The cheerful girl with bouncy golden curls was almost five. Waiting with her mother at the checkout stand, she saw them: circle of glistening white pearls in a pink foil box."Oh please, Mommy. Can I have them? Please, Mommy, please!"
Quickly the mother checked the back of the little foil box and then looked back into the pleading blue eyes of her little girl`s upturned face.
"A dollar ninety-five. That`s almost $2.00. If you really want them, I`ll think of some extra chores for you and in no time you can save enough money to buy them for yourself. Your birthday`s only a week away, and you might get another crisp dollar bill from Grandma."
As soon as Jenny got home, she emptied her penny bank and counted 17 pennies. After dinner, she did more than her share of chores,and she went to the neighbor and asked Mrs. McJames if she could pick dandelions for ten cents.
On her birthday, Grandma did give her another new dollar bill, and at last she had enough money to buy the necklace.
Jenny loved her pearls. They made her feel dressed up and grown up. She wore them everywhere -- Sunday school, kindergarten, even to bed! The only time she took them off was when she went swimming or had a bubble bath. Mother said if they got wet, they might turn her neck green.
Jenny had a very loving daddy and every night when she was ready for bed, he would stop whatever he was doing and come upstairs to read her a story.
One night when he finished the story, he asked Jenny, "Do you love me?"
"Oh yes, Daddy. You know that I love you."
"Then give me your pearls."
"Oh Daddy, not my pearls. But you can have Princess -- the white horse from my collection. The one with the pink tail. Remember, Daddy? The one you gave me. She`s my favorite."
"That's okay, Honey. Daddy loves you. "Good night." And he brushed her cheek with a kiss.
About a week later, after the story time, Jenny's daddy asked again, "Do you love me?"
"Daddy, you know I love you."
"Then give me your pearls."
"Oh Daddy, not my pearls. But you can have my baby doll. The brand new one I got for my birthday. She is so beautiful and you can have the yellow blanket that matches her sleeper."
"That's okay. Sleep well, little one. Daddy loves you." And as always, he brushed her cheek with a gentle kiss.
A few nights later when her daddy came in, Jenny was sitting on her bed with her legs crossed Indian style. As he came close, he noticed her chin was trembling and one silent tear rolled down her cheek.
"What is it, Jenny? What's the matter?"
Jenny didn't say anything but lifted her little hand up to her daddy. And when she opened it, there was her little pearl necklace.
With a little quiver, she finally said, "Here, Daddy. It's for you.
With tears gathering in his own eyes, Jenny's kind daddy reached out with one hand to take the dime store necklace, and with the other hand he reached into his pocket and pulled out a blue velvet case with a strand of genuine pearls and gave them to Jenny.He had them all the time.
He was just waiting for her to give up the dime store stuff so he could give her genuine treasure.
So like our heavenly Father! When we give over to Him the things we are holding onto in life, our reward is going to be so much greater!!
Let go of the problems, the possessions or the things that you are putting before Him! Give to Him what you are holding onto! In the end, your reward will be greater!
Your heavenly Father loves you incredibly!!
~ By Alice Gray as printed in *More Stories For the Heart* ~
13 comments:
Beautiful story.
Diane
This was great!
I've read this before but it was a delight to read again, thank you. (o:
gulp.
I love this story and it always touches my heart. Thank you for sharing it. connie
Diane, Tracy, Michele & mobunny,
I thought it was excellent and had it on my old website many years ago.
It spoke to my heart so I'm glad all of you were touched in some way by Alice Gray's message!
Blessings,
Dallas
Connie,
It really touched my heart too when I read it ... reminders are good, aren't they!? :o)
Blessings,
Dallas
I too have heard this but this is such a good lesson for us, for me...and a blessing..thank you,
~deby
Thank you Dallas.
mari
Deby & Mari,
Thanks for your kind comments ~ I'm glad that some have read this before and that others were affected by it, as I was, each time I read it :o)
Blessings,
Dallas
What a lovely story and one that touched my heart. Thank you.
I had never read that story before...beautiful
Lady Jane & Becoming Me,
I'm so glad that you both were touched by this story ~ I loved it the first time I read it several years ago.
Blessings to you both,
Dallas
Post a Comment