Tuesday, January 5, 2010

10 Random Things About Me

1. For some reason, I've always loved clocks and although as a teenager, I dreamed of owning an oak grandfather clock, I don't have one!

Instead, we have an old fashioned wall clock as well as a mantle clock [both wooden] and to make things a bit more interesting, their Westminster chimes ring out at slightly different times :o)

2. I always found I was claustrophobic when I attended the parent-teacher meetings at my children's school ~ I always preferred to sit in the back row or along the sides ~ NEVER at the front :o)

3. My 1st foray into the World Wide Web was in 1998 when I began researching our joint family tree and that's when my passion for genealogy began.

4. In school, I was never very athletic, so when the time came for children to pick someone for their teams, I was always the *2nd to LAST* chosen ... another girl had the *honour* of being the LAST :o(

5. Ever since I can remember, I've always gotten along with older people better than those my own age?!

6. I am AMBIDEXTROUS ~ although I wrote with my left hand as a child, I learned how to write on the chalkboard with my right when I got older because I always planned on becoming a schoolteacher.

7. My tea has to be steaming hot when I drink it!!

8. My 1st pet was at age 4, a cat that I named KITTY . . . I obviously didn't have a lot of imagination!!

9. I'm not fond of change in *real life*, yet love to be able to change my blog decor several times a year ~ definitely no consistency there!!

10. If I had no salt restrictions in my diet, my favourite food would be Szechuan Chinese ~ my husband and I could eat it every night as there is such variety!!

Blessings,

13 comments:

HOPE said...

Dear Dallas...thank you so very much for your loving note and prayers. You also are a great encourager and I appreciate you so much.

I loved this post...I too love Clocks..get it from my mother and her collections. She also likes little cozy lamps and I've followed in her steps yet again!

God bless you in the NEW YEAR with the desires of your heart!
HOPE

Anonymous said...

We have many similar "things about us"!

I too have always gotten along better it seems with older people and also younger people rather than those my own age...interesting.

Blessings,

Mrs. CLB

Anonymous said...

Dallas,
Thank you for sharing. I love clocks, too. I always have since I was a small child. My grandmother had a table clock in the backroom where I would sleep; the tick-tock sound would relax me. My parents have two clocks in their home, but my dad won't let the mantle one chime since it chimes a little later than the grandfather clock.

Blessings,
Miriam

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

Very interesting facts about you, Dallas! It is so fun to get to know our blogging friends better through little glimpses here and there. I love Chinese food too, but isn't Szechuan the hot and spicy kind?

So nice visiting with you today!

Kindly, ldh

susansspace said...

That was such an interesting list, Dallas! It's nice to get to know you better. I prefer coffee to tea, but,like you,...it has to be REALLY HOT!! More time is spent popping it back in the microwave to reheat, than actually drinking it! S: )
Ambidextrious, huh? Good for you!
Afraid I'm a lefty through & through!
Have a great week!
Susan

~~Deby said...

I love these kinds of things and getting to know lovely bloggers, even better...
very enjoyable, Dallas....
Deby

Anonymous said...

This was *such fun* to read!

Kristi said...

I responded to all of your random things. I couldn't help it!

1. I have a friend that you would LOVE to visit. He works on clocks for a living. You would LOVE to visit his shop. All kinds of clocks EVERYWHERE!! Honestly the coolest thing to see!

2. I don't have a problem with those meetings since we homeschool, making me both parent and teacher. Doesn't matter where I sit. ROFL

3. My first foray in the WWW was not until '94. I've been on it ever since. ha!

4. I know all too well about that!! I wasn't very athletic either.

5. ME TOO! There is much wisdom in the older people and, despite what the younger generation will say, they are quite fun to be around!!

6. Can't write worth a flip with my left hand. LOL

7. I like mine hot, but not necessarily steaming. :)

8. Seriously, my first cat's name was Kitty too. On our way to school one morning we found her dead on the side of the road. I was heartbroken. That night we had her funeral. Before daddy shoveled the dirt over top of Kitty I cried out, "Daddy, NO! Kitty's tail is sticking out of the shoebox!" I don't know why my family found that funny, for I was still crying! ;)

9. I'm the exact same way! Don't like real life change, but do like changing my blog around a bit. Why is that, I wonder? Do we feel safer and more secure on our blog? Is it because we can control that change and not the changes that come in real life?

10. This only pertains to the thought of salt, but I stopped eating fast food french fries because the workers always seem to want to bathe them in salt. If you have to blow salt off your fries in order to taste the actual fry (or fri), then they've been salted too much!!

~Kristi

Finding Joy said...

What a fun post - it was lovely to read. I also love my tea (Jasmine) hot. I might have to "steal" this idea for my blog (if you don't mind).

Hope you are having a nice day.

God Bless

Abounding Treasures said...

Hope,

You are welcome and thanks!

I love lamps too and have them here and there ~ I prefer them to *overhead* lights :o)

***

CLB,

Welcome to my blog! I've been like that since I was as young as 5-7 years old ... don't know why!

***

Miriam,

I find that people either *love* clocks or *hate* having them!

My grandparents had an old mantle clock too and I loved it even as a child.

***

LDH,

Yes, Szechuan is the hot and spicy food but we know of a place that makes all hers homemade and she adjusts the seasonings to a more palatable level :o)

***

Susan,

I've done the same thing with my tea in the microwave the past couple of days because I've been so busy doing something that I haven't drunk it fast enough!

***

Deby,

Thanks -- I know what you mean!

Glad to see that you are feeling well enough to do a little *visting* :o)

***

Michele,

I saw something similar on another blog and it was all about *random* things rather than anything too important so I thought it might be fun!

***

Kristi,

Wow! Your own list was very interesting!!

I would LOVE to visit that person with all the clocks ... I've heard that a GR GR aunt of mine had a literal house-full of clocks in England and that it was almost a part time job running around to wind them all up every week :o)

I know what you mean about fast food french fries -- have you noticed how much salt you can actually SEE at McDonald's BEFORE they even put the newly made fries in the catcher?!

I ask them to make mine SALT FREE and they oblige and you can actually taste them!

[For me, the salt restriction is because of my heart transplant, not because of choice.]

***

Jo,

Be my guest -- it's something I've seen from time to time on other blogs and always enjoyed reading :o)

~*~

Thanks to each of you for your comments which allowed me to get to know you more and especially to Kristi for amazing me by taking the time to share her own!

Blessings,
Dallas

Dee said...

Hi Dallas, I recieved my note cards in the mail yesterday and I LOVE them. I can't wait till I have an opportunity to use them. Thank you for offering the give away that led me to owning these beautiful note cards. :) I enjoyed learning a little more about you from your list and found we have a few things in common. One being that I am also ambidextrous and have the unique talent of being able to write backwards. Sadly I have horrible penmanship

Mo said...

I would have been that 'last' girl. Nobody wanted me on their team either. I couldn't run, jump, catch or throw.

Abounding Treasures said...

Dee,

Glad to hear that you received them already ~ I know with my Etsy shop that sometimes snail mail to the States can take longer than I'd like!

Write backwards!?? Wow! That's a unique talent for sure :o)

***

Mobunny,

Last but not least, right!? :o)

~*~

Blessings to both of you,
Dallas