Monday, August 17, 2009

Smaller, Less Noisy Pleasures

Sunlight by Stephen Darbishire

"When I was on my feet, big boisterous pleasures
provided only fleeting satisfaction.

In a wheelchair, satisfaction settles in as I sit
under an oak tree on a windy day
and delight in the rustle of the leaves
or sit by a fire
and enjoy the soothing strains of a symphony.

These smaller, less noisy pleasures are rich because,
unlike the fun on my feet,
these things yield patience,
endurance, and a spirit of gratitude,
all of which fits me further for eternity.

It is this yieldedness that gains you
the most here on earth."

~ Joni Eareckson Tada ~

6 comments:

NanaNor's said...

Hi Dallas, Such a profund post-loved it and yes I think we all need to slow down a bit and enjoy quiet and still moments-to make that a lifestyle.
Have a blessed day!
Hugs, Noreen

Anonymous said...

Wow, this is a truly inspiring quote, thank you for sharing it.

Love the picture too. (o:

Mrs. E said...

Yes indeed!
AMEN!!!!

Love~ Miss Jen

Abounding Treasures said...

Noreen,

I couldn't agree more!

***

Michele,

You're welcome! I found it simple, profound and very inspiring too!

***

Jen,

Glad you appreciated it and AMEN to all that it says so simply, profoundly and beautifully!

~*~

Blessings to each of you,
Dallas

Susan B said...

A very beautiful post. It gives me much to think about. Thank you.

Abounding Treasures said...

Susan,

It gave me a lot to think about as well ...

Blessings,
Dallas