Thursday, June 26, 2008

I Am SO Excited :o)

I don't usually post twice in one day but I wanted to share my excitement in finally learning how to put a background in my Minima template and have it work! I've been working on it over the past several weeks but it's only caused frustration.

I was using Flickr for my background image and even though I did everything I was supposed to according to the blog background tutorial I was reading, the background didn't even show up.

Today I decided to upload my background image to Image Shack and although I have no idea what the difference was ~ it worked the first time, with no difficulty at all. I decided a new header was in order as well :o)

After a doctor's appointment for my middle son this morning, we had lunch and then headed over to visit an elderly friend who had just moved into a brand new seniors' complex.

The first musical event there took place today with a trio bringing their own portable electronic piano and they along with most of the residents and any visitors were able to sing gospel hymns. Afterwards he showed us his *new digs* [as he jokingly called them] and we had a good visit.

Before supper, I watered all my container plants and all the flowers and bleeding heart plants along the front of the house where the big maple tree overhangs and prevents any rain from reaching them.

I noticed that my container tomato plant has several flower buds and is growing nicely ~ which is great because I love fresh tomato sandwiches!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Dallas,

Your new header looks so lovely!! What pretty white blossoms! Isn't it so exciting to figure out how to do new things?
It sounds like you had a blessed day ~ so nice that you were able to visit your friend!

Have a lovely Friday,

Sharon

Abounding Treasures said...

Sharon,

Thanks for the kind words! It *is* very exciting to learn how to do new things especially when you've been trying on and off *for months* :o)

I had a delightful day yesterday ~ thanks!

Have a great day today!

Anonymous said...

As I said before your blog looks lovely! You know, I've *never* been able to figure out how to use Flickr. I use Image Shack for my backgrounds and it always works so well. (o:

Anonymous said...

Good Morning Dallas ~

Your new header is so crisp and fresh. Is it a spirea bush? We have one in our backyard. It was so pretty this spring. We too
have maple trees in our front yard and my husband is always working on getting the grass to stay nice under the trees, because of all the shade. But, oh how we do enjoy sitting on our front porch and having so much nice shade. It always feels degrees cooler when we walk into our front yard. Our backyard is not so shaded. It works better for our garden and the container plants. We do have a Colorado Blue Spruce that we planted many years ago and it is hugh.

I sure enjoy reading your posts!

Have a nice day!

Hugs ~
Teri

Black Cat said...

I love your background but I won't ask how you did it!

Abounding Treasures said...

Michele,

I have figured out Flickr for odds and ends of pix that I use in the sidebar but not for backgrounds! No matter how many times I followed instructions in the tutorial, it just didn't work.

Image Shack worked with my very 1st try so that's what I'll stick with for sure :o)
* * *
Teri,

Yes, it's a spirea and is just now looking a bit past its prime so I'm thankful I took the pix when I did :o)

Your yard sounds much like ours in that our front is degrees cooler while the side deck and most of the back yard are open to the elements.

We also love the cooler temps in front but it means that I have to be *very* careful to always water the flowers along the front beneath the shade of the maple since they are so well protected that the rainfall doesn't even reach them :o(

Your blue spruce sounds lovely ~ when you start your *own blog* you can show us pix of some of these things :o)
* * *
Phoebe,

That's good because I probably wouldn't be able to explain it very well :o)

I found an online tutorial for using backgrounds and it was very simple and straightforward. Let me know if you every want the link.

Have a wonderful weekend everyone!

~~Deby said...

Oh congratulations, this is just not one area I have learned, amongst others...it looks great....
I will keep trying here and there, I just get so frustrated.
woooohoooo for you.
Deby

Black Cat said...

Can I have the link, please?

Abounding Treasures said...

Deby & Phoebe,

Here are the links that I have found *really* helpful --

FOR BACKGROUNDS:
http://tips-for-new-bloggers.
blogspot.com/2007/03/background
-image-for-blogger-template.html

For HEADERS to be CENTERED:
http://fambee.blogspot.com/2008/
03/tutorialbee-how-to-center-head
-image.html

You could cut & paste the URL and
browse them to your heart's content.

I did what Michele at *Cherish the Home* suggested ~ I created a 2nd blog as a *test blog* and tried out my background & header changes there first before I put them *live* on my actual blog :o)

All the best and have a wonderful weekend :o)

Black Cat said...

Thank you for the links. I might pluck up the courage some day!

Abounding Treasures said...

Phoebe,

Don't be nervous ~ if I can learn, anyone can :o)

Here's a link where you can experiment with photos that you may have, either to make a header or to put together a mosaic of a subject or to *frame* something --

http://bighugelabs.com/flickr/

You don't have to register or give any info but can just use their special effects and I guarantee you'll love it :o)

Thanks for popping by today!!

Jodi said...

Your blog looks lovely! I've had that same thing happen with different photo uploaders before - they're just not all created equal, I guess. It certainly can get confusing ... or should that word be frustrating! :) It sounds like you had a lovely visit with your friend.

Abounding Treasures said...

Hello Jodi,

After trying SO many times, I'd have to say the fitting word was *frustrating*!

Thanks for your kind compliment ~ once I finally figured it out, I really enjoyed doing it :o)

Have a lovely week ahead.