Tuesday, June 24, 2008

A Labour of Love

We built our own home in 1987 with lots of help from my father-in-law, my husband's brothers and 1 of his brothers-in-law.

We moved into our new house around Thanksgiving, a very appropriate time because that's exactly how we felt toward the Lord, for we never expected to *own* our own home!

Our sons were almost 8 and almost 5 and my husband knew how much they would enjoy their own little place in the backyard to use as a fort or a place to have a sleep-out.
He used pieces of siding that were left from building our house
and added steps and some openings for windows.
Here's a different view showing how it's set near the woods.
This winter photo shows the size and shape better
since the trees are almost bare.
The boys thoroughly enjoyed it for a few years,
but it wasn't until their sister
was old enough to discover the playhouse,
that it was really put to use!

When she began using it, the two of us decorated the inside
and although I'm not a sewer,
I used several tea towels to fashion simple curtains
for the plexi-glass windows
that my husband had put in by that time.

Even when she reached the age where
*pretending with mommy*
was no longer interesting to her,
she still used it for many years, along with her friends.
Tea Party by Sandra Kuck

I have years of special memories
of my daughter and I having tea parties
in her little playhouse on rainy afternoons,
content to sit and chat and pretend ...

The little playhouse now holds our lawn mower during the winter
as well as a few other items that need storage,
but I will always treasure the memories
of the special times
my daughter and I spent there.

6 comments:

Lori said...

Dallas, Thanks for stopping by my blog. The pictures of the fort brings back memories of my childhood. We had an old pin in the corner of the backyard that was covered over with muscadine vines. Little did my parents know, we use to build a fire and pop popcorn back there. After we were all grown, we finally told the story of building the fires. My parents were shocked. Great memories were made there.

Anonymous said...

Dear Dallas,

What a lovely and heartwarming post! Your pictures are just beautiful and I love the way the Lord provided not only a home for you but a small play home to create even more special moments with your family. Such treasured memories ~ oh, where do the years go! My "baby" turned 11 years old today!!

Thank you so much for sharing!!

I do hope you have a lovely day!

Sharon

Anonymous said...

I loved your story!!!
I use to do tea parties too for my daughter when she was little, she has fond memories of that firmly placed in her mind.Everything you do for a child is so worth it.She is an adult now, and says she will do it for her child too, life goes in circles.
Take care,
Diane

Tracy said...

I've often wished for a playhouse for my girls(and boys!)

Victoria (Vii) said...

How wonderful to have so many precious memories! Looks delightful! Oh to be a child again!

Abounding Treasures said...

Lori,

So glad I helped bring back some childhood memories and I can well understand your parents being shocked, but as you say, you made wonderful memories there, still talked about today :o)
* * *
Sharon,

Where *do* the years go?! My *baby* will turn 19 next month!

Thanks for your sweet comments on not only the pix themselves but about the Lord blessing not only us with a home, but a place for the children to make memories :o)
* * *
Diane,

Tea parties were fun in my own childhood with my younger sister and they were especially memorable with my own daughter.

Your times with your daughter that created beautiful memories will be not only treasured but re-created in her own life and isn't that wonderful? As you say, everything you do for a child is worth it!!
* * *
Tracy,

They would have loved it or should I say, *still would*? :o)
* * *
Victoria,

It is very wonderful to have precious memories and childhood is wonderful ~ so many children want to grow up too soon, not realizing just how special childhood is!

Hope you all have a wonderful Wednesday!
Dallas