Today was a very busy day, beginning with a morning appointment for an oil change and removal of our snow tires. That took almost 2 hours so I used the opportunity to crochet another dishcloth in pastel shades.From there I popped into one of our grocery stores to buy some more of the delicious seedless grapes that are on sale -- can you tell I'm frugal :o)
Then it was home for a sandwich and cup of tea before heading over to visit a friend of ours living in a local senior's home where there was going to be a Hymn Sing for 1/2 an hour upstairs and then another 1/2 hour downstairs for those unable to manage stairs.
There were about 50 senior residents and a few extras in the way of family and/or friends upstairs and during the singing, coffee, tea, juice and biscuits were passed around. Some who really enjoyed the singing followed the 3 singers [one of whom played a large portable keyboard] downstairs but overall, there were far fewer.
This trio of 3 seniors performs all over our local area in nursing homes and such and are really enjoyed by anyone listening. I joined in when I was visiting last month and so enjoyed it that I wanted to make a point of being there on day of the month that they visit :o)
You realize when you visit a place like that just how much a simple smile and handshake mean! There are some who never have a visitor and I know that those who work there and care for them do a wonderful job but it's just not the same, if you know what I mean.
Our friend, saved about 52+ years ago, is very appreciative of all they do and fortunately has many friends and relatives in the area who visit him, but he often says that he just wants to "go home"!
Unfortunately, because of the after-effects of the stroke he suffered last summer, it is unlikely he will ever be able to return to his own home and I often wonder how I would react in the same circumstances?
I think that would be a very difficult thing to accept and an even more difficult thing to embrace.
As a Christian, I think I could only accept and embrace such a drastic change in my life with the Lord's strength and help. I could NEVER do it on my own.
Thankfully we have amazing promises in the Word of God to help and encourage us in the midst of all the trials of our individual lives:
"... for HE hath said,
I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.
Jesus Christ the same
yesterday, and today, and forever.
~Hebrews 13: 5, 8
I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.
Jesus Christ the same
yesterday, and today, and forever.
~Hebrews 13: 5, 8

[Photo is of my maternal GR GR grandmother]
No comments:
Post a Comment