Tuesday, October 27, 2009

To Vaccinate or Not -- That is the Question! *UPDATED*

As strongly suggested by my Heart Transplant Clinic, I get a regular flu shot every fall.

This year with the new H1N1 vaccine, things are more complicated as it's so new and appears to be an unknown vaccination in terms of people with organ transplants.

Every province in Canada is doing things differently in the order in which the regular and H1N1 vaccines are offered to the public and the order in which they are given.

I have read and heard in places that the H1N1 vaccine should be given BEFORE the regular flu shot . . . preferably leaving about 2 weeks between, otherwise problems may arise.

Quoted just the other day in our local newspaper, the chief public health officer, said "health officials are expecting the H1N1 influenza A virus, which caused the current swine flu pandemic, to be the dominant flu virus this fall.

That means the seasonal flu vaccine will be LESS IMPORTANT for people who are younger than 65 and not in a long-term care facility.

 

The government will begin seasonal flu vaccinations for seniors first and swine flu vaccinations for the rest of the population in early November. It expects to shift back to seasonal flu immunization in early January.
Other parts of Canada have adopted similar vaccination protocols this fall, partly in response to preliminary results of Canadian research that suggest the seasonal flu shot may put people at GREATER RISK for getting swine flu."

As you can sense from this posting, I am confused and unsure of what to do . . . I just sent off an email requesting more information and guidance from my Heart Transplant Clinic nurse and hope to hear from her in a couple of days.

Does anyone else have any experience with any of this?







After creating this post, I came across the following online by a US medical doctor and include it here for consideraton ~


"Dear Editor,

As a practicing physician of 29 years, I am encouraging people to not be scared or browbeaten into getting the new swine flu vaccine that is becoming available.

Clinical trials of safety and effectiveness started in August 2009. In the first place, so far the swine flu has not been nearly as deadly as the usual seasonal influenza A and B.

Secondly, the vaccine has no proof of safety based on the minimal studies done so far.

Thirdly, the vaccine has thimerosal, a mercury preservative that is toxic to all humans.

Fourth, the vaccine has an adjuvant [squalene] added that not only has not been approved by the FDA, but has substantial concerns that it triggers autoimmune disease. An adjuvant is added to vaccines to boost the immune response of the human who receives the vaccine.

There are a number of ways to help boost the immune system to help prevent infection or lessen the severity of ones that do occur. I advise researching more on the swine flu vaccine before you commit yourself or your loved ones to the irrevocable step of being injected by a potentially dangerous vaccine.

In medicine, risk and benefit should always be considered before undertaking a course of action. My opinion is that the risks far outweigh the benefits of this vaccine.

Daniel Blodgett, MD


UPDATE 

I received an email this morning from the Transplant Clinic and they contacted another province's clinic as well as one of the special transplant pharmacists who emphasized that there is NO MORE mercury in the H1N1 vaccine than in a small can of tuna ~ which I happily eat and has been a favourite for years!

I've inclued a link to the Canadian government special FLU SITE because it gives all sorts of helpful and current information regarding the H1N1 vaccine and helped me make an informed decision. [it might be of help to those in other countries as well, even if just for more information]

I AM going to get this vaccine but am going to WAIT 2 WEEKS to receive the seasonal flu shot because of things I've read and simply because it makes more sense to NOT barrage my immune system which is compromised by all my transplant meds, with 2 ANTIGENS at the same time, whether or not they give them in different arms!!


Thanks to everyone who shared their concerns and their help in my dilemna :o)



9 comments:

Jeannette said...

I so appreciate your dilemma and thank you for laying your process and other resources out. Caution and lots of reliable information is essential in making these decisions. One of my respected M.D.s told me he is supposed to tell me to get vaccinated but he himself will not be. Then a new internist during my first visit told me that she doesn't know me well enough to advise me yet, but she thinks it is good that I read and research and make a decision based on my circumstances.
"Read a lot" seems to be the key clue in what she said...it is a little different than giving directions to the nearest vaccine clinic. So that there are 2 US docs obviously not totally pro gung ho for the seasonal or H1N1 shots.
BUT special circustances may weight the benefit-risk ratio.
Clarity and peace often come with prayer...so I try to not read "all alone."

