Friday, November 21, 2008

Appointment With Winter

We had our 1st snowfall last night and although this photo was taken during the winter of 2006, with a possible 20-40 cm on forecast from tonight until tomorrow night, all indications are that nature will repeat itself ....

"We have an appointment with winter and we are ready. The wood is stacked with seasoned applewood and maple, the snow shovel leans at the back door, the shelves are jammed with supplies.

When the first innocent flakes drift down, we put out more soot and fill the bird feeders.

When the snow begins to come in all directions at once and the wind takes on a peculiar lonely cry we pile more wood on the fire and hang the old iron soup kettle over it, browning the pot roast in diced salt pork and onion.

As the blizzard increases, the old house seems to steady herself like a ship against a gale wind ... snow piles up against the windowpanes, sifts under the ancient sills, makes heaps of powdered pearl on the ancient oak floors. But the house is snug in the twilight of the snow and we sit by the fire and toast our toes feeling there is much to be said for winter after all."

~ from the book "STILLMEADOW ROAD" by Gladys Taber, 1959.

7 comments:

Nancy M. said...

I enjoyed the journey of your blog today with the past couple of posts!
Have a blessed Thanksgiving!

Abounding Treasures said...

Nancy,

Thanks for *popping in* and I'm so glad you enjoyed the past couple of posts :o)

Happy Thanksgiving to you ... in Canada we celebrated it mid October :o)

NanaNor's said...

Sounds like a great book to read. Although we've had a few light snowflakes we haven't had any deep snow yet. Have a great weekend.
Noreen

Abounding Treasures said...

Noreen,

Whether we'll actually receive what is forecast remains to be seen ... but I do wish we had our snow tires on already!

The day I was supposed to get them put on, the temps were up to 20 deg Celsius and people were walking around in shorts ~ early November!!

Have a delightful weekend,
Dallas

Cathryn said...

The browning of roast in the pop over the fire sounds so serene. When things get "mucky" (not a word) in life, I always tell the girls "Let's go back to Prince Edward Island." Aw - the serenity of that place. Your picture of Diane and Anne on your blog gives me a warm feeling. Nothing quite like Anne of Green Gables. Lord BLess, Cathy P.S. I've left you a lot of comments tonight - hope that is okay!

Charlene said...

WOW!!!!!!!!!!! I would say you go some snow!!!!!

Abounding Treasures said...

Cathryn/Cathy,

I appreciated each and every one of your comments ... they helped me to get to *know you* a little :o)

I love Gladys Taber's books about her home, known as *Stillmeadow*. I love the way she paints pictures with her choice of words!

Anne of Green Gables and Avonlea are 2 of my favourite periods and places in time, even fictional time :o)

I assume you've seen the AOGG mini series done in 1986 which was superb, as well as the long running TV show called *Road to Avonlea* which had a lot of the same people reprising their roles?

Have a wonderful week,
Dallas