Thursday, November 19, 2009

Visitors and Visiting

TeaTime by Alison Griffin

Yesterday,
my newly-widowed sister-in-law came over, stayed for lunch and we had a good visit.

On Monday of this week a friend with a car picked me up so we could visit an elderly friend in a senior's complex. We not only had a good visit with this gentleman, but she was blessed to meet his next door neighbours, a wonderful Christian couple who both lost their first spouses to cancer.

On our way out, we stopped by to say hello to an elderly Christian woman who spent 40 years as a missionary in Nigeria and whom I had visited once before.

If ever discouraged and needing encouragement, she would be someone to visit for when I come away from chatting with her, I feel encouraged, inspired, challenged and reminded of all that the Lord has done for me and just how thankful I ought to be. I walk away with a new spring in my step and joy bubbling over in my heart . . .

She has severe macular degeneration and cannot see straight in front of her, but this dear sister in Christ simply exudes joy, hope, love and worship as she speaks!

I realize that often, in the midst of our own trials and tribulations, when we least expect it, the Lord sends someone along or helps us get our hearts centered in Him so that we can be a help to someone else.

After all, He doesn't want me to carry my burdens alone --- He EXPECTS me to roll them on His shoulders.

I lose out when I don't and I find out quickly that my own shoulders are far too small . . .

Blessings,

7 comments:

NanaNor's said...

Greetings dear Dallas, What a wonderful post-I can just imagine your visits-loving and ministering for the Lord. Our Lord is so good.
Thank you for sharing.
Hugs, Noreen

Farrah said...

Very true! I think it is very neat that you visit the elderly. My paternal grandmother used to go weekly to the nursing home to play music for them. I would often go with her if I was out of school for the day. Such wonderful memories.

Deborah said...

Thank you for such an encouraging post!

Deborah said...

P.S. I've been listening to some of your husband's songs on the sidebar. What a blessing!

Finding Joy said...

My mother (aged 78) had a stroke in early 2008 and is now pretty much confined to her home due to the disabilities the stroke left her with. At the beginning she just wanted to died and go straight to heaven as it was all too much - but then she quickly realised that God did have a plan for her - however it was something different to what she had planned!!

Even thought she is house bound - she can still talk, therefore she makes phones calls to those friends and family in need eg my mother-in-law is dying from cancer and often needs a comforting word from a fellow Christian or my cousin who is very ill. So we all have a purpose no matter what - and we must trust in our heavenly Father as he knows what he is doing!

Jo

Abounding Treasures said...

Noreen,

I hope my visits give a tiny blessing but in the case of the former missionary, it's HER visit with me that blesses and encourages me far more!!

***

Farrah,

What wonderful memories indeed of going with your grandmother to help sing and play music for the elderly ~ I admire her gift for doing that and know from the place that I go to from time to time, just HOW MUCH the seniors there appreciate those people!

***

Deborah,

Thanks for those encouraging words and I am so glad that you are enjoying some of my husband's music in my sidebar - I'll let him know :o)

***

Jo,

Your mother has discovered the new direction the Lord is giving her as a field ... she is being used to bless others and in doing so, is blessed and encouraged herself ~ that's wonderful ... thanks for sharing!

~*~

Blessings to each of you this Friday,
Dallas

TO BECOME said...

I loved your post. I just stopped by to thank you for the encouragement you have been to me over the last year and thank you for your friendship. I wanted to wish you and yours a very HAPPY THANKSGIVING. connie