~~Deby said...

Wellllll...since you asked..in my research...WE won't be doing it...heard this am the leader of MY country...ahemmm....well his daughters haven't gotten it yet ? Out of it....oh...go to you tube there is a wealth of information

Susan B said...

Hi Dallas,
I've been concerned about taking the swine flu vaccination because it is so new. My daughter Michelle is a liver transplant recipient, and we always get the regular flu shot every year. She contacted her transplant coordinator, and she said she can get the shot, but not the nasal vaccine because it is a live virus. I'll have her ask her again about what she thinks about the safety of the shot. Thank you for printing the letter from the doctor. I'll print it out. I need to do more research. I've felt uneasy about it. Thank you for the information.

HOPE said...

Thank you for posting this info from a doctor's point of view. A friend of mine with small children's doctor told her the same thing.

I pray you find peace with the decision and need that you have concerning your own health.

God bless..
HOPE

Mrs. E said...

Very good information~
Thank you so much for the practical
vital post!!! :)

Love in Christ~ Miss Jen

Deborah said...

Thank you for this info. I called my mom yesterday and read it to her. My parents are in their eighties, and I wanted them to have some facts before seeing their doctor.

Dee said...

My Frank will see his transplant cardiologist on Monday. He has not had his transplant yet..he just had his regular flu shot two weeks ago. We were told not to get the nasal spray because of the live virus.We will trust God the doctors oppinion if it will be safe for him I am going to chose not to get it for myself. I also heard if you were born before 1950 you did not need it. This reminds me of the (Sars ?) or bird flu. Now you do not hear about it.

susansspace said...

Very interesting post, Dallas!
The comments by the doctor about the H1N1 vaccine are pretty much what I've been thinking all along.
We had already decided to not get the vaccine. I realize your case is
a little different, though, since you are a transplant recipient. I
a few of my friends & neighbors have had the swine flu this year, & after a couple of days, they were fine.

Abounding Treasures said...

Jeannette,

Thanks for your thoughtful comments and suggestions and a big welcome to my blog!

And it is very true that clarity and peace of mind come with prayer, eventually :o)

***

Deby,

Yes, I read an interesting link that was sent to me today regarding research the CBS has done into the CDA and how they didn't test H1N1 for very long once it was declared a pandemic :o(

***

Susan,

My transplant recipient team said the same thing ~ get both shots and then I sent them that letter to the editor and the email back to me was go ahead with the regular flu shot but HOLD OFF on the H1N1 until I hear from them!

The only problem with that is I've heard you should get the reg flu shot AFTER the H1N1 or there might be problems.

***

Hope,

Thanks for your concern on my behalf!

I must admit that if I wasn't a heart transplant recipient, I would get ONLY the seasonal flu shot and wait and see what is discovered about this new vaccine 1 year down the road.

***

Miss Jen,

You are very welcome :o)

***

Deborah,

I was happy to accidentally come across the article too because he gave a lot of info that I hadn't heard before!

All the best to your parents in this decision.

***

Dee,

All the best to Frank as he sees his Dr, etc.

In Canada, we've heard that if you were born BEFORE 1957, you were UNLIKELY to get the swine flu so I just miss being *safe* I guess :o)

***

Susan,

Glad your friends' cases of the swine flu didn't last that long.

In Canada this past weekend, a 13 yr old boy got sick on a Saturday and by Sunday he was dead with the swine flu ~ he was very healthy and had been playing at a hocky tournament.

~*~

Thanks to all of you for sharing your opinions, concern and prayer for my peace of mind concerning this new vaccine!

Blessings,
Dallas

***