Monday, July 19, 2010

A Scary Experience!!

My husband virtually saved my life yesterday!!

After chewing a piece of BBQ'd steak the way I always do, I swallowed it and for some strange reason, it wouldn't go down!!  I tried swallowing a few more times but nothing budged.  So, I took a drink of water and tried to remain calm . . .

The water came dashing back out and splashed on the table ... the passage was completely blocked and I couldn't speak ~ I was C H O K I N G

My DH jumped up and thumped me on the back while he kept saying that he didn't know what to do.  I sputtered a bit and was still choking.

He realized that he was going to have to THUMP REALLY HARD on my back several times and FINALLY the piece of meat was dislodged and came flying out of my mouth!!!

I was breathing too fast by then and my throat was a bit sore but I was so thankful for his quick thinking and his physical strength and to the Lord for sparing me ~ I guess it was still not my time to be called home.

I'm going to have to learn what to do in similar circumstances because I really don't think I have the physical strength to thump someone hard enough on the back and I've no idea how to do the Heimlich maneuver that is supposed to be used in cases like this!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my! I'm so glad you're okay....

Anonymous said...

I've experienced just how scary this can be...time and time again. I have a narrow esophagus and have to practice taking in small bites and chewing thoroughly. Many times I've been saved by the hitting on the back...but have read that sometimes that can lodge it tighter for some reason.

The Heimlich maneuver is best and everyone needs to learn and practice it...also if you are choking teach your family to know by putting your hands to your throat as a signal when you can't speak.

Glad you were cleared!!

Unknown said...

Dallas, I'm so glad you're fine! Thank God your husband was able to free the piece of steak. I'm glad you're looking into the Heimlich maneuver as it's really helpful to know how to do it! Blessings!

Lady Farmer said...

Thank the Lord you were not alone and your dear hubby was there to help dislodge the obstruction!
Be Blessed, my friend!

Jeannette said...

There are ways to self- administer the Heimlech manuveur too..in case you are ever alone and need to clear the passage way. Good information to know. Thanks for the reminder I will look it up soon and review.
Glad you are well.

Sharon said...

How blessed you are that your hubby knew just what to do! Bless you- and hope today is a much better day!! :)

Susan B said...

Oh Dallas,
I'm so thankful that you are all right! How scary for you! I'm glad your husband was there to help you out...

HOPE said...

So THANKFUL to know you are okay!!!

I did the HM before and it WORKS!

God bless..
HOPE

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

How scary! Thanking God that your husband was near and was able to clear the piece of steak!

I think I will check out self-administering the Heimlech maneuver that was mentioned in Jeannette's comment. My husband used the Heimlech three times... once on his mother, once when Jared choked on a hard pieces of candy and once when Abbey choked on a nickle. Abbey and Jared still remember the event.

Finding Joy said...

That would have been a very scary situation for you both. I have never administer the Heimlech manuveur isn't something I have had to do myself but I have seen in done on TV which would be very different in real life.

I am so glad to hear that you are ok.

Abounding Treasures said...

Michele,

I'm so thankful it turned out the way it did :o)

***

Tammy,

It must be scary for you when this happens frequently! Thanks for the tips!

***

Eden,

Thanks! I've read a bit more and just pray that in a similar situation with someone else, that I'll remember what to do!

***

Raeann,

I know just how blessed I was that afternoon :o)

***

Jeannette,

Thanks for letting me/everyone know that there are ways to self-administer the Heimlich maneuver ~ that's definitely something worth knowing!!

***

Sharon,

Thanks and I agree :o)

***

Sharon,

It was definitely scary and I'm so thankful that my DH was here to help!

***

Hope,

Thanks! When you are called upon to do the HM, I think your memory and panic kick in and you seem to be able to do what you read about!
Am I right?

***

LDH,

I can understand Jared and Abby still remembering when your DH had to administer the HM on them!

It's not an experience a person will ever forget and how great that your husband knew exactly what to do!

I'm going to read about self administering the HM like Jeannette spoke about ~ would be worth knowing :o)

***

Jo,

Thanks! I've never had to administer it and have seen it on TV but believe it would be much different in real life because you're sort of in a panic situation!!

~*~

Blessings to all you dear ladies, this warm Tuesday afternoon!

Anonymous said...

Oh, Dallas, that must have been frightening for both of you! Giving thanks for His goodness to you!

Sweet blessings,
Sharon

Lori said...

Oh Dallas, I am so sorry that you had to go through that. I have had times where I think something may be stuck but thankfully it has gone down. Perhaps you went through this so that you could share with us the need to educate ourselves on what to do..so thank you for that. The Lord always brings good out of things doesn't He? :) So very glad you are ok and that the Lord didn't need you in Heaven just yet. :)

Sharon said...

I'm so happy you are okay!!! That must have been frightening!