Some labour gathers to itself a light:
This I have found where, women, making bread,
Perform anew an ancient, simple rite
That men and little children may be fed.
Something about the handling of white flour
Is beautiful: the thought of sun on wheat -
The shining silver of a quick, late shower -
A great mill glimmering through the harvest heat -
And old as time- a fadeless picture still:
The gold of grain crushed fine beneath a stone -
Two women grinding at an ancient mill,
And one is taken - one is left alone -
Oh, always, somewhere - women have made bread
That men and little children might be fed.




10 comments:
oh some wonderful new sentiments...and the pictures ...yummmmm.....calories removed, of course :-)
Deby
Dear Dallas,
What a sweet poem and vintage image! Yes, I think that cinnamon buns can count as bread!
Thank you for the kind and encouraging comments on my blog! I appreciate you visiting me.
Your genealogical research must be so interesting. I hope you come across a family journal one day! I think you would do a wonderful job writing for future generations.
I have read about journals from long ago that simply recorded their daily doings, like baking cinnamon buns! I think we should just begin to write a little something in a journal each day, just as we do on our blogs! I like your suggestion about writing stories to compile for your memoirs.
Dallas you have so much to share, as I do, too. Just look at your heart transplant story. What a miracle! God is so faithful and loving! I was so blessed by your testimony. I praise Him that you are here today, here for your family, here to bless and encourage us through your writings and all those you encounter. It is a miracle you are here! Thank you for sharing your story and for glorifying the Lord!
The Lord bless you!
Have a happy home-keeping day!
Paula
Deby,
I know! The yummy fragrance of the yeasty dough was enough to make me gain a few pounds :o)
Your kitchen must have smelled wonderful! Isn't it such a joy to be able to make such treats for our loved ones?
Blessings to you today,
Sharon
Sharon,
It did smell wonderful and I always enjoy baking for my family :o)
Trust you have a simple day filled with moments of blessing :o)
Paula,
Thanks for stopping by!
My genealogy research, which I began in 1998, is so much fun and a lot like *detective work* ... I just love it.
You brought joy to my heart and tears to my eyes as I read your kind comments. The Lord has used your heart and *pen* to encourage and bless me today!
Thanks so much :o)
Dallas
The cinnamon buns looks mouth watering good. I can smell them if I try hard enough.
I loved the poem and the thought it held. I can't make bread very often any more unless the children are coming for a visit because Jim and I would get bigger than our house if I did. We both love bread more than is good for us.lol. I hope you are enjoying the great smells that your kitchen holds. connie from Texas
Connie,
Thanks for stopping by! My husband and I don't eat much homemade anything since we, too, would grow bigger than our house!
I bake when it's cooler during this time of year and then freeze it for later ... for ourselves, a gift, or whatever occasion arrives.
Have a great week!
Wonderful poem and the cinnamon rolls look great!
Theresa,
Glad you could stop by! Have a wonderful day with your family :o)
Post a Comment