Malachi 3:3 says: "He will sit as a refiner and purifier of silver."
This verse puzzled some women who were studying the scriptures and they wondered what this statement meant about the character and nature of God.
One of the women offered to find out the process of refining silver and get back to the others the next time they met together.
That week, the woman called a silversmith and made an appointment to watch him at work. She didn't mention anything about the reason for her interest beyond her curiosity about the process of refining silver.
As she watched the silversmith, he held a piece of silver over the fire and let it heat up. He explained that in refining silver, one needed to hold the silver in the middle o f the fire where the flames were hottest in order to burn away all the impurities.
The woman thought about God holding us in such a hot spot and then she thought again about the verse that says: "He sits as a refiner and purifier of silver."
She asked the silversmith if it was true that he had to sit there in front of the fire the entire time.
The man answered that yes, he not only had to sit there holding the silver, but he had to keep his eyes on the silver the entire time it was in the fire. If the silver was left a moment too long in the flames, it would be destroyed.
The woman was silent for a moment. Then she asked the silversmith, "How do you know when the silver is fully refined?"
He smiled at her and answered, 'Oh, that's easy -- when I see my image in it.'
Previous to receiving this in an email the other day, I had very little idea of what refining silver was all about.
When I came to the end of this story, I was and am reminded of how the Lord is over every single aspect of my life and will keep refining until He sees Him image in me.



13 comments:
This is perfect for me today because I feel as if the flames are burning today and I keep reminding myself to trust God as He is in full control.
Dear Dallas,
Thank you for this wonderful post, and for sharing that story!!! How blessed we are that God does not leave us to be destroyed, but watches over us and is working on us, refining us, purifying us. I am so thankful for His grace in my life, and that He loves me enough, as you said, to keep refining me until He sees His image in me.
Just beautiful!!!!
The Lord bless you!
Paula
What a great post!
oh this is good Dallas....I loved the explaination, it sure makes the scripture come alive when you know the process...
thank you,
Deby
Wow, wonderful post and great picture!
Oh Sharon,
I read a little about your dear Carissa before I went to prayer mtg tonight and understand a little of the *fire* you are presently feeling.
My prayer is that both you and your husband, and especially your daughter, feel the Lord's everlasting arms *carrying you* ~ because this whole situation is more than you were ever meant to bear on your own!
* * *
Paula,
This little story really helped me understand that He won't leave me in the fire any longer than He needs to and that gives me great peace, this side of eternity!
* * *
Tracy,
Thanks! How wonderful for you and your family that you were able to spend an entire day with Mac :o)
* * *
Deby,
I know what you mean! When I read the explanation and came to the end ~ Wow! It really helped me to understand better how the Lord works in my life :o)
* * *
Victoria,
Thanks! I was really moved by this little illustration and thought perhaps others, like me, hadn't heard it either :o)
Trust you all have a wonderful Wednesday, for His glory!
Dallas
Dear Dallas,
What a lovely and encouraging story!
Thank you so much for sharing it with us!
May you have a blessed Wednesday,
Sharon
Sharon,
When I opened my email and read it, I was really touched because prior to that, I had no real understanding of what the refiner of silver does.
This story has given me a better understanding of how the Lord is careful when *refining* me and I am awed and amazed ...
Blessings,
Dallas
I knew the basic process but the bit about the silversmith having to stay with the silver to stop it burning up and then wait to see his image reflected in it is awesome!
Thank you for that post
Phoebe,
You are welcome :o)
I knew very little besides intense heat so when I read that the refiner sits there, watching carefully the *entire* time and stops *as soon as* he sees his image in the silver, I was awed by what the Lord does with an for us!
Have a wonderful day!
I pray the Lord can see His image reflected in me as I live my life. Thank you, connie from Texas
This has been a very encouraging post. Thank you Dallas for sharing it with us. The Lord loves us so much that He takes the time to put us through the fire so that He could see himself in us! Absolutely beautiful!!!
many blessings,
mari
Connie & Mari,
I'm so glad that I posted this even though I thought it might be a *repeat* for some readers!
It is so amazing that our God sits and watches us very carefully in the fire, not letting us remain one second longer than necessary, until He sees Himself in us ... it IS absolutely amazing!
Post a Comment