ladies understand me a little more and have at least a little glimpse of what is important to me.

I hope I'm less nervous next time :o)




Thanks to Deby, I now have the correct wording for this quote :o)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you! I know it's not always easy to make your self stand out from the world.

Nancy M. said...

The gift bags sound precious! I can imagine they will be so pleased with your ladies efforts.
I dont mind praying in front of others but I do want my words to be careful and pleasing as in the sweet
verse above!
Thank you for sharing.

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

My husband has had bipolar symptoms since his teen years and he is sixty-one now.

Most of the time I deal with it fine but there are also those periods of frustration, especially when he "just doesn't get it" when I'm trying to explain he is WRONG. Sigh.

However, most of the time God gives wisdom. When he went on Disability (after being an engineer for years), they didn't know how to deal with us. They hadn't had anyone bipolar and still married for years.

Polly & Steve said...

Great Job! Our Father is always with us and gives us what we need to give others.
Hugs
Polly

Abounding Treasures said...

Michele,

I think the reason I was nervous was because up until that point, only 1 of them knew that I was a Christian.

Not only was I giving thanks for the food, but I was taking a public stand with my Lord ... which should have brought more joy than nervousness, so I know I have a long way to go ...

***

Nancy,

The bags were great and I trust these dear ones will enjoy them!

I pray someday to be less nervous when praying in front of the unsaved and virtual strangers ...

***

Brenda,

I can well understand there being periods of frustration ... my son still at home was diagnosed about 18 months ago with mental illness and now that his meds have eliminated most of the symptoms, things are much better most of the time.

I'm sure you realize it's the Lord helping you daily to deal with this ... fortunately He promises to never give us more than we can handle WITH Him at our side every step of the way :o)

***

Polly,

Amen! Thanks for those wonderful words of encouragement :o)

~*~

Blessings to each of you,
Dallas

~~Deby said...

Oh Dallas I am glad that the Lord got you through this, next time it will be easier and the next time easier after that....I will pray that what you said will bear fruit in someone who was there....that maybe even just one word struck a chord in their heart...
I really believe God honors and blesses us for things like that...
Deby

~~Deby said...

I have also heard that saying said this way, which is a favorite of mine...
"What you are speaks so loud, I can't hear what you say"

ouch..

Deby

Abounding Treasures said...

Deby,

Thanks for these words of encouragement!

Also, thanks for the correct rendering of that quote ... I couldn't remember :o)

Blessings!