What power can steady that
fluttering, wayward, agitated thing: a human heart?
amidst rolling seas and howling winds
is to lash them to something fixed.
And the way to steady the heart is to bind it to God.
~ Alexander McLaren ~
Island View by Randy Van BeekThe following is one of my favourite hymns and explains
how my Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ is
my Anchor in every storm of life.
I pray that you would know Him too!
WE HAVE AN ANCHORWords: Priscilla J. Owens, 1882
Music: William J. Kirkpatrick
Will your anchor hold in the storms of life,
When the clouds unfold their wings of strife?
When the strong tides lift and the cables strain,
Will your anchor drift, or firm remain?
We have an anchor that keeps the soul
Steadfast and sure while the billows roll,
Fastened to the Rock which cannot move,
Grounded firm and deep in the Savior’s love.
It is safely moored, ’twill the storm withstand,
For ’tis well secured by the Savior’s hand;
And the cables, passed from His heart to mine,
Can defy that blast, thro’ strength divine.
We have an anchor that keeps the soul
Steadfast and sure while the billows roll,
Fastened to the Rock which cannot move,
Grounded firm and deep in the Savior’s love.
It will surely hold in the Straits of Fear—
When the breakers have told that the reef is near;
Though the tempest rave and the wild winds blow,
Not an angry wave shall our bark o’erflow.
We have an anchor that keeps the soul
Steadfast and sure while the billows roll,
Fastened to the Rock which cannot move,
Grounded firm and deep in the Savior’s love.
It will firmly hold in the Floods of Death—-
When the waters cold chill our latest breath,
On the rising tide it can never fail,
While our hopes abide within the Veil.
We have an anchor that keeps the soul
Steadfast and sure while the billows roll,
Fastened to the Rock which cannot move,
Grounded firm and deep in the Savior’s love.
When our eyes behold through the gath’ring night
The city of gold, our harbor bright,
We shall anchor fast by the heav’nly shore,
With the storms all past forevermore.
We have an anchor that keeps the soul
Steadfast and sure while the billows roll,
Fastened to the Rock which cannot move,
Grounded firm and deep in the Savior’s love.
Which hope we have as an anchor of the soul,both sure and stedfast,
and which entereth into that within the veil;
~ Hebrews 6:19 ~
If you CLICK on the TITLE of the HYMN, you can listen to the tune courtesy of the Cyber Hymnal site.

8 comments:
I just love hymns--they're so rich and full instead of being just 'fluff'. (o:
That is a beautiful post. The words to the hymn are wonderful. I did not know that hymn. Thanks for sharing it.
Michele,
I couldn't agree more :o)
Cathy,
It's one of my favourite hymns and I'm glad I was able to share it with you :o)
I love the picture that this hymn paints in my mind....I too am a lover of hymns...I find they bring such comfort and encouragement...and oft times the Lord will bring one to mind, at the perfect time...
~~Deby
Deby,
I treasure the picture that the quotes and the hymn paint for me ~ I am so thankful to be *fastened to the Rock that cannot move* and *grounded firm and deep in the Savior's love*!
All because of His wondrous grace!
May you enjoy a blessed Lord's Day,
Dallas
I love hymns too! I hadn't heard that one before ~ I'll have to look it up in our hymnals! Thank you for sharing!
Blessings,
Sharon
Sharon and others,
If you CLICK on the TITLE of this hymn, you'll hear the tune courtesy of the Cyber Hymnal site :o)
Blessings,
Dallas
Post a Comment